• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

Honestly, this was why I wanted to move on from Pete 3 years ago. Really from the moment we botched the Clowney move and knee jerked in the Jamal Adams trade, I lost faith in Pete. Incredible coach and I am so thankful that he was our coach. But at some point, coaches become too entrenched in the past.

Even though I was really hopeful for last season I was kind of looking at his age thinking: "So... we're not going to rebuild with Pete... he's not going to change his ways (well he did - went to a 3-4 and it was an utter disaster) with soft zone which is not really working unless you have like 8/11 all pro caliber players on your D... and he's just kind of going to do this until... he literally dies on the sideline one day?"

It kind of felt like we were in purgatory. Like not a BAD purgatory... I mean the team would maybe get a wild card, be in the hunt, etc. I mean I get it, there's the teams that routinely are losing 10-12 (13) games a year, and that's even worse... but meh? I don't want to be stuck in mediocrity either for 10 more years.

If Pete was like 50 or something I'd be like, "Fine. Let's keep going and maybe he can figure it out." The fact he coached as long as he did is amazing... but it was time.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he cost very little.

??????? How do you figure he cost very little! Are you IGNORING the draft capital they gave up for him? I would rather have those 3rd and 5th round picks. You can break picks down by monetary value and shockingly its all ready been done. That 3rd round pick is worth 5.5 Million the 5th just under 4 million. So now calculate the returning value of picks and the points value we lost is that of a late 3rd round pick or around 5 million. So no not cheap.

How are people just forgetting the "VALUE" of picks? so add 5 million to his salary and you can see why I would have rather signed a "FA" for around 5 million and KEPT the picks.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??????? How do you figure he cost very little! Are you IGNORING the draft capital they gave up for him? I would rather have those 3rd and 5th round picks. You can break picks down by monetary value and shockingly its all ready been done. That 3rd round pick is worth 5.5 Million the 5th just under 4 million. So now calculate the returning value of picks and the points value we lost is that of a late 3rd round pick or around 5 million. So no not cheap.

How are people just forgetting the "VALUE" of picks? so add 5 million to his salary and you can see why I would have rather signed a "FA" for around 5 million and KEPT the picks.

Do you have any concept of how salary cap works? You think we had an extra $4M to blow on a absolute 100% will NEVER be a starter in the league compared to a potentially could be?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any concept of how salary cap works? You think we had an extra $4M to blow on a absolute 100% will NEVER be a starter in the league compared to a potentially could be?
They can create cap space according to spotrac:

1710986716992.png

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JS traded for Howell because he liked some of his traits going back to college. The savings in salary in itself wasn't worth making the trade as the draft capitol is more valuable and you can sign a backup QB for the minimum if super cheap was the goal. It really comes down to how you value a backup QB and what you think of Howell potential. Obviously JS has some hope that Howell has a chance to be more then just a backup or he won't have done the trade.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wut? You think dropping 24 spots in the draft is worth 5 million dollars?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JS traded for Howell because he liked some of his traits going back to college. The savings in salary in itself wasn't worth making the trade as the draft capitol is more valuable and you can sign a backup QB for the minimum if super cheap was the goal. It really comes down to how you value a backup QB and what you think of Howell potential. Obviously JS has some hope that Howell has a chance to be more then just a backup or he won't have done the trade.

I mean I really don't want to go back to discussing this (you and I exhausted our stances) but I think it was both. I think JS likes Howell and the fact he saved a good chunk of cap too boot was an added bonus. Any GM would look at the extra cap as an added bonus and CERTAINLY something to factor into a trade. To what extent I have no idea, I don't work in the finance/accounting department for an NFL organization. But I also remember when the Browns ACQUIRED picks to take on Osweiler's contract from Houston. Houston literally gave up picks to clear their books, so cap space and contracts do 100% factor into trade value.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's rare to have a coaching staff that can turn a below average QB into a good one, if it wasn't there would be more than just a handful of Good QB's in the NFL. thinking this unit can do it is like saying you're going to win the lottery. Wishful thinking at best.
I agree it's a long shot and we should get a good look in preseason games if there is something possible to build on or not.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember after 2020 (remember 2021 he dropped off) Howell was projected to be the #1 overall. That whole QB class in 2022 slid dramatically. I remember Seattle was 'supposed to draft' Malik. I remember waltfootball, the talking heads, other sites, etc. were all blasting Seattle for not taking Malik in the 1st. OMG HOW COULD THEY!?

I think teams really started shying away from RPO style QBs and then with the slide of all QBs in 2022 Howell really took the hit. This was Walt's writeup at the time:

1711037037300.png

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a complete butchery of the way this works, not to mention completely ignoring that Howell wasn't acquired for a 3rd and a 5th. Seattle in essence gave up $1 million in net draft "capital" to acquire Howell. The net effect on the team's salary cap this season is about $900,000. Not a single free agent QB has signed for that. Which current free agent would be worth paying more than Howell and is a better option as a player?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Cardinals want take advantage of the QB craze. Be interesting to see what kind of a haul they get for their pick ( if a trade actually happens). Seems like the Cards are going to be improved and are laying down a foundation.

1711040706182.png

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Cardinals want take advantage of the QB craze. Be interesting to see what kind of a haul they get for their pick ( if a trade actually happens). Seems like the Cards are going to be improved and are laying down a foundation.

View attachment 357703
I see the Vikings making this move. 3 first with a future second and third rounder is my guess.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 357703
Makes sense in a stacked wr class, if that really is such a big need for them like everyone thinks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Vikings making this move. 3 first with a future second and third rounder is my guess.
Maybe but I hope the price tag isn't that high. Two first and 4th in 2025 sounds about right to me. We are most likely talking about the 4th QB in the draft and one who is a tier lower then the first 3, maybe 2 tiers if Caleb Williams is in his own tier.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is looming as ultra important for the Seahawks and their new staff as the competition in the division is going to be very hard.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but I hope the price tag isn't that high. Two first and 4th in 2025 sounds about right to me. We are most likely talking about the 4th QB in the draft and one who is a tier lower then the first 3, maybe 2 tiers if Caleb Williams is in his own tier.
Doesn't matter if it's the 4th QB, it's about the value of the pick knowing that team wants to move up and take him. Always go for max value.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter if it's the 4th QB, it's about the value of the pick knowing that team wants to move up and take him. Always go for max value.
Will be interesting to keep track of, if it happens, if it doesn't happen it will be because the price tag was to high IMO. If it does happen be good to see how it eventually plays out. Could play out like the Trey Lance trade or could play out like the Chiefs moving up for Mahomes or the Bills moving up for Allen.