• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed - and I'll even go as far to say - you could suffer some down years and still be a contender in the post-season because of Burrow and Chase (long term) and of course Higgins this year. Last year was solid from Chase, down a bit for Higgins, and Burrow - well, we know. The defense was abysmal and this team still found a way to win 9 games. I think the depth in general is better than some may think. The issue because - it was too much to ask for some of these guys to come in and hold the fort for 10-11-12 games. They can do it in week 2, and then again in week 6 and then again in week 12...as the situation dictates, but asking these guys to be full time top level starters was too much. They are, however, still very good options for rotational pieces and backups.

I think this team will always look to some F/A. They don't tend to extend guys past their age 30 seasons (or much past it) and you can't hit on every draft pick...so, signings like Brown and Brown, or Hendrickson a few years ago and Awuzie, or Reader and then Rankins...or Stone...are always going to be a part of the plan. The key is to identify the fits for what this team does well, and find guys who can fill those roles, but also don't break the bank. At that, this current stretch under Katie, Troy and Duke have done exceedingly well.
They have also excelled at finding the mid-tier, on the rise, FA..... These are guys that won't command as much guaranteed money. I think the Bengals will be effective in giving high-end per-season deals, particularly those that are over a short time-frame where the money is basically guaranteed. And I think they'll struggle to cut checks to superstars that want North of 100 million in guarantees. But assuming you have your stars, these mid-tier, on the rise guys are a good strategy for building your roster.

I'll also say that NFL fans tend to forget how much stars matter. The Bengals were one or two plays from a Super Bowl win with one of the worst offensive lines you could field on a winning team. The Chiefs just won two championships with one of the worst receiver rooms in the league. You need to have a couple of healthy star players and out perform expectation in critical situations in games.

The current team has some weaknesses or potential weaknesses.... But, they also have enough that if they get good play from other areas, these weaknesses won't prevent them from competing.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have also excelled at finding the mid-tier, on the rise, FA..... These are guys that won't command as much guaranteed money. I think the Bengals will be effective in giving high-end per-season deals, particularly those that are over a short time-frame where the money is basically guaranteed. And I think they'll struggle to cut checks to superstars that want North of 100 million in guarantees. But assuming you have your stars, these mid-tier, on the rise guys are a good strategy for building your roster.

I'll also say that NFL fans tend to forget how much stars matter. The Bengals were one or two plays from a Super Bowl win with one of the worst offensive lines you could field on a winning team. The Chiefs just won two championships with one of the worst receiver rooms in the league. You need to have a couple of healthy star players and out perform expectation in critical situations in games.

The current team has some weaknesses or potential weaknesses.... But, they also have enough that if they get good play from other areas, these weaknesses won't prevent them from competing.
Nailed it. They've done a good job of keeping their drafted guys who are good enough without overpaying them (Burrow/Chase not withstanding) and have absolutely KILLED in that mid-tier still on the rise F/A market where they can give a really good deal, but not break the bank. That goes back to the Hendrickson, Reader, Rankins, Stone, Awuzie, and Hilton type deals...same even for the OL in Brown, Brown, Cappa and Karras...

These ain't your Grand-Daddy's Bengals of the '90's. Katie, Troy, and Duke have a plan - and have been executing it to a very high level. Honestly, it's what we used to lament about Pitt for so long - how they could get guys in that mid-tier and make them look damned good...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like that analysis. Good post.