• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So to start out the season, Ross & Kirkman are going to start out the season as the setup men... eh? :wtf2: Course, it will be the Astros that they are facing. :yahoo:

Ron Washington pegs Robbie Ross, Michael Kirkman as Texas Rangers? setup men ?out of the chute? | Texas Rangers Blog

Ogando will pitch the 3rd game against the Astros & Holland get the Opening Day @ the Ballpark nod.

4 days everybody. 4 days.

Who would you suggest as setup at this point given that as far as I know the final 2 bullpen spots are still open?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you suggest as setup at this point given that as far as I know the final 2 bullpen spots are still open?

I look for Tanner Sheppers to get a little work in the set up roll.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Soria arrives I imagine it's going to be a little bit of setup by committee.

Even after he gets here it will probably be whoever has the hot hand. A guy coming off a years worth of DL will need some time to get his feet on the ground.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ortiz made the team. Good for him. He deserved it.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 forecast -- Texas Rangers should be in wild-card hunt - ESPN Dallas
i say we go 94-68

some interesting tidbits i saw in the espn preview....

june we only have 2 days off and play 10 day games (dont have to worry about joshs eyes anymore)

august we have every thursday off with 3 of them being at home and only have 10 games at home (heat not gonna be a big factor in august/well rested for stretchrun??)

sept. we play 10 of 17 at home including the final 7...3 astro's and final 4 against angels

:thumb:....im ready lets go

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I just don't see it with the Angels. Texas has tried to go the route of just out hitting everyone, and it didn't work.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I just don't see it with the Angels. Texas has tried to go the route of just out hitting everyone, and it didn't work.

I agree Weaver is overrated, but they have solid guys slotted behind him, its not like they are garbage; Wilson, Hanson, Vargas and Blanton, with Williams and Richards being serviceable injury options

And Freiri, Madson, Downs, Burnett and Jepsen are pretty solid bullpen guys

Do I think the the media overrates them? Absolutely, but I also think many people here want to underrate them b/c of last year, which is a mistake

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As Jamey noted in his email today ... Baseball Prospectus has TEX farm system ranked #2 and LAA ranked #30. Baseball America ... TEX #3 and LAA #30.

You have to have an ownership and management oriented to the long term, sustained solution to get to where TEX has been for quite a few years. You also have to be in a market where there isn't a "win now at any cost" priority.

LAA and NYY are both located in markets where there is a "win now" mentality. TV money is huge and in those other markets the demand to "win now" only magnifies the orientation. Those TV outlets expect that the money they invest will show up right away with a block buster winner from year one. They are in the entertainment business. The heat is turned up even more when there is a major market competitor over in the next county ... LAD-LAA and NYY-NYM.

This major difference in market in my opinion is why TEX has the ownership and management perspective that it does. In the long term ... I think the TEX method is the more productive. All LAA and NYY have to show for recent expenditures is disappointment ... perhaps due to the fact they spent a lot of money for NAMES ... and denied considering value and predictable future performance.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Jamey noted in his email today ... Baseball Prospectus has TEX farm system ranked #2 and LAA ranked #30. Baseball America ... TEX #3 and LAA #30.

You have to have an ownership and management oriented to the long term, sustained solution to get to where TEX has been for quite a few years. You also have to be in a market where there isn't a "win now at any cost" priority.

LAA and NYY are both located in markets where there is a "win now" mentality. TV money is huge and in those other markets the demand to "win now" only magnifies the orientation. Those TV outlets expect that the money they invest will show up right away with a block buster winner from year one. They are in the entertainment business. The heat is turned up even more when there is a major market competitor over in the next county ... LAD-LAA and NYY-NYM.

This major difference in market in my opinion is why TEX has the ownership and management perspective that it does. In the long term ... I think the TEX method is the more productive. All LAA and NYY have to show for recent expenditures is disappointment ... perhaps due to the fact they spent a lot of money for NAMES ... and denied considering value and predictable future performance.

Amen

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Verlander gets 7/180
Posey gets 9/167
Kershaw is on the verge of a new deal.....

Come on Elvis!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now CJ has jumped on the Hamilton bandwagon trashing the Rangers

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who cares? Let them be douches together. They can share shoulders to cry on when they miss the post season altogether for a fourth straight year.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how the writer gets that Wilson was trashing Rangers fans by saying that Texas is a football state, which it is or that the Cowboys are a bigger draw, which they are. They have drawn pretty well the last 3 or 4 years, but there is no way they would have drawn 3 million unless they were winning. I'm not a Wilson fan, but this is just someone trying to stir up something.