• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys suggesting that there's a need to redefine what it means to operate in a free market/ free enterprise system?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you guys suggesting that there's a need to redefine what it means to operate in a free market/ free enterprise system?
I don’t think so , I think if you take money to play you should in fact play . Now as for transfers, well that is another question .

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think so , I think if you take money to play you should in fact play . Now as for transfers, well that is another question .
So, they shouldn't consider what's best for their professional careers if coming out?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, they shouldn't consider what's best for their professional careers if coming out?
If you take money plus the free education you should play . You can get just as injured working out , playing in draft bowls and college scouting days.

I am not against guys making money after HS , that’s fair , but hell look at these bowl games , those aren’t the teams that earned the chance to play in. Them They are glorified spring training games.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take money plus the free education you should play . You can get just as injured working out , playing in draft bowls and college scouting days.

I am not against guys making money after HS , that’s fair , but hell look at these bowl games , those aren’t the teams that earned the chance to play in. Them They are glorified spring training games.
I agree with the "glorified spring games" point, however, that seems to be an issue that conventional power players have with trying to hold onto the old "Bowl" set-up rather than converting them into part of an extended playoff system. Although they are several years behind the need for a serious playoff system, Check this out...

College Football Playoff expansion: What you need to know

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will all be worked out in a contract. The fans should stop watching bowl games, this destroying the advertising money. This would reduce NIL salaries, possibly make them go away all together. If fans learned to turn games off instead of bitching about it, the problems would go away.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will all be worked out in a contract. The fans should stop watching bowl games, this destroying the advertising money. This would reduce NIL salaries, possibly make them go away all together. If fans learned to turn games off instead of bitching about it, the problems would go away.
Next year they are going to a 12-team playoff format so the advertising money won't be destroyed, just spent differently to reflect the changes. NIL money is a problem that can only be controlled by altering when the transfer portal is open and closed. Right now the transfer portal in the fall begins with the sport's championship selection. For football, that means the portal opens on Dec. 4, 2023, the day after the College Football Playoff bracket was revealed and bowl games were announced.
The transfer portal is open for a total of 30 days in the winter. Players have until Jan. 2, 2024, to put their name in the portal, however, they do not have to commit to a new program before the deadline is over.

There will also be a 15-day period in the spring for players to enter the portal. That will be from May 1 to May 15. That said, not every player in the portal is restricted to that time frame. Graduate transfers — players who graduated from a four-year school and still have a fifth year of eligibility — can enter into the portal at any time.

Changing the time frame in which the transfer portal is open and rules are altered for Graduate transfers will have the desired effect on both the players and sponsors. The biggest issue right now is an incredibly weakened NCAA governing body or as I suspect no uniformity within that group.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year they are going to a 12-team playoff format so the advertising money won't be destroyed, just spent differently to reflect the changes. NIL money is a problem that can only be controlled by altering when the transfer portal is open and closed. Right now the transfer portal in the fall begins with the sport's championship selection. For football, that means the portal opens on Dec. 4, 2023, the day after the College Football Playoff bracket was revealed and bowl games were announced.
The transfer portal is open for a total of 30 days in the winter. Players have until Jan. 2, 2024, to put their name in the portal, however, they do not have to commit to a new program before the deadline is over.

There will also be a 15-day period in the spring for players to enter the portal. That will be from May 1 to May 15. That said, not every player in the portal is restricted to that time frame. Graduate transfers — players who graduated from a four-year school and still have a fifth year of eligibility — can enter into the portal at any time.

Changing the time frame in which the transfer portal is open and rules are altered for Graduate transfers will have the desired effect on both the players and sponsors. The biggest issue right now is an incredibly weakened NCAA governing body or as I suspect no uniformity within that group.

The point is simply, fans have the power but not the will to exert it.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 347367August 8, 1982. A line drive foul ball hits a four year old boy in the head at Fenway. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him.When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.This is what a sports Hero looks like!

As a lifelong Red Sox fan and big Jim Rice fan as well I appreciate you sharing this story I had not heard before.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is simply, fans have the power but not the will to exert it.
This is true in all business ventures but let's face it, football is not likely to go away and thus far in the world of sports entertainment, it is king!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington choking in title game

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be erased in the underwear Olympics.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another useless but interesting tidbit. The Redskins had 5 guys that were number first round picks from the 1961 draft.

1st pick - Tommy Mason - RB - mostly for Rams and Vikings, George Allen brought him in 1971 .... only one year in Washington
2nd pick - Norm Snead - traded to Philadelphia for Sonny
3rd pick - Joe Rutgens - DT that played for Washington for 9 years
4th pick - Marlin McKeever - TE - one of the Ramskins that Allen brought
11th pick - Billy Kilmer - no need to splain Whiskey

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3