• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners Spring Training Thread 2018

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember is that he traded high for the money then sold it for pennies on the dollar after the Ohtani crud. Not sure why he didn't just keep it and go after this Cuban outfielder but he didn't.

Or any other international player, he does realize there was more than 1 international guy right?

I've already admitted my bias against Jerry but not sure why baseball people around the country are not crushing him for the current situation. Somehow Jerry trading away every decent prospect they had and being left with Ichiro is Jack Z's fault.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.[/QUOTE]

The good news is Dipoto has millions of dollars in international bonus pool money sitting around that he has to spend by June,
The Mariners did everything they could to sign Shohei Ohtani, and fell short

So after all the trades to get international money for ohtani and missing than he had to trade a chuck away or else it would disappear. So we got screwed twice. The Mariner Way

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or any other international player, he does realize there was more than 1 international guy right?

I've already admitted my bias against Jerry but not sure why baseball people around the country are not crushing him for the current situation. Somehow Jerry trading away every decent prospect they had and being left with Ichiro is Jack Z's fault.

missed up was suppose to be in the post above.... :L:L:L

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We thought M's had bad luck:

This is the second top Rays prospect this spring lost to the same surgery (Honeywell the other)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember DIPoto talking about what a great addition Armstrong was. He could clear waivers, but that would just show what little value he has in the league. Didn't we see this move a lot last year?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember DIPoto talking about what a great addition Armstrong was. He could clear waivers, but that would just show what little value he has in the league. Didn't we see this move a lot last year?

Dec 13th, 2017
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto made his first trades of the Winter Meetings on Wednesday, reacquiring lefty Anthony Misiewicz from the Rays and then dealing for hard-throwing Indians reliever Shawn Armstrong in exchange for international bonus pool money.

According to sources, the Mariners sent $500,000 in international pool money to the Indians for Armstrong and $1 million to the Rays, which puts their remaining total at just over $2 million.

Hot Stove Tracker

Misiewicz has never pitched above Double-A ball, but Armstrong has posted a 3.53 ERA in 39 Major League games over the past three seasons and could compete for a bullpen spot this year.

Armstrong goes on the Mariners' 40-man roster, which now sits at 38. The 27-year-old right-hander is under team control for five more seasons, but he is out of Minor League options.

"And we acquired Shawn Armstrong, who gives us that same level of protection as -- if not a bit more polish than -- Thyago Vieira. You're not going to strike out many more guys than Shawn Armstrong strikes out at the high levels in the Minor Leagues."

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We thought M's had bad luck:

This is the second top Rays prospect this spring lost to the same surgery (Honeywell the other)

At least the Rays have top prospects.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for the 2001 Ichiro MVP train car this year!!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Macro Gonzales has pitched really well so far this spring. As of this post, he has logged 9 IP and zero earned runs in 3 appearances.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I am out on an island on the issue. I don't feel it is 100% PR. He is signing at a backup OF. The rest of the FA are either too expensive or won't take the role Ichiro would. I'm just not upset like a ton of people are over a guy who is a backup outfielder.
Of course it isn't 100% PR. If it were, they would have done this a long time ago and not on the heels of all the OF injuries so far in ST. People can argue some other player would have been a better move, but you can always do that with any signing. Ichiro is a relatively cheap Band-Aid that comes with a possible marketing bonus. I don't see the big deal, honestly. I think most of the fans killing the organization for this are just pre-disposed to kill them about pretty much everything.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was sweating this one out...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here we go again...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I am out on an island on the issue. I don't feel it is 100% PR. He is signing at a backup OF. The rest of the FA are either too expensive or won't take the role Ichiro would. I'm just not upset like a ton of people are over a guy who is a backup outfielder.

At this point in Ichiro's career, he's among the worst players in baseball. He can't hit anymore, doesn't really steal bases anymore, and is average at best defensively since much of his range is gone. It's going to be a lot of wasted at bats when there are more productive players out there who could've been a backup, or that spot could've been given to a younger guy trying to claw his way onto a major league roster.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in Ichiro's career, he's among the worst players in baseball. He can't hit anymore, doesn't really steal bases anymore, and is average at best defensively since much of his range is gone. It's going to be a lot of wasted at bats when there are more productive players out there who could've been a backup, or that spot could've been given to a younger guy trying to claw his way onto a major league roster.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is where I am on an island. The Mariners don't have any young guys except really Bishop and you don't call a guy like him up to sit on the bench. I don't believe a single one of the better options in FA would sign with the Mariners for peanuts while knowing they will get released in May. Ichiro is in no way the ideal player but shows how shitty of a GM Jerry Dipoto is by putting the team in this situation.