• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-Season Thread

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's looking more and more like Watson will miss most of the season for the Browns. My hope was that he would play and that we would beat him twice. I was also hoping that Hobs would note the occasion with some creative Hobs-type headlines that would also be edgy for this particular circumstance.

"Bengals ruin Watson's happy ending. Late Browns comeback falls short."

"Bengals rub Watson the wrong way. Bengals D shines in win."
Those are fn fantastic!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently this latest accusation, #24, could lead to another potential for him to be indicted? Not following too closely on that, but thought I saw something.

Also saw where this new addition could lead to some issues with his "protected" contract, and could lead for the Browns to, potentially, start recouping his money if he is suspended.

As an aside - I'm all for innocent until proven guilty, and I usually find in most cases, you have a 1, or maybe 2, instances of something going on. Think Bauer in MLB, or Big Ben over a decade ago...but 24....TWENTY FOUR?!

I mean - it won't happen, but I just wouldn't be shocked if the NFL decided to suspend him indefinitely pending outcomes. I just don't know how anyone who runs an organization could allow someone to play, or collect a check, while this many litigations/reports/accusations are being placed. And apparently, his dumbass lawyer, has shared that he's done this 100's of times and that a "Happy ending" isn't against the law as long as money isn't exchanged for that "service".....moron.
He should get 1 game suspension for each civil suit filed. That'll teach his ass.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should get 1 game suspension for each civil suit filed. That'll teach his ass.
One for each one you say?

Now, seriously - not saying something happened in all 66 cases, but this is likely the minimum....and shows a MASSIVE pattern.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That NYTimes article is very damaging to Watson. It clearly establishes a disturbing pattern. There are a few things in there that I haven't seen covered as much in the past. For instance, Watson was hiring people that weren't really good (or sometimes not even trained) for massage therapy. If the massage isn't for 'therapy,' there really isn't much else in it except the potential for a sexual encounter. Does that make some of the accusations illegal? No... I mean, I think it's legal to ask a massage therapist for consensual sex - Not cool, but certainly legal... But the behaviors that were documented by a number of them do border on illegal and they certainly qualify as creepy and bad for the image of the NFL.

I haven't seen much speculation about Watson's mental state. No matter what side you are on about the legality of his behavior, I think most people can concede that his behavior is really confusing. Particularly for a man of his means.... This is a guy that had a squeaky clean reputation coming out of Clemson. It seems like he has a few screws loose.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin tucker just got a big contract from ravens. Our kickers value just went up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one position it is definitely worth it. If Evan is given $5 million dollars a year, he will be worth every penny if he is money in the clutch.
Kickers like Tucker and McPhearson are game-changers. You are a legit threat to score no less than 3 once you cross the 50...Those are generational/HOF type kickers - and you pay them.

Pay Me GIF

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been trying to figure out when Collins will really play, since he has the back injury.

looking at his history over the past 2 years, it's very unlikely he can make it through a complete season and playoffs.

So I guess we will be seeing a pretty solid portion of Isaiah Prince.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
been trying to figure out when Collins will really play, since he has the back injury.

looking at his history over the past 2 years, it's very unlikely he can make it through a complete season and playoffs.

I've been hoping that D'Ante Smith would be making progress, but it appears he is hurt and not getting as many reps currently. Collins is a wildcard - There is a reason why a tackle with his talent didn't get a bigger deal.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest - while slightly concerned with the back due to the history - I'm glad they brought him along slowly at the beginning of camp rather than rushed him out there and likely made things worse.

It's likely this is going to be something to monitor through the season - so do what you can to have him ready on gameday, and use the extra practice reps for the backups so they are ready to go. At this point, Collins likely doesn't need a ton of practice reps anyway - so tread lightly on Mondays after games, practice on Tuesday, vet rest day on Weds then back on Thursday and walkthroughs on Friday.

If off on Mondays, then treatment, practice Tues, lightly on Weds, with the vet rest day on Thursday and walkthroughs on Friday. Of course, I'd probably take that approach with most of the veterans, especially the bigger guys. OL/DL guys that have to carry that weight and crash into eachother play after play need more rest than other positions. Guys like Reader, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Cappa, Karras - rest 'em when you can....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest - while slightly concerned with the back due to the history - I'm glad they brought him along slowly at the beginning of camp rather than rushed him out there and likely made things worse.

It's likely this is going to be something to monitor through the season - so do what you can to have him ready on gameday, and use the extra practice reps for the backups so they are ready to go. At this point, Collins likely doesn't need a ton of practice reps anyway - so tread lightly on Mondays after games, practice on Tuesday, vet rest day on Weds then back on Thursday and walkthroughs on Friday.

If off on Mondays, then treatment, practice Tues, lightly on Weds, with the vet rest day on Thursday and walkthroughs on Friday. Of course, I'd probably take that approach with most of the veterans, especially the bigger guys. OL/DL guys that have to carry that weight and crash into eachother play after play need more rest than other positions. Guys like Reader, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Cappa, Karras - rest 'em when you can....
I agree. Collins is a beast on the field. At this point in his career, he needs to do whatever he can to be healthy on Sundays. That might mean more rehab time than practice reps, but I think its worth it with a guy like him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Collins is a beast on the field. At this point in his career, he needs to do whatever he can to be healthy on Sundays. That might mean more rehab time than practice reps, but I think its worth it with a guy like him.
Yeah, once you get to a level in year 4/5 of the NFL and are an established starter, or even upper tier reserve, I'm surprised more teams don't really use more rest days during the week. Not only does it bode well for the veterans, but it really opens up the reps for the younger guys.

I'd likely have my schedule be close to:

Monday treatment day, rehab, workouts
Tuesday: Practice where veterans get a lighter workout day - reps for young guys/backups
Weds: Practice - full
Thursday: Vet rest days, or another mix of light reps and young guys/backups getting more reps
Friday: Walkthrough

You have 2 camps - spring and summer - and then once the season ramps up - I don't know that you need 3-4 days of actual practice - especially on guys bodies as they are today. Bigger, stronger, faster - but at a cost of breaking down more. Need more rest. So, I think easing them back into practice on Tuesday, getting a full practice on Weds, and then backing them off again on Thursday allows them to keep sharp with reps, but plans for them to allow their bodies to heal up during the week.

It could be like that for many teams now - I really don't know - but this is how I'd likely structure it, IMO.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, once you get to a level in year 4/5 of the NFL and are an established starter, or even upper tier reserve, I'm surprised more teams don't really use more rest days during the week. Not only does it bode well for the veterans, but it really opens up the reps for the younger guys.

I'd likely have my schedule be close to:

Monday treatment day, rehab, workouts
Tuesday: Practice where veterans get a lighter workout day - reps for young guys/backups
Weds: Practice - full
Thursday: Vet rest days, or another mix of light reps and young guys/backups getting more reps
Friday: Walkthrough

You have 2 camps - spring and summer - and then once the season ramps up - I don't know that you need 3-4 days of actual practice - especially on guys bodies as they are today. Bigger, stronger, faster - but at a cost of breaking down more. Need more rest. So, I think easing them back into practice on Tuesday, getting a full practice on Weds, and then backing them off again on Thursday allows them to keep sharp with reps, but plans for them to allow their bodies to heal up during the week.

It could be like that for many teams now - I really don't know - but this is how I'd likely structure it, IMO.
I laughed about this tweet about Whitworth.... And it's basically the way vets should be handled:

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, I would even rotate him out if we're doing well enough without him.

there are some defenses the other OTs can handle.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparent depth chart on offense

QB: Burrow / Browning / McCarron
RB: Mixon (under contract) / Brown / Williams
FB: none
TE: Hudson (rfa - must resign)
TE2: tbd
WR1: Chase
WR2: Higgins (franchise tag)
WR3: Jones / Iosivas (boyd likely gone)
T: (J williams good as gone)
T: d'ante smith / Jackson Carmon
T: Orland Brown Jr
G: Volson / (backup tbd)
G: Cappa
C: Karras / Hill

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparent depth chart on offense

QB: Burrow / Browning / McCarron
RB: Mixon (under contract) / Brown / Williams
FB: none
TE: Hudson (rfa - must resign)
TE2: tbd
WR1: Chase
WR2: Higgins (franchise tag)
WR3: Jones / Iosivas (boyd likely gone)
T: (J williams good as gone)
T: d'ante smith / Jackson Carmon
T: Orland Brown Jr
G: Volson / (backup tbd)
G: Cappa
C: Karras / Hill
I imagine Sample is TE 1 or 2. I would like to see us go after Bowers, the TE from Georgia.