• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Question Of The Day.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick backstory first...

I was coasting down a hill on I93 in NH near Lincoln (BK certainly knows the hills there) and got a speeding ticket. I was pissed at myself and decided to make budget changes to myself to make up for it...

I didn't have a bike. I drove by a yard sale and saw one for five bucks. I only had 4 bucks and a 10 spot. The guy had no change so he took the four. The next day I road it less than a mile to my train station and saved $2. By day two and I was at break even. I paid off the ticket in no time, especially after changing other habits like bringing lunch to work and nor buying coffee out. I have saved THOUSANDS since making those subtle changes to my routines.
I too know the hills there do a lot of hiking that way.

And we all know it's the little pictures that paint our portrait

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A complete set of Noritake China. Place settings for 12. Dinner plates, bread plates, dessert plates, soup bowls, cereal bowls, Vegetal serving bowls, two serving plates. Close out at the PX in Sasebo in 1970. Marked down from $300 to $70. They are in my cellar as I type and haven't been taken out of the monster tote since we moved here in 1997.

It's funny that you asked that question. My wife bought a display case the other day and dug out a set of antique china that's been in the cellar with the Noritake. My grandmother got them when she married my grandfather from her mother and gave them to my mother and my father in 1943 when they got married. The china is in the case on display and now I have to paint the dining room to match the china.
I bought a large set of expensive china at an auction and gave it to my 2nd wife. She loved it.
When she passed away, I gave it to a young couple at church. They loved it!
My 3rd wife came with a very expensive set of china. I have carried it around the world on my many moves.
It is sitting around my new house in Georgia. It will remain in boxes until my wife passes.
What really bothers me is that if I pass 1st, she will move to smaller home and get rid of that damn china!
Why not just chain it around my neck!

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought a large set of expensive china at an auction and gave it to my 2nd wife. She loved it.
When she passed away, I gave it to a young couple at church. They loved it!
My 3rd wife came with a very expensive set of china. I have carried it around the world on my many moves.
It is sitting around my new house in Georgia. It will remain in boxes until my wife passes.
What really bothers me is that if I pass 1st, she will move to smaller home and get rid of that damn china!
Why not just chain it around my neck!
If you do that it's not longer China it's Chaina

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the best thing you purchased under $100.00?

At a yard sale someone had a Griswold cast iron skillet for sale, said it was his granmothers had it marked for $40.00 settled for $25.00, they did not know what they had.
I know I already answered, but I have a pretty good "second" item... My DeWalt tool set.

I was raised to be particularly "handy", but over the past few years I've gotten really good at home repairs including appliances. It may have way more ratchet fittings than I'll ever need, but it also has every type of fitting I never knew I would need. Nothing worse than trying to fix something with the wrong tools.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you do that it's not longer China it's Chaina
Southie, you just confirmed what every man's nightmare fight will be with his wife. "Why is that fuckin' china in the basement and not on the table?"

Her answer...."That's my best china and I'm not going to ruin it."

Our response....."But it's just sitting in a box and never gets used."

Her final response...."And it'll stay there until there's an occasion important enough to use it."

We walk away shaking our heads, "Two weddings, four funerals, forty seven anniversaries....................what the hell could be more important?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A $19.99 hand hammered wok purchased at the Puyallup Fair over 20 years ago. Still have it. Still use it very often.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southie, you just confirmed what every man's nightmare fight will be with his wife. "Why is that fuckin' china in the basement and not on the table?"

Her final response...."And it'll stay there until there's an occasion important enough to use it."

We walk away shaking our heads, "Two weddings, four funerals, forty seven anniversaries....................what the hell could be more important?

"The reasons not to keep Grandma’s china were many. My family is casual, not traditional. We live in a small home outside Boston and have moved four times in the last decade. Most importantly, I’m kind of a minimalist. I just don’t like having a lot of unnecessary things.

As it turns out, a lot of 30-somethings like me face this quandary.

“Multiple generations of china in one house (or, more specifically, basement) seems to be a common American condition,” said Adam Minter, who wrote the new “Secondhand: Travels in the New Global Garage Sale” (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2019)."

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Either your funeral...or hers.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"The reasons not to keep Grandma’s china were many. My family is casual, not traditional. We live in a small home outside Boston and have moved four times in the last decade. Most importantly, I’m kind of a minimalist. I just don’t like having a lot of unnecessary things.

As it turns out, a lot of 30-somethings like me face this quandary.

“Multiple generations of china in one house (or, more specifically, basement) seems to be a common American condition,” said Adam Minter, who wrote the new “Secondhand: Travels in the New Global Garage Sale” (Bloomsbury Publishing, 2019)."
What this article does not address is this;
If a couple is getting married and registers at Blood Bath and Beyond for china, some of their guests will buy them China.
Some will buy them the fine glassware they chose with it.
Some will buy the fine cutlery they chose as well.
They will not have a complete set of anything.
But a newlywed couple just starting out will not be able to afford to complete the set right away, so they will go back a year later to pick up a few more pieces. Then the next year they will go back...to find that line has been discontinued.

So, do you have a wife that is good with partial sets? Or does she want to now save and start anew?

In years gone by, they made things for decades and you could depend on companies to treat you right.
Now, with designed obsolescence in everything consumable, companies are wondering why they are becoming obsolete.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a couple is getting married and registers at Blood Bath and Beyond for china, some of their guests will buy them China.
Great point.

The smartest thing that anyone can do is say, "No gifts please. Just Walmart gift cards."

You can buy everything you need to get started. It ain't Tiffany's, You can buy a set of dinnerware for under $100, a decent set of pots and pans, all your cutlery, utensils, linens, towels and the first month's food all in the same trip.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Patriots win the AFCE and why?

I think they do, BB will have the defense ready could be our best D in years. We added two very good TE's, have one of the best O Lines in the game and should be able to run the ball, which will keep opposing offenses on the sideline.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes NE wins the AFCE for all the reasons YankeeRebel mentioned. The only question is QB. Who will it be? Maybe that needs to be the next question of the day?

On paper the WR room is also improved. Can Cam get them the ball? If not this offense becomes an RPO heavy team. Assuming Cam gets the nod?
There appears to be a good competition going on between Stid, Mac and Hoyer.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots are winners. All the reaasons above. We willhave the QB situation resolved at least for the beginning of the season, whether we like it or not.
We start the season 4-1

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think he is the QB of the future, but I believe Stiddy wins the job and gets the job done.
With a great D that may lead the league any number of different stats.
OL, stud TE's, some really decent new WR's paired with Meyers, a full house of stud RB's.
Yeah, we're primed as fans to watch some playoff games.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they do, BB will have the defense ready could be our best D in years. We added two very good TE's, have one of the best O Lines in the game and should be able to run the ball, which will keep opposing offenses on the sideline.
Defense wins Championships. Has been and always will be the standard.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back on your childhood education do you feel the American school system to some degree brainwashed young Americans?

I absolutely do. They always refereed to how great and heroic America was and is all the time being incredibly selective about what they did not teach us.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking back on your childhood education do you feel the American school system to some degree brainwashed young Americans?

I absolutely do. They always refereed to how great and heroic America was and is all the time being incredibly selective about what they did not teach us.
I think brain washing is an extreme way to describe it, but I completely agree there was a propagandist agenda. I'd describe it more as "sheparding the flock" and a flock is always willing to be led.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To validate your point: Springsteen released "Born in the USA" as a referendum about the horrible treatment of veterans but many (maybe most) couldn't get past the "Born in the USA" lyric as an anthem exclusively to be proud of and never heard the rest of the song. The irony is the line was really intended to mock that exact blind pride.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell no.
I was a little bastard all the wat to the end.
I had a math class, I would sometimes sleep to 11:30 and ask to leave early so I could go smoke before lunch. Mrs. Geisler would always let me. Always. God rest her soul. I would come in on Fridays and ace the tests. Every time.
There was a girl who sat next to me, Every chance I got I would break her pencil just so I could watch her ass as she went to the front to sharpen it.
Married her.
I was the only one who threw my hat, Whooped it up and jumped off the stage when I goy my diploma. Two people came and thanked me for breaking up such a dull ceremony after, my grandfather and the vice principle.

Brainwashed...yeah, not this fucker. I actually wish I had paid more attention to some of my teachers. But I was too drunk at school too often.