• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Off Season Entertainment

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the trips I've taken back and forth to Florida since December, I've become a snack driver.

I'm diabetic and have to watch my blood sugar. I drink Diet caffeine free coke or pepsi so my supplements are either peanut butter and cheese crackers or Hersey's nuggets. We stop every four hours to gas up, pee and grab whatever snack catches our fancy. We quit after 10 hours at the next exit with lodging and whatever is near the hotel gets my dinner dollars unless it's a Waffle House or McD's etc. Has to be a sit down eatery.

I like hampton Inns because I get Hilton points and they always have a decent breakfast selection. Best of all, it's usually served at 6:00 am which allows me to be back on the road by 6;30 or worst case, 7;00 am. If I'm lucky 6-10 am drive, stop, 10:30-2:30 drive, stop, 3-5 drive, stop for the night.
I try not to figure more than 60 miles traveled in an hour because of traffic and weird stuff. 10 hours = 600 miles.

Since I'll be Driving a 15" u=Haul truck on the 29th from NH to FL, and gas is over $4.60 a gallon, I'll be stocking up on snacks at Walmart and have an ice cooler on the passenger seat and not the wife.
We too travel with healthy snacks. I make fruit bowls, sandwiches, take some Kind Bars etc. A lot of water I hate eating out but will when I have to. For breakfast I look for a Perkins.
I am considering joining Hilton rewards

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We too travel with healthy snacks. I make fruit bowls, sandwiches, take some Kind Bars etc. A lot of water I hate eating out but will when I have to. For breakfast I look for a Perkins.
Load the car with bananas, apples and water... That helps make better decisions when you do stop for meals.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 5300 points away from a free weekend.

I think I'll get them when I stay over on the 31st at the Hampton. When I registered I was given triple points.

Get a lot of emails but well worth the do nothing point offers and very little that has to be done to get them. Some of big offers are spectacular if you have to go somewhere and stay. My sister in law has over a million Hilton points. She stays in Palm Springs for a week at a time and gets her doubled for staying free. Don't ask me. I'm not a millionaire like she and her ex-husband (passed away) were. Or should I say, as she is now.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of bars around here have decent burgers, and even better beer. Big chain fast food used to be an occasional sin, but I have basically decided it all sucks over the past year. Five Guys went food woke and won't make me a rare burger anymore. Even a couple of formerly good bars lost my business when they got rid of their grills and went to fry tops. They started getting thin, pre-made and sometimes pre-cooked burgers. Fuck that shit.

Taco places here only serve fish tacos on flour tortillas with mayo. Only one place has beef tacos on corn tortillas.

If I want a take-out sammich? Pastrami on deli rye at the Jewish deli.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to travel with stuff for very good sandwiches.
I can make a sandwich while driving but I try to avoid that.
I like to bring along Jerky and nuts.

If I'm traveling alone I buy price on a decent hotel, little nicer if wife is coming along.
I have learned to keep driving if nothing but fleabags in a certain location.

On very long drives, I like to plan my stops in advance and find Hotels.com very helpful.
I always read the reviews and have learned to filter out the Karens and whatever the male versions are.
I also filter out the complaints when the traveler is mad at the airlines and the taxis and what they ate on the trip.
You can be miserable anywhere!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of bars around here have decent burgers, and even better beer. Big chain fast food used to be an occasional sin, but I have basically decided it all sucks over the past year. Five Guys went food woke and won't make me a rare burger anymore. Even a couple of formerly good bars lost my business when they got rid of their grills and went to fry tops. They started getting thin, pre-made and sometimes pre-cooked burgers. Fuck that shit.

Taco places here only serve fish tacos on flour tortillas with mayo. Only one place has beef tacos on corn tortillas.

If I want a take-out sammich? Pastrami on deli rye at the Jewish deli.
That's become a real problem with almost all restaurants, no food is fully cooked on site anymore, it's all process cooked. Burgers with grill marks and that great smoky taste? The "smoke" is a seasoning and the grill marks are fake and the burger was heated on premise (and it seems like a really good burger). So many places heat food in plastic bags soaked in water (called sous vide, a fancy way of saying processed). Ever wonder why so many places switched to those "seasoned fries"? They are already cooked and just reheated.

I get it, restaurants offer a wide variety of food that needs to be timed to serve together while balancing also serving many people at once. Small "pub" establishments don't have the space for full kitchens or the ability to have ample staff and affordable prices (and don't want their patrons to stop buying beer while they dine somewhere else). It's a very competitive world out there, the problem is most customers don't realize and only a few probably would care.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to travel with stuff for very good sandwiches.
I can make a sandwich while driving but I try to avoid that.
I like to bring along Jerky and nuts.

If I'm traveling alone I buy price on a decent hotel, little nicer if wife is coming along.
I have learned to keep driving if nothing but fleabags in a certain location.

On very long drives, I like to plan my stops in advance and find Hotels.com very helpful.
I always read the reviews and have learned to filter out the Karens and whatever the male versions are.
I also filter out the complaints when the traveler is mad at the airlines and the taxis and what they ate on the trip.
You can be miserable anywhere!
The male version of "karen" has been around forever... Call him "Dick".

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Coca Cola runs it through an RO unit.

Your municipality does not.

Furthermore, it goes straight from Reverse Osmosis through a distance of stainless steel pipe measured in feet into the bottle.

I'm sure that your tap water runs through miles of decades or even centuries old wood, Orangeburg, Transite, cast iron, ductile iron, PVC and HDPE pipe. A century or two of sediment to build up.

Additionally...Chlorine...

HUGE Difference between city water and Dasani. Or Aquafina.

I have built Water Treatment Plants, no not all by myself, in Vermont, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky.

Here at Fort Campbell is the ONLY municipal water I will drink straight from the tap. I will drink water from the ground first.

A friend of mine that I worked with here for a number of years spent a few years working for a lab in Atlanta after he graduated college, and said they got midnight shipments of liquid "Stuff" that had to be tested for anything and everything bacterial, viral or parasitic.
It didn't have any labels or discerning markings in the shipping but it was Coke, Diet and Classic, Sprite, Barq's, Fresca etc.

Coke, and Pepsi, spend massive amounts of money having their products independently tested to make sure that, even if it's not good for you, it's clean. Most municipalities have a compliance with the law means don't report anything bad method of operation.
I lived in San Jose from 1976 to 1985.
I would not drink the tapwater there. Ever!
A friend said he is going to tell his father what I said. His father was a chemist for IBM.
His fater tested the water and the whole family quit drinking it.

Do you know that flour is allowed to have 2 rat turds per pound?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liberal speakers dominate commencements at top-ranked universities: Report
Heaven forbid that students be given a different point of view than what they've been fed for the previous 8 years. The shock will cause them to pause and for once in their young lives possibly think for themselves. One or two might actually continue to do it.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the mood for a burger and on the road. Are you more inclined to spend $20.00 on a joint like In N Out, Five Guys, Smashburger or $10.00 at Wendy's, Burger King, Mc Donalds?
I will do the fast casual burger LONG before I will do Burger King or McD's
I will probably find a Publix and get some fried Chicken before I will do BK or McD's.
Five Guy's is expensive, but it's good.
I haven't had the pleasure of a Whataburger, Smashburger or In-n-Out.
Going to Huntsville this weekend. There is a Wahlburgers there, which I will try.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm diabetic and have to watch my blood sugar. I drink Diet caffeine free coke or pepsi so my supplements are either peanut butter and cheese crackers or Hersey's nuggets.
Diet soda is one of the worst things you can put in your body.

Who invented NutraSweet? Monsanto. What does Monsanto make? Herbicides and Pesticides. Which one is NutraSweet? An herbicide or a pesticide?

Try electrolyte powder. With magnesium. Magnesium bicarbonate in order to be absorbed properly.
You will be surprised at how much better you feel. I was AMAZED.

This one comes in individual packets, small cans and big cans of various flavors.

Had a dietician recommend it. As most people know, water and salt travel in pairs, always drawn to each other. If you drink only water, you are flushing salts from your body, and not just sodium or potassium. Salts that are essential to proper bodily functions and not readily available in our depleted soils that grow our nations fruits, vegetables, grains and grazing fields.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am A Marriott and a Hilton point whore.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in San Jose from 1976 to 1985.
I would not drink the tapwater there. Ever!
A friend said he is going to tell his father what I said. His father was a chemist for IBM.
His fater tested the water and the whole family quit drinking it.

Do you know that flour is allowed to have 2 rat turds per pound?
Chemist? IBM? IBM makes computers and typewriters, they don't need chemists.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed Yesterday wife had minor in and out surgery.

So today's question: Seems abortion concerns are back in the American forefront do you tend to lean Pro Life or Pro Choice? Do you feel the Govt should have the ultimate say? How much do you feel religion plays in this and if it does how does it tie into the separation of church and state?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So today's question: Seems abortion concerns are back in the American forefront do you tend to lean Pro Life or Pro Choice? Do you feel the Govt should have the ultimate say? How much do you feel religion plays in this and if it does how does it tie into the separation of church and state?
Touchy...

I do not feel it should be illegal. But it should not be used as arbitrary birth control either.
Nor should it be so politicized.
While it is easy for some to get an abortion without a second thought, it is also easy for some to push a person in front of a train or shoot somebody that passed them on the highway.
It may also be the hardest thing a young girl ever does just to keep her father from beating her half to death on a semi daily basis because she got pregnant. The same father that has 7 kids with 4 women.

r*pe, ince$t, known deformities health and safety of the mother as well. All that.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heaven forbid that students be given a different point of view than what they've been fed for the previous 8 years. The shock will cause them to pause and for once in their young lives possibly think for themselves. One or two might actually continue to do it.
I am very conservative.
I didn't get it! I left college a liberal.
Life made me a conservative - one who understands how liberals think......

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abortion may possibly be the toughest question ever to face a person.

I'm quasi Pro-life. I believe if you fuck, then be an adult and understand that there could be consequences if you decide not to take any precautions.. Don't ask someone else to pay for your laziness or lack of considerations.

I understand that there circumstances where a pregnancy occurs due to involuntary submission if the female. I don't have the facts but my guess would be that those are less than 5%.

My other guess is that rejection of the life is due to it not being the gender that the parents want at about 40%.

Life is life whether it be a zygote, embryo, first, second oir third term fetus to baby.

My other question in this matter also causes people to get underwear stains. Why doesn't the father of the life have a voice? If he bails out because she's keeping the child, the state will garnish his paycheck for the next eighteen years if he doesn't cough up. Yet he has zero say about whether or not he wants to keep that package.

In 2022, under normal circumstances, women and men have multiple methods of birth control. Ignoring, refusing or just being too lazy to utilize them shouldn't be a caveat for destroying a life that was 99% avoidable.

My last point: Follow the money. At this time, an aborted fetus is worth its weight in silver. They don't get tossed in a plastic bag and shipped to a medical waste site. They are processed pharmaceutically for stem cells, genetic research and blood enhancement.

Abortion has zero to do with women's health. It's all about the money.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate abortion. Babies have as much rights as any other human.
I am a Christian, so of course that has an impact on how I think.
My 2nd wife had 2 abortions' as a young girl.
The pain she suffered whenever she looked at her 2 daughters and realized she had killed 2 others was a load she could not bear.
When she died, my oldest got pregnant. As you can imagine, she was very much against abortion.
She talked with her natural father, the one that had urged her mother to abort her 1st 2 pregnancies.
He told her to get an abortion, "Your mother and I would likely still be together if we had got an abortion instead of having you!

No the government should not have the final say. God has the final say.
God will forgive. When my wife was on her death bed. I witnessed a vision. After seeing this very profound vision,
I prayed that God would explain.
He showed me a vision of Jesus holding 2 children by the hand and saying to my wife, "This is what I have waiting for you!"
That is forgiveness!
How could I possibly be pro-abortion after my own experiences?