• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Topic Lounge

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to mention the other very real possibility. He needed the money. Going over the debt limit was a big problem for his cash flow and that note was coming due.

I know he's walking away with a big check. But he was already incredibly wealthy. There is no doubt he never wanted to do this, this has to hurt him to sell and no longer be part of the club. So that's a victory in my mind.
Has there ever been a more hated owner in pro sports?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
al davis might be more hated than snyder.
Disagree. Davis was weird and frustrating, but he didn't pimp out cheerleaders, have a stadium with crap flowing down the field, dodge Congressional inquries, have the feds audit his books, have the worst attendance in the nfl, and have a city sue him. I left out quite a bit as well. Davis was just odd, but he did win some. Snyder was hated by literally everyone and damaged the franchise almost beyond repair. Davis built the raiders.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis was loved by Raider Nation. As far as I know there were not countless reports of him belittling hotel staff etc. Raiders won under Al Davis. Snyder is nearly universally hated by the fanbase and that was before all this other crap.

No there has never been an owner so hated not only here but throughout the nation.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis was loved by Raider Nation. As far as I know there were not countless reports of him belittling hotel staff etc. Raiders won under Al Davis. Snyder is nearly universally hated by the fanbase and that was before all this other crap.

No there has never been an owner so hated not only here but throughout the nation.
Agreed 100%

It's not even close

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of get amused by some people and how receptive they are to different POV ‘s .

There is a segment that allows the POV and debates on facts with some emotion

. There are others who wish to silence the opposing view rather then win in the arena of ideas.and think using nothing but emotion

you can always tell that when it happens because of how they say things . “ I am glad you didn’t delete my post “ as if the implication is my first default is to silence one’s opinion .

the next thing that gives it away is one side will argue their position to the end of time ( I.E. fall on their sword ) but can’t or won’t understand that the other person can and will do the same if the feel strongly about a matter .

another way is the insulting technique. Just insult your opponent rather then address facts

the next thing is “ your position as moderator precludes you from engaging in debates“. As if my only role is to call balls and strikes and baby sit . Again another back door attempt to silence opinion .

the last thing is the old “ your POV , style and nature cause people to move on “ again this is a back door way of saying you can’t express , debate or argue your POV because great posters are so offended that you will stand up for your view point that they can’t stand it . So you must change your ways but not the other poster just you because I see things differently.

people who leave the board “because of me solely “ are grown adults . If they don’t want to debate , fine , but insisting everyone holds their POV or I am leaving like a petulant child is on them . It’s bullying. Plain and simple . If they don’t understand that this is a message board frequented by people of all walks of life with different experiences are simply being naive and are naive to think someone will lie down on their ass because you can’t change another’s mind and you think they should because of your own personal arrogance .
free exchange of ideas is what this board is about . If you come here and don’t understand that then that’s your problem not the boards problem

this isn’t an echo chamber here and anyone using the above tactics is showing that their argument is a losing one . The argument not the position taken .
so in the future if you want to use these bullying tactics in the future do so at your own risk because I will deal with the trolling

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To our vets out there who are students of military history/tactics...the new "Napoleon" trailer looks sick.

Ridley Scott is hit or miss...I get that. I loved "Black Hawk Down" and it appears he went to great lengths to be as accurate as possible. Clearly, Scott will take some liberty with "Napoleon" but I am sure our military folks here will appreciate it from a military doctrine standpoint.

Looks like Austerlitz and the Egyptian Campaign (Battle of the Pyramids) will be featured.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To our vets out there who are students of military history/tactics...the new "Napoleon" trailer looks sick.

Ridley Scott is hit or miss...I get that. I loved "Black Hawk Down" and it appears he went to great lengths to be as accurate as possible. Clearly, Scott will take some liberty with "Napoleon" but I am sure our military folks here will appreciate it from a military doctrine standpoint.

Looks like Austerlitz and the Egyptian Campaign (Battle of the Pyramids) will be featured.
i am very interested in how they portray the battles (both losses ) the principles used in that day still hold up even though weapons are more advanced

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am very interested in how they portray the battles (both losses ) the principles used in that day still hold up even though weapons are more advanced
Exactly...he was a genius and wrote the book on the role of artillery in warfare.

My guess is that they will focus on his love affair with Josephine as well. He was a complex character. I hope Scott doesn't go Braveheart and completely make up most of the story. I love "Braveheart" but so much of it just didn't happen. We have a good bit of material on Napoleon so we should be in better shape...I hope.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Hollywood. Most military movies have a load of BS in them ... didn't make Braveheart fun to watch.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Hollywood. Most military movies have a load of BS in them ... didn't make Braveheart fun to watch.
"Stalingrad", "Gettysburg", "Come and See", and "Dunkirk" were fairly accurate. "Generation War" and "We Were Soldiers" seem to be the more accurate of the most recent bunch of movies. The Vietnam movies were clearly over the top and painted the troops in a poor light. Just my opinion.

"Come and See" is a must-watch for any WW2 historian. I almost got physically ill watching it. It is obviously from the Soviet point of view but it is incredible.The Eastern Front often gets neglected.

I agree that most movies are loaded with bs and Hollywoodized. Sad....

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Stalingrad", "Gettysburg", "Come and See", and "Dunkirk" were fairly accurate. "Generation War" and "We Were Soldiers" seem to be the more accurate of the most recent bunch of movies. The Vietnam movies were clearly over the top and painted the troops in a poor light. Just my opinion.

"Come and See" is a must-watch for any WW2 historian. I almost got physically ill watching it. It is obviously from the Soviet point of view but it is incredible.The Eastern Front often gets neglected.

I agree that most movies are loaded with bs and Hollywoodized. Sad....
I'll just leave it at I was in the military and also a historian of BOOM as I like to call it. More so naval history, dad would be much stronger than me on land. Although the Civil War was my particular interest. Movies are for entertainment and always have and always will be.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just leave it at I was in the military and also a historian of BOOM as I like to call it. More so naval history, dad would be much stronger than me on land. Although the Civil War was my particular interest. Movies are for entertainment and always have and always will be.
Understood. I am a Civil War armchair historian myself..., but more so World War 1. Naval history would be a weakness for me.

Not trying to agenda post but if you haven't seen it, "Come and See" is a great film and is exactly the opposite of what you talked about with "entertainment". You probably have seen it or know what I am referring to.

I think WW2 Eastern Front is something that we know little about as Americans. Especially, the partisan effort against the German Army. Let me clarify, I don't know a lot about the Eastern Front for WW2. The Red Army during WW2 is complex and you almost need a decoder ring to have a good grasp of what happened. Or...at least I do. That being said, we learn little to nothing about the Red Army contribution during WW2 outside of bulk numbers and statistics. That is just my opinion. Some of those Soviet generals were prodigious commanders.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very much educatEd on military tactics from , air , sea and ground As for about 5 yrs of my career In the army I was involved in planning from battalion S-2 to brigrade to division to army corp level .

I had to be an “ expert “ in combined arms and had to know our tactics from all service branches as well as the enemies service branches .

I was obviously better at ground attack and air defense but I had to know everything. I worked with many famous officers and met 3 presidents

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very much educatEd on military tactics from , air , sea and ground As for about 5 yrs of my career In the army I was involved in planning from battalion S-2 to brigrade to division to army corp level .

I had to be an “ expert “ in combined arms and had to know our tactics from all service branches as well as the enemies service branches .

I was obviously better at ground attack and air defense but I had to know everything. I worked with many famous officers and met 3 presidents
You are probably an expert on the AEF then and have read about the Meuse-Argone Offensive and the Hundred Days Offensive. I think The Hundred Days Offensive is the most important campaign in the past 100 years. It set the stage for modern combat and was the blueprint for combined arms attack. No doubt Guderian expanded upon this campaign when he formed his tank and Blitzkrieg theories in WW2..particularly The Battle of France.

Shelby Foote said that the Civil War created 2 geniuses: Forrest and Lincoln. I think WW2 created 2 military geniuses: Guderian and Zhucov.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably an expert on the AEF then and have read about the Meuse-Argone Offensive and the Hundred Days Offensive. I think The Hundred Days Offensive is the most important campaign in the past 100 years. It set the stage for modern combat and was the blueprint for combined arms attack. No doubt Guderian expanded upon this campaign when he formed his tank and Blitzkrieg theories in WW2..particularly The Battle of France.

Shelby Foote said that the Civil War created 2 geniuses: Forrest and Lincoln. I think WW2 created 2 military geniuses: Guderian and Zhucov.
I am not sure Zhukov was a genius per se .Soviet and now Russian tactics now rely on numbers . Guderian saw what combined arms can do

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tactically I think grant and lee were ahead of their time and in WW2 Patton was the real genius along with Rommel