• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive problems summed up

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To me Newsome is the biggest problem. As long as Beamer is head coach he's going to want a smashmouth, ball control offense. I have no problem with that and in fact that's the kind of offense I prefer. But when you have an O-line coach that can't hold up his end of the deal or is recruiting and coaching for a different offensive style then you've got a mess. Even if you end up with the personnel better suited for a different type of offense then the OC should adjust...but Stinespring can't or won't. The only solution then is to get rid of someone because I think we've all seen what the coaches are capable of. Both Newsome and Stinespring have been at VT a long enough time for that

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've seen fans talk about replacing the O-line "They're new what do you expect" but it's no excuse when they've been in the program 3-4 years already. Then they come back with "Well they haven't seen the field" That's because sadly they haven't been good enough. In Newsome's words "I don't trust them". Lol how much time does that sad sack need with these guys? They can't stay on campus forever

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What we need to do is hire Tony Franklin out of La Tech. Hes friends with Bud Foster because they both played at Murray State before Frank came. Franklins system runs a no huddle shotgun spread and pistol. He also coaches the oline since in his system the center calls the plays. theyre averaging 52 points per game

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen fans talk about replacing the O-line "They're new what do you expect" but it's no excuse when they've been in the program 3-4 years already. Then they come back with "Well they haven't seen the field" That's because sadly they haven't been good enough. In Newsome's words "I don't trust them". Lol how much time does that sad sack need with these guys? They can't stay on campus forever

Yep. Not putting VT in the same breath as other teams in this regard ('Bama, OSU, Wisky) but 3-4yr OL should be steamrolling people. These teams mentioned, almost always play juniors and seniors on the O-Line and get their young guys meaningful reps as freshmen and sophomores (when they are up by 50 on the cupcakes). That is why they reload every year on the OL. It doesn't hurt when they recruit much better than VT there, and can develop their OL a ton better too.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I will agree with that totally .. but why are they able to recruit better at the OL?? Geography obviously plays into it some but so does blocking scheme, coaching, offensive style, coaching .... coaching

And that's also what makes me cringe with the way VT historically plays down to its competition. A team like Alabama this season is sitting most of its starters by the 4th quarter, getting their underclassmen LOTS of meaningful reps....but we are what we are ... and we are NOT alabama-caliber. Been reading plenty lately about how the 2-3 yr shitty recruiting (pre-Shane) is starting to catch up to us ... but as far as the OL -- i will agree. Having senior OL not making "significant" contributions or starting until their junior or senior yr should be the exception -- not typical .. that goes back to development (and recruiting)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Part of the OL recruiting problem is that Virginia doesn't produce enough good ones and Newsome/VT don't have any pull with the elite out of state guys. Newsome has piss poor credentials and VT has a less than stellar NFL success rate with OL. You can't move VT so you have to move the OL coach

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What we need to do is hire Tony Franklin out of La Tech. Hes friends with Bud Foster because they both played at Murray State before Frank came. Franklins system runs a no huddle shotgun spread and pistol. He also coaches the oline since in his system the center calls the plays. theyre averaging 52 points per game

I don't know anything about him but he has to be an improvement. You can pretty much guarantee it's going to be someone the coaches know personally already. They're not going halfway across the country to grab an assistant like Clemson did with their DC. It's a family/friendly/buddy buddy type situation at VT with the staff

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey I've got it guys. I know why the O-line stinks and it's not because Newsome is a bad coach. He just has a 6 year program

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I've got it guys. I know why the O-line stinks and it's not because Newsome is a bad coach. He just has a 6 year program

So David Wang will be really good then?