• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that after scaling Cassell, he backflipped off of the roof and made a perfect landing. Also, while spinning through the air he kicked off his shoes and caught a bird with his bare feet. You can't make this stuff up!

I heard that too. Craig James ran a special on it one night.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Bud Foster quote is from last year, and it was recycled by Dimwit. Foster has not commented on the new opening. He is also not on the list that was given to the Pitt search committee. He should be, but he isn't.

757, haven't we discussed reading Heather Dinich?

I am not sure Bud would leave for a job where he faced Beamer every single season.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Bud Foster quote is from last year, and it was recycled by Dimwit. Foster has not commented on the new opening. He is also not on the list that was given to the Pitt search committee. He should be, but he isn't.

757, haven't we discussed reading Heather Dinich?

I am not sure Bud would leave for a job where he faced Beamer every single season.

doh! my bad.

wondered why he would want to be in the same conference as Beamer if he were to leave

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the list, as beautifully compiled by Andy Bitter (who is doing an excellent job in taking over for Kyle Tucker IMO) from reputable Pittsburgh news sources.

Paul Rhoads, Iowa State head coach
Teryl Austin, Baltimore Ravens secondary coach
Sal Sunsieri, Alabama defensive assistant
Tom Bradley, Penn State interim head coach
Tony Gibson, Arizona defensive backs coach
Greg Gattuso, Maryland defensive line coach
Mario Cristobal, Florida International head coach
Keith Patterson, Pittsburgh interim head coach
Paul Chryst, Wisconsin offensive coordinator
Curt Cignetti, Indiana (Pa.) head coach
Greg Roman, San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator
Mark Stoopps, Florida State defensive coordinator
Ron Zook, former Illinois and Florida head coach

For what it's worth, the people I talk to up here think that Rhoads and Austin leave though public sentiment want Bradley or Sunseri.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consider the source, but I saw on TSL that Demitri Knowles has said that Wilson will be running track in the spring....

Ahhh hoping that it's true! I know that DW is good enough to leave, but if he stays another year, that leaves us with the perfect transition to JC and company.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for the board... Do you guys think IF DW did come back, that he could improve his draft stock?

Personally, I think if he leaves he will be drafted early 2nd round and be either the #2 or #3 running back taken. While we criticize his vision, his value is going to be seen in the combine. I'm not sure what the RB pool is next year, but I don't think his value could go up very much since so much value is in that speed. While I would like him to stay, I think it's in his best interest to leave. Only reasons for him to stay in my mind are to get his degree (will he graduate if he leaves early?) and be a possible heisman candidate. And possibly lead this team to another great season.

Thoughts?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he stays he will likely be considered the best RB in the country next year. That will make his draft stock higher by default in the 2013 draft. IMO at least

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowles said this on beamer ball, I dont have an account so I cant confirm...

Yup it's on beamerball in an interview with Knowles. To summarize, he was asked if he could win a foot race against DW. He ended up saying they would find out in the Spring because they'll both be on the track team.

Take that for what it's worth.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Someone else from the track team was quoted as saying that David Wilson had told them he would be around this year. Im not sure where its @ but i posted that here a couple weeks back.

FWIW though its not outta the norm for guys to say stuff like that and then have a change of heart after getting their draft grade etc etc. Hope im wrong but IMO he is gone.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Virginia Tech junior running back David Wilson is on the verge of realizing a lifelong dream of playing in the NFL. But he has to decide whether he wants to go pro this year or wait until after his senior season.

His father said he thinks he should choose the NFL now.

“I think he should go, personally, but I haven’t told him that yet,” Dwight Wilson said in a phone interview Friday.

Virginia Tech Effect - Blog

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I read that Richardson is staying for his senior year, so Wilson wouldn't be the 1st running back selected next year either. If that remains true, there really isn't that much incentive to stay based on draft projections. I do think that staying another year might make him have a better career in the NFL though; if he gets better at pass blocking (his greatest weakness in my opinion), and bulks up a bit and improves his vision, then he could be a more every-down type back. If we didn't even want him on the field for pass blocking, it is hard to imagine an NFL team keeping him on the field as much as he would want.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I read that Richardson is staying for his senior year, so Wilson wouldn't be the 1st running back selected next year either. If that remains true, there really isn't that much incentive to stay based on draft projections. I do think that staying another year might make him have a better career in the NFL though; if he gets better at pass blocking (his greatest weakness in my opinion), and bulks up a bit and improves his vision, then he could be a more every-down type back. If we didn't even want him on the field for pass blocking, it is hard to imagine an NFL team keeping him on the field as much as he would want.

Not sure where you read that m477. Richardson will be a top 15 pick (maybe top 5-10). I will pull the bullshit card on whoever wrote that he will be back next year. 75% DW will leave at this point IMO. He could improve his stock if he came back next year (and very possibly be the #1 RB) but with the new CBA in the NFL, it may not make a 20 million dollar guaranteed difference as it has in the past. With the risk of major injury and his stock dropping like a bomb, I say in the NFL THESE days, the risk might outweigh the reward...

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not sure where you read that m477. Richardson will be a top 15 pick (maybe top 5-10). I will pull the bullshit card on whoever wrote that he will be back next year. 75% DW will leave at this point IMO. He could improve his stock if he came back next year (and very possibly be the #1 RB) but with the new CBA in the NFL, it may not make a 20 million dollar guaranteed difference as it has in the past. With the risk of major injury and his stock dropping like a bomb, I say in the NFL THESE days, the risk might outweigh the reward...

In bold: There is little doubt that DW will blow up the combine and he surely has put up the yards that would give any RB a 1-2nd round grade, but i honestly believe that 1) fumbles & 2) lack of TD's will push him into the 3rd round. I dont mean that to discredit Wilson's season or ability, i just see that as the reality of the NFL draft. If he comes back next year and holds onto the football a little better and punches a few more in, i feel like he'd be a first rounder, heisman front runner, and more next year.

FWIW though i am about like sparks says- 75% sure he goes.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
from the andy bitter blog

"■Running back David Wilson and cornerback Jayron Hosley will make their NFL decisions soon. Sounds like both of them will probably go to the next level this year. Beamer said he’s learned a lesson about getting guys on the field early over the years. “The real lesson is if they’re talented, you better play them early,” he said."

sounds like beamer thinks both hosley and wilson are gone, IMO.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“The real lesson is if they’re talented, you better play them early,” he said."

I'm glad it took 25 years for Beamer to figure that out. :p