• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Bears GM/Coaching Search Thread

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought we could have one spot for all the info that's flowing around...

Here's what I'm see so far

GM interest: DeCosta, Chris Ballard,
Coach:
Adam Gase to interview Friday or Saturday
Dan Quinn Interview on Friday

Gary Kubiak

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interviews before having a GM isn't ideal, for Quinn and Gase, but these guy are only available this week and I'm thinking it'll be more of a vetting meeting of sorts. If they really like one of them then they can wait until they are out of the the playoffs, before a more involved interview- BUT if they feel that they just aren't ready or not the guy... they can move quickly on someone who is free to sign.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not interested in anyone who is willing to leave playoff preparation to interview for a new job. Probably the only guy that feels this way again, but if they arent 100% trying to figure out every angle to beating their competition, I cant see them being 100% behind their team.

Yes, I know, they dont know who they are going to be playing, this is true, but you will also see how a team adjusts their scheme in different circumstances. You might see what a team stopped doing wild card weekend that changed their fate.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears speaking with Doug Marrone... What do you think?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that was stupid.

I am not interested in anyone who is willing to leave playoff preparation to interview for a new job. Probably the only guy that feels this way again, but if they arent 100% trying to figure out every angle to beating their competition, I cant see them being 100% behind their team.

Yes, I know, they dont know who they are going to be playing, this is true, but you will also see how a team adjusts their scheme in different circumstances. You might see what a team stopped doing wild card weekend that changed their fate.

If you were a coach trying to move up you would interview whenever the chance came about.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Leo's back!! Welcome back where you been?
It's going to be exciting times over the next week or two. Hopefully sooner then later.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fear, they hire a guy to help them pick and he takes a month to line up names... Mean while every other NFL team looking for a GM or a Coach signs up all the good ones.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bears are traveling to interview those guys. They'll obviously conduct the interview in what would be the coaches free time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears speaking with Doug Marrone... What do you think?

I do like Marrone. But I would prefer one of the assistants coming up. It's time for this organization to do their job, and work their tail off in order to find the next great NFL head coach from this class of coordinators.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeCosta- takes his name out of Bears GM consideration.
Now they have these: Chris Ballard Chiefs, Lake Dawson Titans, Brian Gaine Texans Pro-personal, Ryne Pace Saints.

It's just the Bears and Jets looking for GM's? Right?
They are interviewing:
Trent Kirchner Seahawks pro personnel
Bill Kuharich- Browns exc.
Rick Mueller- Eagles pro personnel
Mike Maccagnan Texans College Scouting Director (same team different guys?)

I'm questioning why either of these teams DON'T have the same names???

Gotta ask- who would the head coaching candidates be? Just trying to read the tea leaves.
Kirchner/Dan Quinn or Bevell- Tom Cable is also on that staff
Chris Ballard (12 years with the Bears) Dave Taub?

It's going to be interesting. I really don't have a horse in this race... no idea if any of these guys are better then the next. I just worry that they hire some odd guy (Emery) that nobody else wanted and questioned how he got the job. That's why I would be a little more comfortable if they were all looking at the same names.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like Marrone. But I would prefer one of the assistants coming up. It's time for this organization to do their job, and work their tail off in order to find the next great NFL head coach from this class of coordinators.

Heck yes.

I don’t care how they get it done as longs as they do it right this time. Listen to Accorsi, invest the money in a quality guy who will be set to get the job done, and give the GM what he needs to do it.

And please, for the love of God, keep Josh McDaniels away from Halas Hall. He is the prototypical Belichick assistant: he seems to work wonders within the organization, and flounders when The Hoodie is no longer around.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeCosta- takes his name out of Bears GM consideration.
Now they have these: Chris Ballard Chiefs, Lake Dawson Titans, Brian Gaine Texans Pro-personal, Ryne Pace Saints.

It's just the Bears and Jets looking for GM's? Right?
They are interviewing:
Trent Kirchner Seahawks pro personnel
Bill Kuharich- Browns exc.
Rick Mueller- Eagles pro personnel
Mike Maccagnan Texans College Scouting Director (same team different guys?)

I'm questioning why either of these teams DON'T have the same names???

Gotta ask- who would the head coaching candidates be? Just trying to read the tea leaves.
Kirchner/Dan Quinn or Bevell- Tom Cable is also on that staff
Chris Ballard (12 years with the Bears) Dave Taub?

It's going to be interesting. I really don't have a horse in this race... no idea if any of these guys are better then the next. I just worry that they hire some odd guy (Emery) that nobody else wanted and questioned how he got the job. That's why I would be a little more comfortable if they were all looking at the same names.

Marc Ross is director of player evaluation with the Giants. I liked what I read about him a couple of years ago when Angelo was being replaced. I’ve recently read his name as a possible candidate this time around, but only as speculation from within the media.

Giants' Marc Ross on radar again as possible general manager candidate after Odell Beckham selection | NJ.com

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Gase to interview Friday or Saturday
Dan Quinn Interview on Friday
Gary Kubiak

Not sure I like Gase as a candidate. Sure the broncos O is good, but how much of their success is because of Manning?

I firmly believe the Bears are making a mistake if they don't hire someone without head coaching experience. I'm pulling for Kubiak.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree AJoe... We saw how much the locker room deteriorated with an inexperienced coaching staff with an odd message of "everyone's a capt." and seemingly little to no control over players (vets for sure)

I don't see this remaining group of players really causing much trouble because Tresty and company aren't here anymore- like the Lovie group did earlier.

I like the idea of Kubiak or Shannahan. We know what they are... No idea what Gase is going to be.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I'm not against Gase at all. I think he's done a good job with the offense in Denver beyond Manning. See how well Denver has done this year even these last few games when Manning has taken more of a back seat. That's a sign of an adaptive game planner. Not saying he is the guy or not, but I'm not inherently opposed to him.

I am a little more against the idea of Shanahan. Shanahan really hasn't been successful in a long time. It's true that's not entirely his fault, sure, but I'd rather see a chance taken on a young guy than a guy who has such a mediocre track record (of late).

This being said, I am way more interested in who the GM hire is at this point, since it is probably a longer term hire for the Bears, and ideally should be hired first, and that's who is going to be bringing in the talent. I really hope they can somehow bring in a GM before they hire a head coach.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with Shanahan or Kubiak as HC.

DeCosta is a dream, of course, but then there's no way of knowing how he'd do without Ozzie Newsome by his side. Same can be said for any of the candidates, really.

No idea how Lake Dawson merits much consideration, really, considering the mess the Titans are in. That said, his current title is VP of Player Personnel, so you have to think being "just" a GM would be a step down, actually.

Have to wonder whether Marc Ross has been interviewed so many times just to comply with the Rooney rule. He's been well-regarded and had numerous interviews over the past three years, yet hasn't been promoted. Some of that might have to do with his age (he's 41); some of it could have to do with Eric DeCosta syndrome. He's an East Coast guy — grew up near Philadelphia, college at Princeton, masters at UMass, interned with Giants before joining the Eagles full-time in 1997 —so maybe he'd be happier with the Bills or Jets, I dunno.

Chris Ballard seems like a Bears choice: safe, familiar with him already so they know what they're getting, etc. You know, just like Phil Emery. Ballard's resume is kind of similar to Emery's, in fact; coached at Texas A&M-Kingville from 1994-2000, then spent 11 seasons (2001-11) as the Bears' southwest area scout and one (2012) as the team's Director of Pro Scouting before becoming the Chiefs' Director of Player Personnel in 2013.

Ballard might turn out to be exceptional, so painting him as an Emery clone isn't really fair. Ballard's ten years younger, first of all, which might matter when dealing with players. He's also been one step up the food chain from Emery's highest spot before becoming the Bears' GM. So there are some differences. But there's also some (potentially troubling) similarities.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan just as coach. I read on a sports line ticker that Brian Kelly was given more control of player acquisitions. Very few are able to walk both lines, it was Shannahans downfall in Washington. Pick to be GM or head coach and I think he would be exceptional in either.

Bottom line, Bears need to pay Trestman 7 million over the next two years if he does not take another nfl job. First time coaches in football are not following the NBA status of 5 million per year. Pretty sure Shannahan will be at the high end, where a promoted coordinator would probably be low end.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI- I agree that Shanny would probably command a higher salary... as a 2x SB winner should- regardless of what he's done lately. And of course more then a guy without any HC experience.
What I like about hiring a 'known" HC is how the LR would function and guys would "know who's boss" type stuff.
I think we would get more "buy-in" with a former HC who's had some success. He wouldn't be afraid to tell players NO.
NO you can't take Monday of the first week of the season off to open your BBQ joint.
NO you can't fly to NY every week to appear on TV.
NO you can't do a press conference to spout about your previous Domestic abuse allegations.
NO YOU can't throw into double coverage.
NO You can't jump off-sides twice in a game.
NO you can't take the ball out 9-yards deep in the endzone on KR.
NO you can't celebrate a meaningless sack when we are down 25 points.

And he could and would have the power to say YES:
Yes we can move the pocket more
Yes We can run the ball more
Yes I will fire the idiot Asst. Coach who went outside the team and complained to media
Yes I will play you in your best position and not move you around every year.
Yes we will play to our teams strengths and not continue to do the same thing that doesn't work.
Yes I will scrap the Bubble Screen!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hate to have to root for Shannahan.

Hated the fucking Donkeys, and his notoriously dirty fucking o-lines. Dude even looks like the devil.

Two words. Terell Fucking Davis.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to La Canfora, Shanahan has “very strong interest” in working with Cutler again and he would reportedly be willing to accept far less than the $7 million salary he was paid by the Redskins.