• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through this goofball new kick return rule, I wonder if that's why we kept Eskridge around...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading through this goofball new kick return rule, I wonder if that's why we kept Eskridge around...

The new KO rule definitely will take a while to get used to. As written, it comes off like something you would see in the XFL or arena league.

As for Eskridge, keeping him for the final year of his deal doesn't hurt much. He's still cut-able if it comes to that, but if not the cost is only $1.4M. Give the new staff a chance to draw something more out of him. Not much at stake.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands we have a a line of 2 3rd year players, 2 2nd year players and probably a rookie. That's a LOT of inexperience on the OL.
Have to hope these guys can progress to that next step

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're used to this every year
I miss the OL Seahawks had under Holmgren. Under Pete/JS the OL's been less then great and at times awful. Have to see what the OL looks like in September but right now it is making me feel nervous.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss the OL Seahawks had under Holmgren. Under Pete/JS the OL's been less then great and at times awful. Have to see what the OL looks like in September but right now it is making me feel nervous.
Those were some good o-lines under Holmgren. As Flyer stated we do have a young o-line with probably another rookie to add so I'm not nervous as I have confidence our new coaching staff will make the proper changes needed that Pete didn't do.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The line looks bad because Russ holds onto the ball too long" was a fairly common thing to hear during the PC/RW years. Are we moving away from that a little now? Is it just possible those lines were in fact not very good, and we haven't improved it enough yet? (And I fully realize both can be true -- the line was bad *and* RW at times held the ball a bit too long.)

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands we have a a line of 2 3rd year players, 2 2nd year players and probably a rookie. That's a LOT of inexperience on the OL.
IOW's... A total of 6 years of experience between the 5 heading into the regular season... And the 3 interior linemen right now are borderline starting material...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IOW's... A total of 6 years of experience between the 5 heading into the regular season... And the 3 interior linemen right now are borderline starting material...

If we are being honest our interior line is poor right now.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are being honest our interior line is poor right now.

Yah. I think we thought Lewis might be able to hold up.... but that was one of the biggest mail it in efforts I saw last season yet somehow Carolina still paid him. I think Oluwatimi can step up and I also think Bradford has some promise but it's asking a lot. And Abe Lucas may not even be 100% or good to go this season.

OL is definitely the weak point of this team and even if we take a guard at #16 it's still a big question mark unless guys just surge this year (possible but not likely)... maybe Grubb can scheme something special with the WR/HB depth we have... looking more and more like we are almost stuck drafting OL in the first round.. (or trading down and taking one). I was really hoping we could've signed Zeitler to the 1 year deal for $6M the Lions got him at... but I don't even know if we had the cap to do that :(

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah. I think we thought Lewis might be able to hold up.... but that was one of the biggest mail it in efforts I saw last season yet somehow Carolina still paid him. I think Oluwatimi can step up and I also think Bradford has some promise but it's asking a lot. And Abe Lucas may not even be 100% or good to go this season.

OL is definitely the weak point of this team and even if we take a guard at #16 it's still a big question mark unless guys just surge this year (possible but not likely)... maybe Grubb can scheme something special with the WR/HB depth we have... looking more and more like we are almost stuck drafting OL in the first round.. (or trading down and taking one). I was really hoping we could've signed Zeitler to the 1 year deal for $6M the Lions got him at... but I don't even know if we had the cap to do that :(
Lewis didn't really preform well , but the scary thing he did better then our center or RG. I also thought Zeitler would be signed and seen some Seahawks ytube sites that made it a lead pipe cinch. Of course Lewis wasn't worth the contract he got. Still to have a good OL you need to keep a group together to get them working in sync, something that the Seahawks just haven't done since the PC/JS era began. So you need to get away from signing aging vets and cast offs and long shot late draft picks or whatever who are around for a year or two and focus on putting together a group you can keep together for a few years. I know...easy to say, hard to accomplish. I'm just not a fan of the way the Seahawks have proceeded at OL. IDK, maybe JS need to re evaluate how he goes about putting together a OL. Maybe I'm being to negative but I'm just having some doubts right now about JS.....I'm hoping he redeems himself this draft which TBH is a tall task.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our Oline was better 2 years ago, It also looked to have promise going forward. Now it's just a joke. You need a BIG STRONG QB that can ignore rushers because he is superman and we don't have one of those QB's lol. We need a 6 foot 3 to 6 foot 4 228-235 pound strong QB with good pocket awareness, Geno and Howell are not that. Or we draft a RB that can throw lmao. All kidding aside this team is going to regress a lot this year but I just want to see some improvement, Some fire!

Last year it was like they were just going through the motions. In 2010 the 7-9 Hawks made the playoffs and didnt look all that good, in 2011 they didn't make the playoffs and also again finished at 7-9. The thing is we did see a marked improvement, we saw growth and it was noticeable on the field. We just didn't have the QB. I want to see some growth, thats all i want to see as i dont expect a winning season for the next 2 years.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave MacDonald a 6 year deal, right? I think its fair to say they accept that the first two years are going to be rough and expectations are lowered.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave MacDonald a 6 year deal, right? I think its fair to say they accept that the first two years are going to be rough and expectations are lowered.
That's the thing. Can't hardly replace the GM when he hired a HC to a 6 year contract. Next GM would want his own guy at HC. Kind of stroke of genius by JS for job security. Just to be clear I thought JS hit a home run signing Macdonald, no guarantees of course, he could easily be one of those great coordinators who don't cut it as HC, but I think he'll be fine as HC. Time will tell.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be clear I thought JS hit a home run signing Macdonald, no guarantees of course, he could easily be one of those great coordinators who don't cut it as HC, but I think he'll be fine as HC. Time will tell.

One can hope that's for sure but hitting on "the next great HC" who was a good OC/DC is almost as rare if not more so than hitting on a Starting QB. Fingers crossed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can hope that's for sure but hitting on "the next great HC" who was a good OC/DC is almost as rare if not more so than hitting on a Starting QB. Fingers crossed.
I like what I hear and see thus far with Macdonald. Think it's a big ask for him to make lemonade out of lemons though. Man I really hope and pray that JS impresses this draft. Not ready to give up on him yet but I am having plenty of doubts.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what I hear and see thus far with Macdonald. Think it's a big ask for him to make lemonade out of lemons though. Man I really hope and pray that JS impresses this draft. Not ready to give up on him yet but I am having plenty of doubts.

In my eyes JS and PC were both equally responsible for the mess we are in, When it came to the draft they were 50/50 not 60/40. JS made some EXTREMELY bad trades costing a ton of capital and the future of the team. The way he acts now makes me feel like he threw Pete under the bus to save his own ass but we will see how well he does as the true head man. When Seattle hired JS he was VERY green maybe he can do it on his own, but i wont believe it till i see it.

I wont ever forgive them for some of the draft passes they did. Like passing on Kupp or Chubb. Should have drafted Kupp instead of Pocic and should have drafted Chubb instead of Penny. This isn't hindsight either.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my eyes JS and PC were both equally responsible for the mess we are in, When it came to the draft they were 50/50 not 60/40. JS made some EXTREMELY bad trades costing a ton of capital and the future of the team. The way he acts now makes me feel like he threw Pete under the bus to save his own ass but we will see how well he does as the true head man. When Seattle hired JS he was VERY green maybe he can do it on his own, but i wont believe it till i see it.

I wont ever forgive them for some of the draft passes they did. Like passing on Kupp or Chubb. Should have drafted Kupp instead of Pocic and should have drafted Chubb instead of Penny. This isn't hindsight either.
IDK to be honest. I'd guess Pete made the ask and JS made it happen best he could. I just feel JS isn't much of a horse trader ( did fine with the RW trade but that was a no brainier) Since the Superbowl win haven't seen much that impresses in regards to JS, much of that is laid on Pete but I'm not convinced TBH but I'm willing to be impressed if JS aces this draft, heck I'd be happy if does well, never mind acing the draft. However JS has done some really positive things like dumping bad contracts ( yet they were his contracts) making the right hire ( even though it could go wrong , think it was the best choice available and feel JS should be given credit) it just seems kind of weird that after having 3 firsts and 4 seconds ( after trading RW) the Seahawks are in this position, bad defense and league worse OL and getting by with a surprisingly but sort of effective aging journeymen QB but no QB of the future on the roster. This is all the Seahawks got from the trade of RW? Count me as disappointed. I'd be a lot more positive if at least they had a answer at QB other then Geno. Yet here they are with a historical good QB crop and the Seahawks may be forced to forego drafting a realistic candidate for the future at QB and maybe reaching on a piss poor crop next year or extending Geno into his social securities years. Geez that would suck donkey balls. What a dilemma the Seahawks are in. Is there a good answer?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the additions of Baker and Dotson at LB, but why only a one year contract for both of them? Would or could a longer contract be he had with out much more guaranteed money? IDK but I want to think it would be possible. As it stands if they do well the Seahawks will have to decide between paying up or finding the next candidates. Is this a winning strategy? IDK seems to me if JS thinks these guys are players with upside the best way to is sign them for more then a year, but without a lot of guaranteed money. Wondering what you all feel about this.