• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to remember when we saw this many 1-year contracts in an off-season, or at least it sure seems like we have gone that route a lot more this time. It's setting the table for all sorts of contract flexibility in 2025, but it also means a bow wave of expiring contracts.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to remember when we saw this many 1-year contracts in an off-season, or at least it sure seems like we have gone that route a lot more this time. It's setting the table for all sorts of contract flexibility in 2025, but it also means a bow wave of expiring contracts.

They ate a lot of dead cap this offseason. I think they wanted to just clear the rolls and then be able to make moves next year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any concept of how salary cap works?

I do have a realistic grasp of the salary cap and its a stronger grasp than you do obviously LMAO, come on shark don't be so clueless. There are moves that can open up cap RIGHT NOW, DOZENS of them. You know who has the most EXPENSIVE cap hit on the Hawks? I'll give you a hint, he isn't worth that money on a rebuilding team. How about 2nd most? 3rd?

Shark lowering your salary cap is EASY to do, it's just how bad do you want to do it. It becomes much easier to do so when you are rebuilding and the Hawks are 100% rebuilding. Hawks are sitting at 36 million or so in DEAD money and over 16 million in Cap space ( more than enough )with 65 PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT ( they can only carry 53 in a season ). They only need around 10 million to sign 7 draft picks IF they had a pick in every round, they don't. The fact they DONT have a 2nd round pick lowers their needed money pool even though they still have 7 picks. If they signed no one else in FA and just signed EVERY draft pick ( not going to happen ) they'll have around 7 million left in space.

What do rebuilding teams not do? Sign over priced 30+ year olds during a season to try and get over the hump ( something the Hawks have struggled with in past years ).

finagling space with restructures or void years is a simple tactic and seeing that the Seahawks will soon get a 36 million boost PLUS the natural boost every year they have lots of "Future" money to work with. Its not that hard Shark so stop thinking it is. Yes they have a lot of dead cap money and when that comes off the books they get that space back , it's not like it just vanishes. You can work "future years" in using that space.

The real kicker is they should have Cut Jamal Adams in 2022 then we wouldn't have his massive dead cap hit any more. They held onto him WAY to long and because of that they hurt themselves.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a complete butchery of the way this works, not to mention completely ignoring that Howell wasn't acquired for a 3rd and a 5th. Seattle in essence gave up $1 million in net draft "capital" to acquire Howell. The net effect on the team's salary cap this season is about $900,000. Not a single free agent QB has signed for that. Which current free agent would be worth paying more than Howell and is a better option as a player?

Actually the Hawks gave up 3rd and 5th got back a 4th and 6th and lost the point value of a late 3rd round pick. SO because the Hawks picks were higher and worth more when you subtract the point value of the picks they got back there is the value of a Late 3rd round left over. Understand? There is a monetary value per pick chart and go look up the value for a late 3rd, it's around 5 million.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the Hawks gave up 3rd and 5th got back a 4th and 6th and lost the point value of a late 3rd round pick. SO because the Hawks picks were higher and worth more when you subtract the point value of the picks they got back there is the value of a Late 3rd round left over. Understand? There is a monetary value per pick chart and go look up the value for a late 3rd, it's around 5 million.
Those draft slots are not actually worth a 3rd round pick. The value charts are just guides and teams ignore them all the time.

If you asked JS would he rather give up a 4th round pick or do these picks swaps, which do you think he would choose?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a realistic grasp of the salary cap and its a stronger grasp than you do obviously LMAO, come on shark don't be so clueless. There are moves that can open up cap RIGHT NOW, DOZENS of them. You know who has the most EXPENSIVE cap hit on the Hawks? I'll give you a hint, he isn't worth that money on a rebuilding team. How about 2nd most? 3rd?

Shark lowering your salary cap is EASY to do, it's just how bad do you want to do it. It becomes much easier to do so when you are rebuilding and the Hawks are 100% rebuilding. Hawks are sitting at 36 million or so in DEAD money and over 16 million in Cap space ( more than enough )with 65 PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT ( they can only carry 53 in a season ). They only need around 10 million to sign 7 draft picks IF they had a pick in every round, they don't. The fact they DONT have a 2nd round pick lowers their needed money pool even though they still have 7 picks. If they signed no one else in FA and just signed EVERY draft pick ( not going to happen ) they'll have around 7 million left in space.

What do rebuilding teams not do? Sign over priced 30+ year olds during a season to try and get over the hump ( something the Hawks have struggled with in past years ).

finagling space with restructures or void years is a simple tactic and seeing that the Seahawks will soon get a 36 million boost PLUS the natural boost every year they have lots of "Future" money to work with. Its not that hard Shark so stop thinking it is. Yes they have a lot of dead cap money and when that comes off the books they get that space back , it's not like it just vanishes. You can work "future years" in using that space.

The real kicker is they should have Cut Jamal Adams in 2022 then we wouldn't have his massive dead cap hit any more. They held onto him WAY to long and because of that they hurt themselves.

Not 100% sure what you're saying here.

We have a ton of dead cap, yes we can open up cap - you can always open up cap... it is EASY to do, but it does have implications - and those are mitigations by just knocking the draft out of the park (fuckin' Rams).

The draft picks as of now cost about $8M.

We are a rebuilding team (a little at least) - we didn't sign 30 year old overpriced vets (Williams was 30 but he was not overpriced).

Yes, Jamal Adams was a catastrophe. Is what it is.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to keep track of, if it happens, if it doesn't happen it will be because the price tag was to high IMO. If it does happen be good to see how it eventually plays out. Could play out like the Trey Lance trade or could play out like the Chiefs moving up for Mahomes or the Bills moving up for Allen.
Vikings are going to try like hell to move up. No way they're satisfied with Darnold as a starter.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JS sharing some on the offseason:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, that isn't what it is valued at. Your conflating draft pick value chart and draft pick salary costs to come up with a conclusion that makes absolutely no sense. You're using 2 different methods to create a Frankenstein's monster of a value.

Here are the facts:

Seahawks get
Sam Howell - 2024 Cap Hit $985,000
Pick 102 - 2024 Cap Hit 1,002,958
Pick 179 - 2024 Cap Hit 847,674

WTF get
Pick 78 - 2024 Cap Hit $1,057,906
Pick 152 - 2024 Cap Hit 876,323

Seahawks net cost for a backup QB in 2024 - $901,403.

Now, cap isn't the only concern with a player joining a team - but Seattle is not losing "$5 million" in draft capital in this trade. They didn't "lose" a 3rd round pick, or even the value of a 3rd round pick.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I haven't posted a roster this offseason, so now's as good a time as any:

QB Geno Smith, Sam Howell
RB Kenneth Walker, Zach Charbonnet, Kenny McIntosh, Bryant Koback
FB
WR D.K. Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Dareke Young, Jake Bobo, Cody White, Easop Winston
TE Noah Fant, Pharoah Brown, Tyler Mabry
LT Charles Cross, Stone Forsythe
LG Tremayne Anchrum
C Olu Oluwatimi, Nick Harris
RG Anthony Bradford
RT Abraham Lucas, George Fant

DE Leonard Williams, Myles Adams, Mike Morris
NT Johnathan Hankins, Cameron Young
DE Jarran Reed, Dre'Mont Jones, LaTrell Bumphus
OLB Uchenna Nwosu, Derick Hall
ILB Jerome Baker, Jon Rhattigan, Drake Thomas
ILB Tyrel Dodson, Patrick O'Connell
OLB Boye Mafe, Darrell Taylor, Levi Bell
CB Devin Witherspooon, Artie Burns, Lance Boykin
CB Tariq Woolen, Tre Brown, Andrew Whitaker
NB Michael Jackson, Coby Bryant
FS K'Von Wallace, Jerrick Reed, Jonathan Sutherland, Ty Okada
SS Rayshawn Jenkins, Julien Love

K Jason Myers
P Michael Dickson
LS Chris Stoll

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I haven't posted a roster this offseason, so now's as good a time as any:

FB
WR D.K. Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Dareke Young, Jake Bobo, Cody White, Easop Winston
LG Tremayne Anchrum
RG Anthony Bradford

K Jason Myers
P Michael Dickson
LS Chris Stoll

Honestly we're pretty solid outside of guard and ILB. Not a very great ILB class, but we only need depth and it's a GREAT class for OLineman - I'd be fine taking an OL with our 3rd and a LBer with our 4th... and using the 1st on... whatever falls to us. QB and WR are going to consume probably 7 of the top 15 picks... so if we get even a rare EDGE talent or someone like Bowers falling to us, snag em'. And I believe with John's philosophy of BPA, that will happen. Of course we can trade back too, but we don't have that many holes at the moment.

Downside to a lot of these contracts in free agency, is they're 1 year... but we'll have a ton more cap next year pending what we do with Geno. I think it was smart to just eat Adams/Diggs this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FB
LG Tremayne Anchrum
RG Anthony Bradford

K Jason Myers
P Michael Dickson
LS Chris Stoll
The entire interior of the OL is inexperienced and made up by players drafted in late rounds. Scott Huff has a hard job ahead of him to get this line to gel. Could really use a stud inside at least in one of the positions. Olu is interesting and maybe has some upside, but wasn't drafted until the 5th round and only played about 12% of snaps available last season which doesn't seem like a good sign. Nick Harris also a 5th round pick (Browns 2020) was purely a backup and didn't play a lot of snaps. Tremayne Anchrum (7th round Rams) started out as a tackle then switched to guard and purely a backup. Bradford who was a rookie last year has the most experience as a starter and played 63% of snaps.
On the plus side both Rams and 49ers lost a key DT so that will help when the Seahawks play them, hopefully.
Also have to wonder if Lucas will be healthy. Sure hope so because without him ( or even with him) the OL has some question marks.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire interior of the OL is inexperienced and made up by players drafted in late rounds. Scott Huff has a hard job ahead of him to get this line to gel. Could really use a stud inside at least in one of the positions. Olu is interesting and maybe has some upside, but wasn't drafted until the 5th round and only played about 12% of snaps available last season which doesn't seem like a good sign. Nick Harris also a 5th round pick (Browns 2020) was purely a backup and didn't play a lot of snaps. Tremayne Anchrum (7th round Rams) started out as a tackle then switched to guard and purely a backup. Bradford who was a rookie last year has the most experience as a starter and played 63% of snaps.
On the plus side both Rams and 49ers lost a key DT so that will help when the Seahawks play them, hopefully.
Also have to wonder if Lucas will be healthy. Sure hope so because without him ( or even with him) the OL has some question marks.
Looking at IOL I think JS was counting on being able to resign Lewis for a reasonable amount and must of saw red when the Panthers gave him all that money. Lewis may not of been great but looking at the rest of the IOL he was actually the best of the group and the OL would of been better served with him back on the team, but the money was just to much.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 100% fine letting Lewis go for that.. I would've been okay with a 2 year $5M contract to be honest... he was VASTLY overpaid... he was one of the worst left guards in the league last year in a CONTRACT year and can never stay healthy anyway...

Oluwatimi fell in the draft. A lot of scouts considered him a 3rd round prospect. He has issues in the run block but that could be attributed to the terrible guard play by Lewis (inexcusable, good riddance) and Bradford (I think he can be a starter, but he was thrown in a little too early).

I don't think Schneider had any intent of resigning Lewis... and naturally a fail organization in Carolina vastly overpaid him. I think Schneider's plan is to see how the draft goes and if needed sign a vet guard to play that position. Hell go get Risner.. he sucks in run blocking but he's a good pass blocker.

I think with Fant/Lockett/Metcalf/JSN and even resigning Eskridge Seattle is going to 100% move to a pass offense. All of our OL are pass blockers, Zach was the best receiving RB in the draft last year, and K9 can easily be a directional change of pace RB. The days of 'running the ball' with a Tecmo Bowl playbook under Pete are gone. I thought that was the plan anyway last year... until Carroll and Hurtt's dumbass defense couldn't stop anything (allowing the worst TOP in the league against their defense) so they were forced to run the ball and do dumbass WR screens every series.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if needed sign a vet guard to play that position. Hell go get Risner.. he sucks in run blocking but he's a good pass blocker.
Speaking of signing someone, OTC has the Seahawks at 7.9 in cap space and still haven't accounted for Dotson ( what is going on with his contract?) or Hankins and the draft cost is estimated at 8.4 but only 6 million will count in the top 51. JS has some more contracts to redo.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of signing someone, OTC has the Seahawks at 7.9 in cap space and still haven't accounted for Dotson ( what is going on with his contract?) or Hankins and the draft cost is estimated at 8.4 but only 6 million will count in the top 51. JS has some more contracts to redo.

100%. OTC is not including Dodson, Hankins, Wallace, and a couple others. We do need to cut about 10 players so that's something.. but $8M cap space is basically what we need for the draft.

If you do the math at this point we are NEGATIVE cap. I don't know where John is finding all this money with some of the recent signings (Baker was a surprise to me, Hankins, Dodson, and Wallace was WTF HUH - although I loved all 3 of those moves?), but clearly there's a lot of restructuring to do.

I think the plan is... let's setup nicely for the draft.. see where that falls, and then cut accordingly. It's an effective strategy if you have short term contracts (many of Seattle's FA acquisitions do) where you can move off players that we acquired in free agency and draft BPA.. I think that's where Seattle is going to go. If someone can accurately predict who we're taking at 16, I bow down... This is a really intriguing offseason for Seattle.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at IOL I think JS was counting on being able to resign Lewis for a reasonable amount and must of saw red when the Panthers gave him all that money. Lewis may not of been great but looking at the rest of the IOL he was actually the best of the group and the OL would of been better served with him back on the team, but the money was just to much.
yep... Insane amount of money offer to Lewis... Good on him for taking advantage of that... Market dictated that and he took advantage of it... I'm happy we didn't pay him that much because I don't believe he's worth it... 10 million for an average IOL is not my cup of team.. 10.5-12.5 milion a year for the next 3 years? Yikes...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3