• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Other Olympics Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness, the Russian women's curling team has a couple of cuties.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Roberto-Luongo-in-a-curling-hat-0216-OLY-CURLING_214406162.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Women's hockey semi-finals are now set:

Semi-final 1: USA vs Sweden
Semi-final 2: Canada vs. Switzerland

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question regarding future Olympic sports. I was wondering how many of you have seen speedway racing on ice? As a kid I watched guys like Alan Christian, Danny Becker, Gene Woods, Kelly Schwartz & Sam Ermolenko at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Speedway on a dirt track. I've seen guys race on the ice indoors at the San Diego Sports Arena & I know the Pro Circuit is HUGE in Europe.

I think they should make Ice Speedway Racing an Olympic Sport. I also believe it would be one of the most popular events of the Olympics. Your thoughts?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting caught up on my curling.

The Canadian women's team are a machine.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still watching SUI CZE hockey before I switch over to curling.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question regarding future Olympic sports. I was wondering how many of you have seen speedway racing on ice? As a kid I watched guys like Alan Christian, Danny Becker, Gene Woods, Kelly Schwartz & Sam Ermolenko at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Speedway on a dirt track. I've seen guys race on the ice indoors at the San Diego Sports Arena & I know the Pro Circuit is HUGE in Europe.

I think they should make Ice Speedway Racing an Olympic Sport. I also believe it would be one of the most popular events of the Olympics. Your thoughts?

I don't know how I feel about cars or motorcycles in the Olympics... seems too big a stretch to me. I already think sailing and horse events are borderline for the summer Olympics. But since they are in, I'd totally be down with some sort of ice-sailing or dog-sledding event in the winter.

Also, since I'm a huge geek, I've been working on categorizing all winter Olympics events by various criteria, such as surface (snow or ice), gradient (flat or downhill), equipment (ski, skate or sled) and a few others. Based on my pivot tables, we are sorely missing a downhill skate-based event (crashed ice?) and a flat-surface sled event (dog-sledding or ice-sailing). We are also missing a snow-based team sport, and although there are some fun made up ones (capture-the-flag, snowball fight, etc...) nothing that's an established sport really exists in the latter category.

When the Olympics are done we'll also see which country was the most rounded and which just racked 'em up in a single discipline (looking at you, Netherlands!).

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Also, since I'm a huge geek, I've been working on categorizing all winter Olympics events by various criteria, such as surface (snow or ice), gradient (flat or downhill), equipment (ski, skate or sled) and a few others. Based on my pivot tables, we are sorely missing a downhill skate-based event (crashed ice?) and a flat-surface sled event (dog-sledding or ice-sailing). We are also missing a snow-based team sport, and although there are some fun made up ones (capture-the-flag, snowball fight, etc...) nothing that's an established sport really exists in the latter category.

The "Biathalon Pursuit" could be very easily (and entertainingly) modified.
Still a cross-country ski race, still have guns.....

/fine, you can sub in paintball guns if you must

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Biathalon Pursuit" could be very easily (and entertainingly) modified.
Still a cross-country ski race, still have guns.....

/fine, you can sub in paintball guns if you must

Cross country skiing paintball would be amazing.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not consider the winter games legit until they allow Crashed Ice into them....

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any canadians on here this late? basic curling rules please? everyone on the team shoot the stones? how many ends?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any canadians on here this late? basic curling rules please? everyone on the team shoot the stones? how many ends?

Ten ends, and as far as I know, yes, everyone curls.

Strategy to rival chess and baseball.

I have no idea what's going on, but usually you can tell a good shot when you see one. Or a bad one.