• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was in downtown DC, 12 th floor. Can't confirm anything about the monument, but getting out of the city was like 911 all over again. They evacuated all of the buildings around us and pretty much ended work at 3pm.

We felt it pretty strong, about 30 seconds long. Not enough to knock you off your feet, but one of the large windows in a corner office cracked in half and stuff fell everywhere. It started with a really loud POP and everypne assumed it was a bomb or something else. Too strange to think it was an earthquake. Cell phones were useless almost immediately. Traffic jammed up in every direction. MEtro and VRe trains crawled home as they inspected the tracks as they went along.

Just proves again to me that if there is ever a life threatening event in DC... I'm fucked. We cant evac worth shit.

I used to work in downtown DC (Connecticut Avenue) many years ago and we learned very quickly that ANY accident on the Beltway was going to cause gridlock. But any snowstorm of more than a few inches starting around noon created MONUMENTAL clusterf__ks of epic proportions!! Got caught in one of those back in the 1980s and it took me seven hours to drive back to my house in Alexandria just outside the Beltway. Can't imagine trying to get out of that city for a real emergency...just start grabbing your ankles and kiss your butt goodbye!

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But any snowstorm of more than a few inches starting around noon created MONUMENTAL clusterf__ks of epic proportions!! Got caught in one of those back in the 1980s and it took me seven hours to drive back to my house in Alexandria just outside the Beltway.

There was a snow storm this year that hit hard right around 3 in the afternoon and just dumped on the city. It took me over 4 hours to get from Reston back into Arlington (about 12 miles). That's not even close to the 12+ hours it took some of my coworkers to get home

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I work in Alexandria and the trip home yesterday wasn't terrible, but 495 and 95 were starting to pile up. I left around 2:30 after we were dismissed/evacuated. Luckily no damage, but it was definitely different to feel a building shake like that.

Back when that snowstorm hit this year, I left early that day as well and just made it home. I almost didn't make it after fishtailing at an intersection and getting stuck on a hill on my road. But its better than a friend of mine who didn't get home until 2am after 10+ hours on the road from Dulles to Centreville.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC radio is reporting some ofthe spires on the Nat. Cathedral are messed up. I still have bot found anything on the Culpeper Target thing.

i read somewhere that the ceiling caved in, rather than it collapsing...been sseeing a lot of pictures of the damage today, i didnt realize it was as strong as it was i guess

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in downtown DC, 12 th floor. Can't confirm anything about the monument, but getting out of the city was like 911 all over again. They evacuated all of the buildings around us and pretty much ended work at 3pm.

We felt it pretty strong, about 30 seconds long. Not enough to knock you off your feet, but one of the large windows in a corner office cracked in half and stuff fell everywhere. It started with a really loud POP and everypne assumed it was a bomb or something else. Too strange to think it was an earthquake. Cell phones were useless almost immediately. Traffic jammed up in every direction. MEtro and VRe trains crawled home as they inspected the tracks as they went along.

Just proves again to me that if there is ever a life threatening event in DC... I'm fucked. We cant evac worth shit.

sounds like if you need to get out of DC in a hurry, you're better off on a bike, or on foot!

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just played connect the dots with news articles, I had no idea that Marcus Davis was cousins with Eli Harold. I think MD is also cousins with Tony Gregory, talk about a talented family!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just played connect the dots with news articles, I had no idea that Marcus Davis was cousins with Eli Harold. I think MD is also cousins with Tony Gregory, talk about a talented family!

cant remember all the names but i think MD is cousins with about half the 757.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A little off topic (of an off topic thread let that blow your mind) but today should be the day we hear which Miami players are suspended

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Please no Jacory :pray:
jacory-for-heisman.jpg

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jayron Hosley's draft position hinges on a healthy and playing Jacory Harris
Did you see the garbage from the UVA fans talking about how Chase Minnifield is as good as Hosley??? Hosley is projected to be the top corner in the country. Sometimes I want to be friends with some UVA people to smoke what they are smoking, they obviously get the good stuff...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the garbage from the UVA fans talking about how Chase Minnifield is as good as Hosley??? Hosley is projected to be the top corner in the country. Sometimes I want to be friends with some UVA people to smoke what they are smoking, they obviously get the good stuff...

I had friends there. The shit they smoke is garbage. I brought my own. It ended up being laced with angel dust. That was a rough evening....

:L

I was politely asked to quit trying to fight everyone I met (which Hokie200Proof can attest to kind of being my personality back then)

...but I see your point :D

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...

I just know if Nike changes burnt Orange to highlighter orange, a good portion of Hokie nation would lose their shit. I also find it interesting that everyone seems to be going to matte colors on the helmet. Our Tron unis were like that... so were MD's new UA unis... it was all glossy a couple years ago.

They're ok... not a huge fan of the numbers myself. I liked our "Blacksburg" font where the numbers have the same angles and edges as the square-root-of-1 primary VT logo. I didn't mind our Maroon and orange sleeves jerseys.

I like our throwbacks... every now and again. Not a big fan of having them all season long.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those Oregon unis are awesome. I am mad everyone is going to the matte helmets as well now too. The Army Camo unis are still the best