• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns can be reasonably assured that their QB won't be in jail. What they can't control is the media machine..... I really don't think Watson is going to buy off enough folks to keep them from talking. Should be an entertaining year on TMZ.

in the meantime, any ohio resident who doesn't like it is free to drive past the 10 commandments and watch Joey B play

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few underrated (and not discussed as much) reasons the Bengals will improve next year.

- Taylor will be better as a coach. In general I think he has shown the capacity to learn and make adjustments to how he does things. He still makes misakes as a play caller and game manager, but I think he'll continue to get better.

- Higgins and Chase are going to be better. Scary to think about it, but Higgins is only going into year 3 and Chase in year 2. Chase didn't even play in college the year before last. It's hard to think of him making an astronomical jump from his already impressive rookie year, but by all accounts he should improve.

- Burrow is still getting better. Same points I made about the receivers.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few underrated (and not discussed as much) reasons the Bengals will improve next year.

- Taylor will be better as a coach. In general I think he has shown the capacity to learn and make adjustments to how he does things. He still makes misakes as a play caller and game manager, but I think he'll continue to get better.

- Higgins and Chase are going to be better. Scary to think about it, but Higgins is only going into year 3 and Chase in year 2. Chase didn't even play in college the year before last. It's hard to think of him making an astronomical jump from his already impressive rookie year, but by all accounts he should improve.

Everyone focuses on the OL for Burrow, but don't sleep on Mixon.

Behind that right side, you could see him get 4.5-5.0 YPC. Let's just assume for 1 moment that Carmen even makes a small jump forward, his run-blocking was solid at times last year (no metrics, just off some memory) and next to Karras at C, and Williams at LT - the OL as a whole will be able to churn out some yards.

How many times did the Bengals need 1-2 yards only to watch Mixon, or Perine, get stuffed at, or behind, the LOS? I don't think that will be the case nearly as much this year. Short yardage game should see a big time improvement. Those are the hidden yards in games where you can win/lose close games.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the weird thing. I agree the team will improve for all of those reasons and a few others, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their record will be better than last year. Its possible that they play a lot better but it doesn't result in more wins.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the weird thing. I agree the team will improve for all of those reasons and a few others, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their record will be better than last year. Its possible that they play a lot better but it doesn't result in more wins.
Definitely true. And against good teams, it will still come down to just a few different plays and if those go against you, you probably lose. The places where these roster improvements should really show up is against bad teams.... I would suspect next year's team will be less vulnerable to having to slug it out with a Jax team or maybe won't lose to a last place team on the road (like the Jets game last year).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, the w/l's will even out a bit from last year. Maybe you sneak out a win against a team like GB or the 49ers (which were both close losses and likely wins with how the game was going). You don't lose to teams like the Jets or Chicago, and you don't lose both games to Cleveland.

So, maybe they split with the Ravens this year, but if they split with the Browns, that's still the same number of wins. Maybe they lose to another good team, but if they can avoid losing to the bad teams (like last year), that can also even out.

Although, the premise is correct. This team could be better, and still end up in a struggle to make the playoffs.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, the w/l's will even out a bit from last year. Maybe you sneak out a win against a team like GB or the 49ers (which were both close losses and likely wins with how the game was going). You don't lose to teams like the Jets or Chicago, and you don't lose both games to Cleveland.

So, maybe they split with the Ravens this year, but if they split with the Browns, that's still the same number of wins. Maybe they lose to another good team, but if they can avoid losing to the bad teams (like last year), that can also even out.

Although, the premise is correct. This team could be better, and still end up in a struggle to make the playoffs.
Conference is jacked. I still see us having an 11-6 record.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is sort of life in the NFL, right? A great deal of the press has decided that the Buffalo Bills are the best team in the NFL and 'should' have come out of the AFC last year. But they were 7-6 at one point after losing 4 of 6 games. Unless you play in a god-awful division, you'll have to fight for your playoff life for most of the season. In the AFC next year, that is definitely going to be true.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is sort of life in the NFL, right? A great deal of the press has decided that the Buffalo Bills are the best team in the NFL and 'should' have come out of the AFC last year. But they were 7-6 at one point after losing 4 of 6 games. Unless you play in a god-awful division, you'll have to fight for your playoff life for most of the season. In the AFC next year, that is definitely going to be true.
I feel like the bills and the bengals are both teams that, historically, have had multiple periods of moderate success but always finds a way to lose the on the biggest stage. I suppose it’s kind of fitting that they are both considered to be really good now at the same time. It has the makings of a really fun cross division rivalry.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Bills look really good on paper. They have a top 5 defense and offense. They signed Von Miller to bolster the pass rush and they get a probowl caliber CB off injury when White's healthy.
I do think they have a potential problem in that Diggs is now the most underpaid veteran player in the league and they have limited cap space with Allen's contract hitting its high numbers soon. He's the only blue chip skill player they have and I'm not sure how they keep him.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
buffalo looked really good at times in the playoffs. I did not want us to face them.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was gutsy of Tee Higgins to play the entire season with a shoulder that needed some work. He was getting better as the season moved on..... I think he is till growing into what he'll become. I'm sorta doubtful that we'll be able to keep him past 5 seasons (rookie deal and one franchise tag), but we'll see.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was gutsy of Tee Higgins to play the entire season with a shoulder that needed some work. He was getting better as the season moved on..... I think he is till growing into what he'll become. I'm sorta doubtful that we'll be able to keep him past 5 seasons (rookie deal and one franchise tag), but we'll see.
We will see. Tee grew up a Bengals fan and always wanted to be a Bengal. So we will see what money versus the heart equates to.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. Tee grew up a Bengals fan and always wanted to be a Bengal. So we will see what money versus the heart equates to.
I think the money won't be here for him. He's not going to sacrifice millions. And the Bengals probably won't be able to carry Burrow as the top paid QB, Chase as the top paid WR, and still have money for another receiver. It would just leave too little for other areas of the team. Like you said.... We'll see.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking more and more like Watson will miss most of the season for the Browns. My hope was that he would play and that we would beat him twice. I was also hoping that Hobs would note the occasion with some creative Hobs-type headlines that would also be edgy for this particular circumstance.

"Bengals ruin Watson's happy ending. Late Browns comeback falls short."

"Bengals rub Watson the wrong way. Bengals D shines in win."

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking more and more like Watson will miss most of the season for the Browns. My hope was that he would play and that we would beat him twice. I was also hoping that Hobs would note the occasion with some creative Hobs-type headlines that would also be edgy for this particular circumstance.

"Bengals ruin Watson's happy ending. Late Browns comeback falls short."

"Bengals rub Watson the wrong way. Bengals D shines in win."
Apparently this latest accusation, #24, could lead to another potential for him to be indicted? Not following too closely on that, but thought I saw something.

Also saw where this new addition could lead to some issues with his "protected" contract, and could lead for the Browns to, potentially, start recouping his money if he is suspended.

As an aside - I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, and I usually find in most cases, you have a 1, or maybe 2, instances of something going on. Think Bauer in MLB, or Big Ben over a decade ago...but 24....TWENTY FOUR?!

I mean - it won't happen, but I just wouldn't be shocked if the NFL decided to suspend him indefinitely pending outcomes. I just don't know how anyone who runs an organization could allow someone to play, or collect a check, while this many litigations/reports/accusations are being placed. And apparently, his dumbass lawyer, has shared that he's done this 100's of times and that a "Happy ending" isn't against the law as long as money isn't exchanged for that "service".....moron.