• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense... Seems like a reasonable move... Barrett use to play for Macdonald at Michigan... MJ was probably going to be a camp cut casualty due to our depth at his position while LB being a weaker area for us on the depth chart... Macdonald obviously sees something there for him to pull the trigger...
But here's the part that sort of doesn't make tons of sense to me: Barrett was a 7th round pick. We had all sorts of opportunity to draft him in April but didn't. Now a trade to get him? Not saying it's a bad move, but it's odd at the very least. About the only thing I can come up with is they really like the CB depth and are more unsure about LB than they were in April?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But here's the part that sort of doesn't make tons of sense to me: Barrett was a 7th round pick. We had all sorts of opportunity to draft him in April but didn't. Now a trade to get him? Not saying it's a bad move, but it's odd at the very least. About the only thing I can come up with is they really like the CB depth and are more unsure about LB than they were in April?

Yeah. I think AO is has it more or less right. We have a lot of depth at CB. MJ was probably a cap casualty. Other teams can count to 53 and they see the same thing.

Building more depth at LB makes sense right now. Mac knows Barrett and maybe sees that there is an upside in him if developed properly.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only issue i have with the trade is Jackson was "Maybe" going to get cut because of the depth at the position, We know the Hawks CB room is OVER FLOWING with talent. Barrett on the other hand was going to be cut because he hasn't looked good. Guess in a way this is like a pat on Jacksons back for giving it his all. He now 100% makes the Panthers team. Jackson always played his best be it good or bad he was out there giving it his all.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what Barrett will be, tbh. But we needed more depth at LB and he's a rookie so cost is low. Somebody would have signed Jackson anyway so we at least got some value. I liked Jackson as a quality guy in the locker room and as Screamin said, a guy that works his butt off but he wasn't going to make the final cut, imo.
Barrett's a little undersized and is probably like a 3rd string at this point but he knows the defense so can't fault the move. And for Jackson, at least this gives him an opportunity to play.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darrell Taylor shipped off to Chicago for a 2025 6th round pick.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th and 7th is more ammo to move up in the draft somewhere if needed… foe players that were going to be released

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,938.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching a replay of preseason game 2 and Taylor just pisses me off. He flipped in from the outside and had it been a run to his side they would have gave up a HUGE gain. There is NO WAY the play was designed like that he sold out to sack the QB and gave up outside containment LIKE ALWAYS to go for personal glory. Yes he had 9.5 sacks but thats because he doesn't care about "Team" Football he wants sacks and will ALWAYS and FOREVER give up containment to his side to try and sack the QB. I am glad he is gone. If he could get it through his FAT HEAD and understand his job he might have been a pretty good player.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well...

Barrett will be cheap for 4 years. That's a positive. Jackson was probably gone after this year. We just have way too much DB depth and all the DBs have been looking good this offseason. Also, Barrett has been performing very well in the offseason and preseason games. His size will prob. keep him from ever being an effective NFL player but he should be an asset on special teams which is pretty important from what I've seen. Lot of bigger returns happening.

Barrett was a 7th rounder this year (so 6th next year, what we let Taylor go for), so that's basically the same, and we get a player that is performing well so far in Carolina's program... plus Mac knows him well... Pritchett has also looked pretty decent so yah (and makes sense he does, how he fell is beyond me). Makes sense you'd bolster your LBer core a bit more. And I think Barrett is pretty good in coverage, so he may see some action on passing downs. His liability is run, but so was Taylors... and Taylor has had quite some time to 'fix things' and it's the same ol' song and dance. Maybe Barrett can learn more...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...

Barrett will be cheap for 4 years. That's a positive. Jackson was probably gone after this year. We just have way too much DB depth and all the DBs have been looking good this offseason. Also, Barrett has been performing very well in the offseason and preseason games. His size will prob. keep him from ever being an effective NFL player but he should be an asset on special teams which is pretty important from what I've seen. Lot of bigger returns happening.

Barrett was a 7th rounder this year (so 6th next year, what we let Taylor go for), so that's basically the same, and we get a player that is performing well so far in Carolina's program... plus Mac knows him well... Pritchett has also looked pretty decent so yah (and makes sense he does, how he fell is beyond me). Makes sense you'd bolster your LBer core a bit more. And I think Barrett is pretty good in coverage, so he may see some action on passing downs. His liability is run, but so was Taylors... and Taylor has had quite some time to 'fix things' and it's the same ol' song and dance. Maybe Barrett can learn more...
Yeah, I think we will see Barrett in pass coverage as a weak side LB or something. His smaller size limits him but Mac is familiar with him and as a rookie, it's really low risk with potential to be a solid reward. Can definitely see him on ST. He does have some quickness.
Taylor was used as an edge rusher on 3rd downs mostly because it was the only thing he was even half good at. And by doing that, it was an easy read for the QB to just change the play to run right by him which a lot of teams did. Any time Taylor was in on early downs, he was a straight up liability. I watch Derrick Hall and he will be on the edge but quickly read a run play and peal off and seal the edge. A hundred times better football IQ and instincts. Same with Mafe.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we got rid of Taylor for a 6th and turned around and traded our 6th (which I think will be the lower pick than the one from Chicago) to get Trevis Gipson from the Jags. Maybe not quite the pass rusher as Taylor but better overall, imo. I like the subtle little moves Schneider is making. No big splashes, just depth pieces and under the radar things that slightly improve the roster. And young guys that are hungry.
In other news, shitty that Nwosu will miss time but hopefully the team can string some wins together early and he can get back fully healthy with lots of juice when we hit the tough part of the schedule.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Holani cut which is mildly surprising
DJ James cut which is mildly surprising.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The James cut didn't surprise me... He honestly looked lost out there during the preseason imo... He was always a step behind in pass coverage and missed one too many tackles...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of other notable or semi notable cus.

PJ Walker. He'll likely find a new home quickly.
Jon Rhattigan - Sounds more like a cap casualty and he could be resigned on a cap friendly deal
Dee Eskridge - Not surprising. One nice punt return just wasn't enough.
Easop Winston - I was hoping he would stick around

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A smidge surprised that Barrett got cut.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A smidge surprised that Barrett got cut.

A tiny bit but I'm guessing that trade was a mutual opportunity trade in which both sides were going to cut the player anyway so there was no down side for them. Barrett will likely wind up on the PS.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A tiny bit but I'm guessing that trade was a mutual opportunity trade in which both sides were going to cut the player anyway so there was no down side for them. Barrett will likely wind up on the PS.

Oh, I totally agree. Just amused by the outside chance that McDonald was like "I hate that guy, I want to be the one to cut him." :dhd:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see that they didn't put Nwosu on IR. That confirms that they think his injury should be no more than 4-6 weeks, hopefully less.