• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well get this started :L

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Don't sign Looch, trade Gaborik and then in two years let Brown go in expansion.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the D FA list
Backes (Stl)
Seabrook (Chi)
Johnson (Col)
Yandle (NYR)

NHL's Top 16 UFAs-to-be in 2016: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

Backes is a C, he would be a good 2C/3C, but is 31, and would cost too much. Kings need to upgrade their bottom 6, Vinny was good on faceoffs, but not much else, hope he doesn't screw the Kings over by not retiring. Carter should be moved back out to RW, as he's more effective out there. Thus the need for 2C & 3C. Shore/Andreoff can platoon the 4C spot until one of them assumes control of it.

I'd love to get Seabrook, but the Kings are in serious cap restraints, going to have to shed a player or two (Brown, Muzzin preferably, maybe even Greene as he obviously can't stay healthy anymore). Kings seriously need a #2 Dman (have needed one since the loss of Voynov), Martinez is at best a #3, they may shop McNabb as well, as he is a RFA. But they need more draft picks to accumulate more assets on the back end like they were doing 6-7 years ago.

Definitely think the Kings are going to be more aggressive this summer to clear up room, to give them more options. Just hope it works out, may take another couple of years to get back to being a serious contender.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You are correct, Backes is a C.

I wouldn't mind seeing Greene, Gaborik off the books. Versteeg I wouldn't mind seeing back on the 3rd line.
As for Seabrook, likely he will command top dollar but I don't see how Chicago keeps him with all the money spent on Towes and Kane.

The D pairings I also wouldn't mind to start the season would be:

Doughty Aquired Player
Muzzin Martinez
Schenn (if he is resigned) Gravel

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with Schenn as a 5/6 D pairing, likely taking the place of Greene. Gravel didn't look overwhelmed when he was up, so that is cheap option on the bottom. Have a feeling the Kings are going to cast off Forbort, as he just hasn't developed.

Feel the untouchables on the roster are:

Kopitar
Doughty
Quick
Carter
Toffoli
Gaborik*

*I'd keep Gaborik for one more year, he tends to be healthy in the odd numbered years, so next year could work. Everyone else should be on the table IMO. The loss of secondary leadership (Stoll, Williams, Richards, Mitchell) can't be understated going forward.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Enroth so set the world on fire when he had the chance a la Jones. NOT!! If true, what a knucklehead. What did he expect signing behind Quick? Thought he'd beat him out? Ridiculous.
I don't know why this bothered me so much. I just hate stupidity.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well, Enroth so set the world on fire when he had the chance a la Jones. NOT!! If true, what a knucklehead. What did he expect signing behind Quick? Thought he'd beat him out? Ridiculous.
I don't know why this bothered me so much. I just hate stupidity.
I agree, I do think there could've been one or two more games at most where he could've started but other than that, do your job Enroth.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly he was hoping for Quick to be injured, I don't see more then 2 or 3 starts he should have gotten

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly he was hoping for Quick to be injured, I don't see more then 2 or 3 starts he should have gotten

I respect the competitiveness in his comments.

On the one hand, it's no secret that Quick plays a ton of games every year, I'm sure Enroth was aware of that coming to LA. On the other hand, I do agree with him, he should have had a few more starts than he did.

I remember a B2B situation in February where Quick played both games, I for sure thought Enroth would have gotten one of them. I think Sutter could have deployed him a little more than he did but his comment about 20-25 games, no way dude - not in LA with Quick here. That's wishful thinking.

Regardless, there are a ton of RFA/UFA goalies hitting the market this summer so finding a back up shouldn't be too hard or expensive. A few guys that come to mind (UFA) are Reimer, Ward, Johnson so there will be plenty of options.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the defense will really need to be retooled big time this summer. That is the staple of Kings hockey, everything starts from the back end and the last few years it's taken hit after hit after hit. In the meantime, guys like Kopitar and Toffolli needed contracts which ate up valuable cap room. It's what happens in a cap world and the Kings are now at the point we all discussed way back in 2011 and 2012, serious decisions need to be made.

Doughty/Muzzin/Martinez make a decent T3 but after that it's downhill. Scuderi looked slow (but still smart), McNabb is absolutely useless and needs to be traded, McBain did the best he could in a limited role but I wouldn't use him on a nightly basis and Greene is up in the air because of the injuries. Forbert and Gravel will get serious looks this camp because they are on ELCs although Forbert has one year left and Gravel two. One of those two will most likely bring up the third pair.

Schenn played his role very well I thought, and I hope the Kings find a way to keep him. Assuming he is here, that still is only Doughty/Muzzin/Martinez/Schenn/Scuderi/Greene. None of this sounds as intimidating as the 2012 or 2014 defense.

This is from an ESPN article over the weekend after they shit bagged the series:

"Lack of depth on D," said one Western Conference general manager from an opposing team Friday, when asked to analyze the Kings he saw in the end. "And also, frankly, they're a little slow. They're very big, and I applaud that. But I see the pace of their play as being a bit slow and the lack of depth on D as the two main things."

Kings have serious decisions to make in the summer

I think guys like King need to be moved, he has stalled out big time. Pearson really started to turn it on after his benching, he was a much better player down the stretch and I would say arguably one of the best players the last 2-3 months. Toffoli just went AWOL big time, he has shown to be a streaky scorer (most are) in his career thus far but needs to be kept.

Lucic will remain a King, he played really well overall for LA and I read they are very close. How the hell that is happening, I have no idea, but that's a good thing. Wouldn't mind seeing Versteeg back in the mix on the third line somehow, I think he fit in well with this group but as always money will be an issue.

The main issue is if Dumbo can find a way to get rid of Brown's contract and free up even $3.5 million each year on that deal, the Kings can look for a legitimate T4 defender. Move Brown and McNabb, use some salary retention, land a young (26-28) T4? Just putting stuff out there.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am about how Sutter used the talent, esp the forwards. Granted the guy knows hockey way way better than I do, but I absolutely do not understand playing King with a rusty Gaborik on the top line, with your best player Kopitar, in the playoffs. How was Lucic not LW on that line? Also, the Pearson-Carter-Toffoli line should have been reunited #2, they could have played well against the speed of the Sharks. Hawks fans still shudder when talking how that line gave their d fits when we beat them in 7. I just don't get not putting your best foot forward when it matters most. King on #1??? I would have thought that was DeBoer's idea of a joke if you told me that before game 1.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like the Mcstiffs gone, I also would like to cut ties with Greene as Schenn is a good replacement. Scuds isn't ideal but I would be ok as a 5/6 guy. King is a waste of a roster spot, I would rather see Versteeg for a season. Shore can go, I was ok with AA he was decent more often then not. Brown, wish he would go. Gabs for one more year.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Decisions ,Decisions, that will be the theme of the summer for sure.

I echo the frustrations of the line combinations that Sutter threw out there. Sutter usually does juggle his lines so I am not sure why he didn't ditch the Dwight King is a T6 within minutes knowing that it wasn't going to work. He should've moved Versteeg up and as Psych said, reunite the 70's line.

As for the offseason, wouldn't/couldn't the Kings just bring up Budaj rather than going after some of these FA goalies? I think he might be cheaper.

With Lucic, understandably, we are all going to have differing opinions. I am on the fence with him. We need a bit front net presence and he showed us life during the season and than just went missing in the PO. If he wants more than $5M I'd say no, he's not worth that. I would say his contract should be around $4.2-$4.5.

I too wouldn't mind seeing Schenn back holding up the third paring with Gravel/Forbot along with Versteeg on the third line with Dowd (I don't think we can pay Lewis). Sadly, the bottom forward lines were our best ones in the series.

I don't think Brown goes until the expansion draft unless Dumbo can somehow a deal to move him for a D-man. That deal however, will likely have to include a prospect (Kempe) or Pearson and possibly us paying some some salary. I would love it though if that prospect were Shore.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings still own the rights to Voynov, correct? Maybe package his rights along with other folks to either a) clear up cap space and/or b) acquire d-man