• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Voynov was named to the Team Russia World Cup of Hockey.

Yes, but the World Cup is run by the NHLPA and NHL, I don't think he will be part of their opening day roster. The IIHF honors NHL rulings, I can't see the World Cup committee being any different. Bertuzzi for example was not allowed to play in Europe during the lockout if you recall because he was indefinitely suspended by the NHL for the Moore incident in 2004. he went overseas like a lot of NHLers and they said no and sided with the NHL. Other examples exist as well.

They are allowing Voynov to earn a living in the KHL - that's a human right - but tournaments like this are special privileges and honors to players and I think they will not approve him playing.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not big on rumor sites but found this one over the weekend:

The Fourth Period :: Los Angeles Kings :: Moves expected in Los Angeles

Not sure where the information about Lewis is coming from, if anything I see him as being the most likely resigned of the 3 mentioned because he is a 4C utility player and a way better option than Shore or Andreoff, although Andreoff got better as the season went along. Shore...don't even know what to say about that guy, solid defensively but he has worse hands than Lewis and HOS himself, Craig Johnson. If this guy nets 15 career goals I'd be shocked.

Money of course is the factor, he could likely get more than the Kings will be able to offer on the open market but he has spent his career here, is respected in the locker room, hustles and is a team first guy. Dumbo loves those types of guys, but if he is resigned I hope he doesn't hand out a 4 year/$10 million deal or something, Dumbo is slipping on the loyalty contracts and needs to reign himself in to reality. Already been burned big time on Richards and Brown although he did not issue the Richards contract.

I would like to see Schenn resigned, but that depends on what he is looking for. The Kings hit was $1.8 million, but that was because Philadelphia retained the other $1.8 million ($3.6 million total cap hit). He won't be gettig anywhere near that in LA being a 5/6 defender, maybe $2 million tops so again money is the issue here. I don't think Versteg will be here. If Lucic is not resigned, I think the Kings need to look at a guy like Eriksson or even McGinn as a cheaper alternative. Versteeg is a LW as well, so he could be in the mix if Lucic is not resigned but I am confident Lucic is back in black in Oct.

Anyway...some Tuesday morning fodder. Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend and thank you to all that served.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Voynov somehow is allowed to play in the World Cup, that would certainly be a step towards getting him back in the NHL. Do not think the Kings would ever try to bring him back. They would try to trade and sell it "a fresh start" for his career.
Then again, seems wrong to wish for a person with such a criminal record to get anything good. Just a reflection of how the Kings' bare asset cupboard will make one grasp for options.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised. His past will haunt him for quite some time unfortunately.

Still haunts the Kings too, they had to scramble to replace him, never could, and then guys were playing out of their capabilities and it affected the defense big time.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize, that if the Fish win the Cup, we will never hear the end of it.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking like what Sekera did, chasing the $

My gut still says he will stay here, but I don't think he is "chasing the money". He will likely get a deal similar to what he signed in Boston, so the money isn't the biggest factor I see - it's term. If he leaves for say $6.5 million, that's really not a huge increase from what he got on his last deal so I can't say he chased the money.

Sekera, however, absolutely correct - he chased the money going from $2.75 million/season to $5.5 million a season. He will pay for it too, Edmonton is nowhere near contending and won't be by the time his deal is up. He will be 35 and not a legitimate T2 defender anymore.

If he does leave and it's definite he will not be a King, I would hope the Kings trade his rights for at least a 2md round pick since they paid a big price to get him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be, but I also see it as truth and not as much a leverage play as say an Offer Sheet or something (were he eligible).

I don't think he is dumb enough to bank on being with LA 100%, he should be making Plan B and Plan C and Plan D knowing that the Kings are in a tough spot financially.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I simply don't see Looch as a 6.5 million player. I just don't. He puts up 20 and is a big body, but he has a temper issue that is worse than DD. If he gets hit he tends to throw a tantrum or go after the guy that hit him instead of sticking with the play. He has taken plenty of stupid penalties that a seasoned vet should not be taking. Just my opinion, but when he signs his next big contract, he won't be the same player next year, I believe that he is on the down swing.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I simply don't see Looch as a 6.5 million player. I just don't. He puts up 20 and is a big body, but he has a temper issue that is worse than DD. If he gets hit he tends to throw a tantrum or go after the guy that hit him instead of sticking with the play. He has taken plenty of stupid penalties that a seasoned vet should not be taking. Just my opinion, but when he signs his next big contract, he won't be the same player next year, I believe that he is on the down swing.

I have to disagree with some of your comments, but not all. I do not see him as a $6.5 million player also but that is what the market may dictate. I would think he is between $5.5 and $6 million. His skill set is rare, size, skill and nasty. I think if he hits the UFA market there will be no shortage of suitors, and some will pay in excess of that $6.5 million.

The guy is 27 though, so I don't think he is on the downswing. If he was 30 I would agree with you. His last year in Boston he didn't have Krejci as his centerman and it showed. Lucic isn't a guy who will generate a lot on his own unless he is bulling his way to the net, but it takes a solid centerman to help him do that. Case in point is Kopitar, who he played with almost all season long, and it showed as he hit 20 goals again (first time in 2 years) and his second highest output (55 points) in 5 years. He is a natural fit in LA from what I have seen.

I do agree he was a bit of a loose cannon at times, especially what we saw in the opener against SJ and Couture, but I think he also contained himself more and more as the season went on. It was refreshing though to see one of the Kings be like that, the last one like that was Deadmarsh. I think Deadmarsh was more skilled than Lucic but Lucic added a bit more sandpaper. Deadmarsh topped out at 60 points I think with LA during his short but memorable time here, Lucic came only 5 points short of that playing in a defense first system.

His response to the slash across his wrist in Phoenix was message sending big time, and I recall seeing him as the first guy there to defend a teammate when called up. I specifically remember an after-whistle skirmish involving Toffoli and Lucic was there to step in and the opposition just cleared out. He kept other teams honest and alert that repercussions were coming if you took liberties with Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Doughty, etc.

If the Kings can squeeze in a 5 year/$27.5 million ($5.5 million/season) or $28.75 million ($5.75 million/season) deal I think that would make both sides happy.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14 mill saparates Looch and Kings. Combination of money and years.

Lucic and Kings reportedly a ways apart on contract talks.

Guess I should have read this one first...

=)~~

I think 6 years/$36 million is too much, I think my proposed contract above should work. He gets an extra year, the Kings get a little bit of discount. Win win, now the two just need to inch closer towards bridging the gap.

This is a direct result of Richards' cap penalties and Brown's contract, exemplifies why it is so important to make tough decisions involving players no matter how popular they are or how much you (a GM) loves them.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lombardi thought he would be able to move Brown easily and be able to fit Lucic. Most of us knew these contracts where going to catch up to us and bite us on the ass. I mentioned years ago during the Richards buyout period that every $$ is going to really matter with the cap and hurt the team, its not a secret and good GM's know where to put there cap while others deal them out and hope to fix it later or change jobs.....sometimes it works and most times it doesn't. I want to be loyal to the players as well, but success is hard to achieve and even harder to keep. If a player can leave for a better gig why is it wrong for a fan to want to see his team fix problems before they happen?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lombardi thought he would be able to move Brown easily and be able to fit Lucic. Most of us knew these contracts where going to catch up to us and bite us on the ass.

Matter of time, that's the way the system works. You get a decent player on an ELC, then you give him good second contract and then they hit the bigger dollars/blockbuster dollars. In the meantime the second contracts turn into the bigger dollars/blockbuster dollars, contract terms overlap and viola, tons of money invested in a handful of guys identified as core or long term players and decisions need to be made.

This is exactly why drafting and developing your own homegrown talent is so critical under the cap system, if you do it right you can have a set group of core and high dollar guys and augment it as needed every 2-3 years. That is what the Hawks have done and they have had to part with many quality players because of the cap system but they have done well in drafting and then finding guys like Panarin.

The Kings are in this exact boat but at least in the Hawks' case they were able to lose some contracts (Campbell for example) because of connections (Tallon was Chicago's GM before going to Florida). I am looking for potential connections where Brown may be moved in a similar manner and the obvous one is Philadelphia with Hextall. However, they have Schenn needing a contract and don't have a lot of space. I'll have to check other folks Dumbo has worked with in the past and see what else is there.

I mentioned years ago during the Richards buyout period that every $$ is going to really matter with the cap and hurt the team, its not a secret and good GM's know where to put there cap while others deal them out and hope to fix it later or change jobs.....sometimes it works and most times it doesn't. I want to be loyal to the players as well, but success is hard to achieve and even harder to keep. If a player can leave for a better gig why is it wrong for a fan to want to see his team fix problems before they happen?

I too think a lot of GMs sign players long term to absurd contracts thinking they will not be there to clean up the mess 5-8 years later. Immediately the Parise and Suter contracts come to mind, identical 13 year/$98 million deals signed by Chuck Fletcher. He has been there since 2009 but with that much term left on the deals (2012), anyone think he will be there another 9 years? I sometimes wonder if that is what Dumbo is thinking too.

And I agree, it's a two-way street. Fans get super excited when they get a big name, keep a fan favorite and what not but then they should expect this is a business and not all moves are going to pan out and need to be addressed.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll know in a week or 2 if Lombardi has a trade partner for Brown. If he does, then as mentioned above, Lucic would more or less get the $$$ (and maybe term) left on the Brown contract.