• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Any of you guys MD's or know anything about orthopedics? If so ol' hunzworth needs some advice. I seem to have screwed up my shoulder and am wondering if i should see the Doc or if i will heal over time.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys MD's or know anything about orthopedics? If so ol' hunzworth needs some advice. I seem to have screwed up my shoulder and am wondering if i should see the Doc or if i will heal over time.

What kind of symptoms are you having? I tore my rotator cuff a few months ago, so I might be able to help you out. Do you remember what you were doing when it first started to hurt?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What kind of symptoms are you having? I tore my rotator cuff a few months ago, so I might be able to help you out. Do you remember what you were doing when it first started to hurt?

Ok here is the whole story. 5-6 years ago i was throwing a football and got hit from the blindside-right as i went to throw the ball- my arm got ripped backwards. It dropped me instantly and my shoulder was sore as hell for about a week. It didnt really bother me after that unless i threw football without warming up or if i did anything that required climbing or a pulling motion, it was aggravating but i could live with it then. Well last friday I was trimming the hedges at my office and my grandparents house (a lot of hedges) and my shoulder got kinda sore. That night we were going out to dinner and as i buttoned my pants i felt a rip and pop in my shoulder.(big time pain, i broke both arms one time and basically laughed my way to the hospital this almost brought tears to my eyes) For a couple days i couldnt lift my arm past even with my shoulder. After about 2 days it started popping a little and every time it did it seemed to feel a little better until there was almost no pain. Now there is some constant pain (not bad) around where the shoulder and collar bone meet and on top of my shoulder. The thing that worries me is that it pops and creaks all the time now and doesnt seem as strong as it used to be <---although the strength is coming back. I also get a burning sensation at some times.

sorry for rambling but thats the best i can explain it.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok here is the whole story. 5-6 years ago i was throwing a football and got hit from the blindside-right as i went to throw the ball- my arm got ripped backwards. It dropped me instantly and my shoulder was sore as hell for about a week. It didnt really bother me after that unless i threw football without warming up or if i did anything that required climbing or a pulling motion, it was aggravating but i could live with it then. Well last friday I was trimming the hedges at my office and my grandparents house (a lot of hedges) and my shoulder got kinda sore. That night we were going out to dinner and as i buttoned my pants i felt a rip and pop in my shoulder.(big time pain, i broke both arms one time and basically laughed my way to the hospital this almost brought tears to my eyes) For a couple days i couldnt lift my arm past even with my shoulder. After about 2 days it started popping a little and every time it did it seemed to feel a little better until there was almost no pain. Now there is some constant pain (not bad) around where the shoulder and collar bone meet and on top of my shoulder. The thing that worries me is that it pops and creaks all the time now and doesnt seem as strong as it used to be <---although the strength is coming back. I also get a burning sensation at some times.

You need to have some medical imaging done. Most likely MRI's for soft tissue/joint damage. Nobody here nor a Dr. will be able to enlighten you without seeing some interior pictures of the affected area. It could get better with rest, or it could get worse with no joint movement at all.... just depends on what has been injured. That is why you need to have some medical imaging done. This is coming from someone in college at the present time that will be doing medical imaging in the near future hopefully.:thumb: If it was a short term problem that wasn't that bothersome, I would say to wait it out to see if it healed... but since it has been an ongoing off and on problem over a long period of time, I would guess you have some slight ligament damage that never got an adequate amount of time to heal (ligaments and tendons take longer to heal because of lower blood circulations to these areas). If you have some good insurance, go get some pictures of the said shoulder and let a radiologist determine how good of a shape your A/C joint and the surrounding ligaments are in. If not, do everything in your power not to over extend the joint for a long period of time (probably 6 - 12 months). Camfantasy is about 3/4s of the way to drunk town right now though, so hold off and I'll refute or agree with my points tomorrow lol

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds a lot like what I'm going through. I tore my rotator cuff (or think that's when I tore it) trying to start a push mower. My shoulder now pops and cracks non-stop it seems. Any repetitive motion that requires a back and forth motion of my shoulder such as throwing a ball, swinging a bat or starting a mower really makes my shoulder ache. I can't even lay on my side now without it aching. It really affected my hand-writing. Now it's really 'jerky'. Like Cam said, best thing to do is go have a MRI done. XRay won't really help, so don't let them try to do that first, because it will just be a waste of money.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, sounds like everyone on this board has had a rotator cuff injury! I tore mine years ago weight lifting....either shoulder presses or lateral raises did me in. I elected to not have surgery, but I was never able to get it rehabed and healed fully. Still burns when I lift anything above my shoulder and also when sleeping on my side or with my arm raise above my head.

I know others who have had surgery and are doing well now, but they have lost some range of motion. The recovery period after surgery was longer than expected. You can either learn to deal with the pain or have surgery.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, sounds like everyone on this board has had a rotator cuff injury! I tore mine years ago weight lifting....either shoulder presses or lateral raises did me in. I elected to not have surgery, but I was never able to get it rehabed and healed fully. Still burns when I lift anything above my shoulder and also when sleeping on my side or with my arm raise above my head.

I know others who have had surgery and are doing well now, but they have lost some range of motion. The recovery period after surgery was longer than expected. You can either learn to deal with the pain or have surgery.
Torn labrum and damaged rotator cuff here a few years ago. Opted for pt instead of surgery...bad mistake

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had a bad shoulder for a long time (slight rotator cuff or cartilage I believe) and will probably have to get mine checked out too eventually. I creaks and pops too. Sometimes it is worse than other times. I've had ACL reconstruction on both knees to boot. All old football injuries. Any kind of cartilage, ligament, or tendon tears are really painful/aggravating and won't typically go away without surgery. If it is a significant tear, and structurally inhibits your strength or range of motion., do yourself a favor..get it taken care of.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother tore his rotator cuff about 3 years ago playing baseball. Decided on surgery, and it took a full 2 years for him to get back to where he was- but he did. Hearing a few of these stories about not getting back to full strength would have me recommend surgery (if it is some kind of tear)

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really dont want to have to go the surgery route and i really dont have time for PT. Most of the time i would just let something like this go as I've been really lucky to have some pretty serious injuries "heal themselves" but this just doesnt seem like it will get better without something done to it. The thing that worry me is that i've let myself get big time overweight the past couple years and i know that is going to slow down the healing process. Something else, although my job requires no physical labor I really enjoy working on the farm, doing some construction from time to time, logging, etc etc etc and I worry that 1) I wont be able to deal with the down time of surgery 2) I wont do the proper type of rehab or try to do too much too early. or 3) Not do the surgery and end up screwing it up even worse somewhere down the line.

I think ive convinced myself to see the Doc in the near future. Thanks SportsHoopla!

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witnessed Strasburg's first major league homer today. It's not enough that the fucker is dominant on the mound, now he's taking opposing pitchers out of the park?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anybody know what type of elbow injury can linger for over a year? I've had pain that comes and goes in my elbow since last spring. Never had any swelling or redness and I can't remember if there was a pop but it's still bothering me

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know what type of elbow injury can linger for over a year? I've had pain that comes and goes in my elbow since last spring. Never had any swelling or redness and I can't remember if there was a pop but it's still bothering me

Tendinitis? I used to get that often when I pitched and never noticed any redness/swelling, but could be anything from a sharp pain to a dull ache.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha this thread is turning into the VT aches and pains forum. Makes me kind of nervous that the injury bug is going to bite me.