• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Other Olympics Thread

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHOTOS: Sweden?s wardrobe malfunction in the middle of Olympic slopestyle competition | 2014 Winter Games

APTOPIX_SOCHI_OLYMPICS_FREESTYLE_SKIING_MEN_214353164-930x600.jpg

JASON SEHORN? IS THAT YOU?

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Patrick Chan is pretty much a lock for at least a silver medal provided he doesn't melt down like in Vancouver.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see his skate, how did our boy look?

Perfect until a bobble on a triple axel in the end. No fall, just a minor step out. He has an 11.5 point lead on 3rd place and only 3.5 back of Hanyu...It is pretty much him and Chan for the gold and a clusterfuck of skaters fighting for bronze.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones beats Ott to start 5-0. Beating some pretty tough competition so far

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones beats Ott to start 5-0. Beating some pretty tough competition so far

Jennifer has come up with some clutch shots when required - I just hope she hasn't used them all up at this point. Some really nice tap backs and draws to get herself out of trouble.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanyu just blew the roof off the men's competition. world record score of 101.5. Chan will crumble after that, just watch

For the love of God, save the negativity for after our athletes choke. Your pessimism is unbearable.

Frankly I'm impressed Chan stayed that close. I know he's the current champ but I think that goes out the window when the other guy holds the world records. Silver would be an incredible result. Still hoping for gold obviously.

Feel really bad for luge team. Did they come 4th and/or 5th in every event? You never know, that could be four medals when the doing tests end...

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Day 6 done. No medals for Canada for the first time in the Olympics, though we only really had an outside shot at a couple. Men's 5000m relay team was the biggest let down of the day. Charles Hamelin was hoping for 4 medals at these games, and to be screwed out of it by your own brother....

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
more importantly, Jones also currently sits second in Sky Italias "Miss Curling" standings

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of God, save the negativity for after our athletes choke. Your pessimism is unbearable.

Frankly I'm impressed Chan stayed that close. I know he's the current champ but I think that goes out the window when the other guy holds the world records. Silver would be an incredible result. Still hoping for gold obviously.

Feel really bad for luge team. Did they come 4th and/or 5th in every event? You never know, that could be four medals when the doing tests end...

Only luge event they didn't was men's. Edney was 12th I think.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, nice to see these games are going well so far despite all the fear coming into them. Minus the warm weather, it looks like a very successful start

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't Shani Davis, Shaun White and Julia Mancuso know how much effort NBC put into graphics and bios on them?

They are just RUDE.

Meanwhile what's with people no one ever heard of (or filmed bios for) winning?

/sarcasm

I love the Olympics. More than anything else in sports, I love how there is always a story you never saw coming. No matter how much you want to predict, you just can't. I love that. Sometimes there's more than just practice and raw talent involved.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After some analysis, Canada's quick start is masking an overall disappointment, medal wise. Infostrada and Sports illustrated predicted 33/31 medals, which would have put us right in the running overall. Unfortunately we're already 7/5 medals back. We've missed out on alpine skiing (2), x-country, luge (2), short-track (2), snowboard (2) and long-track. The only unexpected medal has been Denny.

Going to need our contenders to pull through, plus a few surprises to contend top 3. Medals aren't everything but it would be nice to prove Vancouver wasn't a fluke performance.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the Olympics. More than anything else in sports, I love how there is always a story you never saw coming. No matter how much you want to predict, you just can't. I love that. Sometimes there's more than just practice and raw talent involved.

It's what made the Gil Junio stepping aside for Denny Morrison to go out and win a silver medal such a great story. I mean, who knows what the future holds for any of us, but he gave his spot to a teammate and I have to think that gesture inspired Morrison to go out and have the race of his life.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted I've watched about 2 hours of live coverage and most of what I get is the shitty NBC primetime pupu platter, but why do these announcers always make it seem like an upset when a gold medalist from Vancouver doesn't medal in Sochi? 4 years is a lot of time between events - it especially pissed me off in the women's downhill when they said Lindsay Vonn was a favorite before she pulled out of these games. I know they have to dumb down the coverage for the uneducated masses, but it has gotten beyond homerific - as a viewer, I feel insulted. I see what bluewolf was saying about the US based media. I'd watch the games on Univision, but unfortunately they aren't covering them.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Plushenko could have stepped aside as late as last night and let the true Russian national champion compete today ... the anti-GilmoreJunio

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Plushenko could have stepped aside as late as last night and let the true Russian national champion compete today ... the anti-GilmoreJunio

Apparently he was going to give it the college try but feel twice during warmups and reinjured his back. Not implausible.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After some analysis, Canada's quick start is masking an overall disappointment, medal wise. Infostrada and Sports illustrated predicted 33/31 medals, which would have put us right in the running overall. Unfortunately we're already 7/5 medals back. We've missed out on alpine skiing (2), x-country, luge (2), short-track (2), snowboard (2) and long-track. The only unexpected medal has been Denny.

Going to need our contenders to pull through, plus a few surprises to contend top 3. Medals aren't everything but it would be nice to prove Vancouver wasn't a fluke performance.

Maybe it's just the patriotic juices flowing overtime, but Canada has made some great strides in Winter Olympic events since the Calgary Games in '88. If you remember, not even a single gold medal was won by Canada at those Games, but hosting the Olympics meant building world class facilities and that set the foundation for the success in Vancouver in 2010. As you said, Dacks, the medal count isn't everything and when you're dealing with hundreths of a second differences in some cases, there's not much separating a medal for a non-medal performance.

Edit: I will also add that the recent additions of ski and snowboard cross/slopestyle events have helped out Canada's medal haul as we have athletes strong in those disciplines. We ended up with 26 medals in Vancouver right (14 of them gold), if we get within five of that total considering the near misses to date, people should be happy.

Last edited by a moderator: