• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic: Mother In Law

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a very nice place we visited today and most importantly, it appears they'll take her.
She loved the place and then came home and shit her depends and started crying about "nobodies going to give me the help I need" She has worn her welcome out with me and wife.
It there or straight to a nursing home. I want my life back and so does my wife.
Of all the callous dumbass things I put on here, I wish you and your wife the best.
And the monster in law.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although the in-laws have passed on, I certainly miss them more than I miss the ex-wife. Both of you will probably have some regrets over putting her in a home, but it's probably for the best in her condition. You will get your own lives back, at least.

Again, best of luck with this.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My father died when I was in my fourth tour. My mother died in 2000. They were never able to become a pain in the ass.
My In-laws lived into their eighties. My FIL went quick. My wife spent the final year of my MIL's life caring for her in her condo. She had dementia and started to walk out the front door and dropped dead.

I guess, compared to what you're dealing with, I was lucky. I hope some of it rubs off on you.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I was lucky, too. My Dad died of cancer at 57, and was never hospitalized. My Mom died of cancer in her late 70s, and only spent a week or two in the hospital, living independently by herself until then. The in-laws were in a nice assisted living place until the end. The GF's Dad went to the hospital with stomach pain, it was a ruptured duodenal ulcer, they said he wouldn't survive the operation, he went home to his assisted living place and he died the next day.

When I go, I want to get hit by a beer truck. Good local beer, not that Buttwiper shit.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mother lived into her late 80's. Went to sleepand didn't wake up. I was overseas.
My father died at 55 and I was in the army. Did not hear about it until 10 years later.
He abandoned us when I was 10. I hate that I did not get to watch him die.
Mother in law? I might go before her......

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I was lucky, too. My Dad died of cancer at 57, and was never hospitalized. My Mom died of cancer in her late 70s, and only spent a week or two in the hospital, living independently by herself until then. The in-laws were in a nice assisted living place until the end. The GF's Dad went to the hospital with stomach pain, it was a ruptured duodenal ulcer, they said he wouldn't survive the operation, he went home to his assisted living place and he died the next day.

When I go, I want to get hit by a beer truck. Good local beer, not that Buttwiper shit.
tenor (8).gif

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little in-law update from me.

2 mornings ago my father-in-law went walkabout in just his pajama top.

He was out and about with his junk hanging free. A young mother across the street corralled him and brought him home. The next day both my in-laws denied it happened. My mother-in-law started ranting and raving about how the neighbours are lying because they just want their house. And yesterday she shuffled across the street and had a big yelling match with the young mother.

The fun never stops. Dementia is a wonderful thing.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother in law went to the emergency room this past weekend. She is still there.
She is being referred to rehab nursing homes when she is discharged.
I believe she is finally understanding that it is time. So is my wife.
It is very hard putting someone in a nursing home. It is especially hard to put a woman in a nursing home who has already done the same with her husband, daughter, son, granddaughter and all her friends. She knows there is no coming back......

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very hard putting someone in a nursing home. It is especially hard to put a woman in a nursing home who has already done the same with her husband, daughter, son, granddaughter and all her friends. She knows there is no coming back......

My mother-in-law says in no uncertain terms “over my dead fucking body”. We would love to get them out and into a home and be able to sell their house while they are alive. It avoids taxes if we sell while they’re living. But of course she doesn’t give a flying fuck about that.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mother-in-law says in no uncertain terms “over my dead fucking body”. We would love to get them out and into a home and be able to sell their house while they are alive. It avoids taxes if we sell while they’re living. But of course she doesn’t give a flying fuck about that.
Capital gains taxes are the opposite in the US. If she sells the house while still alive and does not roll it over into another home for herself, she owes capital gains taxes, but if she dies while holding physical assets, the assets get a new cost basis at the time of death.

Inheritance taxes are completely different.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Capital gains taxes are the opposite in the US. If she sells the house while still alive and does not roll it over into another home for herself, she owes capital gains taxes, but if she dies while holding physical assets, the assets get a new cost basis at the time of death.

My Mom passed from breast cancer in 2016.

My Dad with his broken neck had to go into a care facility.

We sold their house in 2019. My Dad's care cost a certain % of his net income. The 4 kids divided his house by 4 and paid nothing in taxes. When his retirement funds were cashed out after he died, we had to pay taxes on those as they were tax free until used.

My brother had "ownership" of all his accounts. So technically it was all his to give away as he pleased.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sell your house and the latest tax exemption is $500,000.
Just had my taxes done by the IRS and they had to drug me when I saw the $118 return

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Mom passed from breast cancer in 2016.

My Dad with his broken neck had to go into a care facility.

We sold their house in 2019. My Dad's care cost a certain % of his net income. The 4 kids divided his house by 4 and paid nothing in taxes. When his retirement funds were cashed out after he died, we had to pay taxes on those as they were tax free until used.

My brother had "ownership" of all his accounts. So technically it was all his to give away as he pleased.
Shit, you have a decent brother. So many stories of arrangements like that were the "ownership" sibling prefers to be greedy over fair and thinks nothing about the alienation that rips apart the family.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, you have a decent brother. So many stories of arrangements like that were the "ownership" sibling prefers to be greedy over fair and thinks nothing about the alienation that rips apart the family.

Aye, I do. We are a nice family. No shitheels.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sell your house and the latest tax exemption is $500,000.
Just had my taxes done by the IRS and they had to drug me when I saw the $118 return
The $500 is joint. If one spouse has passed then the amount is $250K. My dad hit a jackpot due to the house going into mom's name in the 80's, then when she passed in 2017 it went to my dad and his "cost" was based on the 2017 value. In 2020 he sold and reduced the taxable amount further by the $250K. He owed nothing after owning for 45 years.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Unisom with lots and lots of potassium right before bedtime.

I know it's wrong, but it's so so right that I hope someone does it for me.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not if it has been her primary residence for...5 (?) years.

Edit: Googled it...2 years. And yes. $250k/500k.