• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive problems summed up

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But were his mechanics really that good last year or was he just playing so well that we overlooked it? Obviously it would take something extreme for Leal to get a shot, but Logan's accuracy just is not there. There was one play in particular last game where he had someone WIDE OPEN for a third down conversion and he threw it 3 yards over his head. Or even the drop by Dunn. Logan did him no favors by throwing that high and a little behind. I don't expect him to be perfect every time, but at this point his ratio of good throws to bad throws is pretty even, which is not a good thing.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But were his mechanics really that good last year or was he just playing so well that we overlooked it? Obviously it would take something extreme for Leal to get a shot, but Logan's accuracy just is not there. There was one play in particular last game where he had someone WIDE OPEN for a third down conversion and he threw it 3 yards over his head. Or even the drop by Dunn. Logan did him no favors by throwing that high and a little behind. I don't expect him to be perfect every time, but at this point his ratio of good throws to bad throws is pretty even, which is not a good thing.

I think it's pretty obvious. His mechanics have never been good, but if you go back and watch the 2 plays you referenced you will see he's throwing completely off his back foot, with a jump on the 3 yard one.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't want to rag on Logan too much because I know he has a lot of pressure on him, but I think we should really think about Leal at QB. I don't know what got into him last year, but I'm starting to think that the second half of last season was somewhat of a fluke and what we've seen of him this year/the first half of last season is a better reflection of his real talent. His accuracy is just not good enough. Even if you look back to last year, he has always had a sub 50% completion rate. I'd almost liken this situation to BABIP (for baseball guys); if a guy has a ridiculous BABIP, he's getting lucky. Same thing with a QB who has a terrible completion percentage yet still has decent passing numbers.

Like I said, Logan has a huge weight on his shoulders and I'm sure it sucks that the whole country is mocking him for how poorly he has performed versus his projected draft spot. At the same time, though, we will never know if Leal is any good if he just rots away on the bench. And please don't make the "LT must perform better in practice" argument because there is no way in hell the coaches would start Leal early in the season after all the hype Logan got in the offseason.

Explain this please. As written, it's a blatant falsehood.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pssshhh...you just wish that would happen so UVA would have a chance against us :D

It would take more than that for UVa to have a chance against with the way we are playing right now.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain this please. As written, it's a blatant falsehood.

My apologies. He has a 57% completion rate for his career. It's not below 50, but it's still not very good. And he is at 52% with 8 TDs and 6 picks this year.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My apologies. He has a 57% completion rate for his career. It's not below 50, but it's still not very good. And he is at 52% with 8 TDs and 6 picks this year.

This is why I find completion percentage to be completely useless. It's like fielding percentage in baseball. It doesn't take into account other factors, like yards per attempt. Logan has a 7.4 yds/attempt which is about middle of the pack right now. But if you look at our two losses his yds/attempt is well above 8. That's how our offense performs, by trying to run the ball then throw long. It's a terrible philosophy, especially when the running game is not working. We rarely run screens to our WR or RBs. And how many drops do you think his receivers have accounted for? I'd say its double digits. If that's the case, then his completion percentage jumps above 60%.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I find completion percentage to be completely useless. It's like fielding percentage in baseball. It doesn't take into account other factors, like yards per attempt. Logan has a 7.4 yds/attempt which is about middle of the pack right now. But if you look at our two losses his yds/attempt is well above 8. That's how our offense performs, by trying to run the ball then throw long. It's a terrible philosophy, especially when the running game is not working. We rarely run screens to our WR or RBs. And how many drops do you think his receivers have accounted for? I'd say its double digits. If that's the case, then his completion percentage jumps above 60%.

The receivers are dropping balls because Logan doesn't throw them accurately. Yes there have been so blatant, right in the numbers drops. But a lot of them Logan is throwing high and behind the receiver, which makes it WAYY more difficult to catch. If I was a WR, I would be terrified going over the middle because Logan sets them up to get wrecked. And throw out the yards per completion number in the Pitt game because it is drastically skewed by the 70 yard run after the catch by Marcus Davis. Our offensive numbers without the play were sickening for that game.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in regards to screens, we ran a bunch of them in the last game. That's where most of JC's good touches came from if I'm not mistaken.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The receivers are dropping balls because Logan doesn't throw them accurately. Yes there have been so blatant, right in the numbers drops. But a lot of them Logan is throwing high and behind the receiver, which makes it WAYY more difficult to catch. If I was a WR, I would be terrified going over the middle because Logan sets them up to get wrecked. And throw out the yards per completion number in the Pitt game because it is drastically skewed by the 70 yard run after the catch by Marcus Davis. Our offensive numbers without the play were sickening for that game.

He also had 7 other completions over 10 yards including a 44 yard completion to Dyrell and two 20 yard completions. It's the exact same style we played with Tyrod and the only difference is that Tyrod was much quicker to escape when the OL (continuously) broke down. We dont' have the offensive line to throw the ball long and when the running game isn't working we're in even more trouble. If you look at the Pitt game, our best series in the first half was the second in the second quarter. And the longest completion was 15 yards. We only got a field goal, but that was because we had a rush for nothing and then a sack.

Logan has struggled, but to put it on him is ridiculous and to suggest benching him is even more so. What is Leal going to do? Nothing. In fact, it'll be even worse because he is much smaller and just as fast, meaning once the pocket inevitably collapses, he's going to get crushed or heave it in desperation. I'll be honest, I didn't watch the Cincinnati game. I was at a wedding and saw the results and refused to watch. But even if Logan had the worst game of his career, I'd still want him as my QB. We've seen his highs and I think he can still be a 1st round QB. Maybe not this year, but there's still plenty of football for him to turn it around. We just need to get the running game going because we do not have the offense to pass all the time. Our coaches are not good enough to make the necessary calls.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And the difference between this year's team and past is that both the offense and defense are playing poorly. We haven't had one carry the other yet.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LT has been horrible even with the dropped passes and inconsistent pass protection. Every time Leal comes into the game over the past 2 years he throws accurate darts all over the field and he usually gets it out quick. But anyone wanting LT to remain the QB shouldn't worry because it is not Beamer's style to make drastic changes

Last edited by a moderator:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LT has been horrible even without the dropped passes and inconsistent pass protection. Every time Leal comes into the game over the past 2 years he throws accurate darts all over the field and he usually gets it out quick. But anyone wanting LT to remain the QB shouldn't worry because it is not Beamer's style to make drastic changes

Backup QBs always look better when the starters are struggling. Doesn't mean they are the better player. You are underestimating how hard it is to replace 8 players on offense.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT has been horrible even with the dropped passes and inconsistent pass protection. Every time Leal comes into the game over the past 2 years he throws accurate darts all over the field and he usually gets it out quick. But anyone wanting LT to remain the QB shouldn't worry because it is not Beamer's style to make drastic changes

I'm by no means saying LT has been good, but the one game Leal came into he was really inaccurate too. He only threw a few times but missed a wide open receiver on the first I think

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kinda OT:

if you guys dont watch the film reviews over on tkp, you should.

also some pretty good reading over there:

"At one point there used to be a hard-nosed football team in Blacksburg. This football team would wear all maroon. They didn't give any fucks. They were angry. They played in a Terror Dome. They earned respect. They attacked, and attacked, and attacked until they lived in their opponent's backfield. They brought their lunchpail to work, but ate the other team's sandwiches. They had athletic players, put them in a position to succeed, and they did.

Where are they at?"

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
On TKP he said that the play calling wasn't to blame and I have to disagree with that. This team needs to be using the edges of the field ALL THE TIME starting from the very beginning of games. Outside, outside, outside all damn game. No plays to the short side of the field. Get the speed guys in space early and often. Anything other than that shows VT has morons running the offense and changes need to be made with the staff if they aren't going to change the way they do things

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On TKP he said that the play calling wasn't to blame and I have to disagree with that. This team needs to be using the edges of the field ALL THE TIME starting from the very beginning of games. Outside, outside, outside all damn game. No plays to the short side of the field. Get the speed guys in space early and often. Anything other than that shows VT has morons running the offense and changes need to be made with the staff if they aren't going to change the way they do things

I think it is a combination of some of the plays being the wrong call at that time, and the players not executing when the plays called are actually there. I agree that going on the edge has been more successful than inside, but you can't do this all of the time. Teams will make adjustments and have a defender MAKING the O play from the outside--in (containment). Have to run up the middle at least every once in a while to keep the defense honest. We are through most of the so called "fluff" of our schedule, and from here on out we will mostly play teams that are as skilled and talented as VT is (or probably more so in the case of Clemson and FSU). We will not be able to complete overwhelm the opponents with athletic ability.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was exaggerating a bit but I think it should be around 70/30 outside/inside. The OGs are, excuse me, SHOULD have been forcing the coaches to try a more finesse approach. Most of the really good gains this year have been on outside plays. They should incorporate them starting on the first drive but VT has a bunch of stubborn idiots and conflicting philosophies it seems like. I've just got this feeling that Hite is in Beamer's ear saying "up the gut, up the gut", which Beamer relays to his stooge Stiney

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was exaggerating a bit but I think it should be around 70/30 outside/inside. The OGs are, excuse me, SHOULD have been forcing the coaches to try a more finesse approach. Most of the really good gains this year have been on outside plays. They should incorporate them starting on the first drive but VT has a bunch of stubborn idiots and conflicting philosophies it seems like. I've just got this feeling that Hite is in Beamer's ear saying "up the gut, up the gut", which Beamer relays to his stooge Stiney

Right. Up the gut has been pretty disappointing. To go up the gut you either have to have bulldozers on the interior, or very athletic big guys that can handle some creative inside/trap kind of blocking schemes. I have seen neither from our interior linemen.