• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Odds Graham gets cut?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I've speculated on for a while now.

First let me preface these comments by saying that YES, in terms of pure natural ability/talent I believe Jimmy Graham to be the 2nd most gifted receiving TE in the NFL behind Rob Gronkowski - despite Graham's piss poor blocking ability.

That being said, Graham didn't have as bad of a year last year as people seemed to hint at. He was on pace for 880 yards before going down, which is great for a TE in an offense that threw the ball a mere 489 times. Graham had 889 yards in 2014 in a Saints offense that threw the ball 659 times.

But, Graham was not a difference maker and the Seahawks really didn't have any fuckin' clue how to use him. He lined up way too many times on passing downs and stayed in pass protection. This is Jimmy Graham, not Zach Miller. Jimmy Graham is an oversized WR playing TE, HE CAN'T BLOCK. If you want Graham on the field in a passing down, line him up wide or in the slot. If you're dead set on having a TE line up, put someone in there who can block. Please.

To get to my point, he is misused in Seattle. He is not the difference maker in Seattle that he was in New Orleans, our offense just is not built that way.

Now, why could he be cut? Well see above. He's a great player, not exactly the best fit for Seattle though. He also has a cap hit of $9m, the 4th highest on the team. How much would the Seahawks be on the hook for in penalties? $0. The Seahawks would save $9m if they cut him. Not to mention, he is coming off of a knee injury that has a reputation of being extremely difficult to recover from and the long-term prognosis for such an injury is very, very grim. Graham may come back to practice having lost his explosiveness, or at least some of it. When you're paying a guy $9m a year, and can get rid of him with zero penalty, that has to be tempting for the Seahawks. They have shown a willingness to move on from expensive players who cost them a lot to obtain.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First let me preface these comments by saying that YES, in terms of pure natural ability/talent I believe Jimmy Graham to be the 2nd most gifted receiving TE in the NFL behind Rob Gronkowski - despite Graham's piss poor blocking ability.

That being said, Graham didn't have as bad of a year last year as people seemed to hint at. He was on pace for 880 yards before going down, which is great for a TE in an offense that threw the ball a mere 489 times. Graham had 889 yards in 2014 in a Saints offense that threw the ball 659 times.

But, Graham was not a difference maker and the Seahawks really didn't have any fuckin' clue how to use him. He lined up way too many times on passing downs and stayed in pass protection. This is Jimmy Graham, not Zach Miller. Jimmy Graham is an oversized WR playing TE, HE CAN'T BLOCK. If you want Graham on the field in a passing down, line him up wide or in the slot. If you're dead set on having a TE line up, put someone in there who can block. Please.

To get to my point, he is misused in Seattle. He is not the difference maker in Seattle that he was in New Orleans, our offense just is not built that way.

Now, why could he be cut? Well see above. He's a great player, not exactly the best fit for Seattle though. He also has a cap hit of $9m, the 4th highest on the team. How much would the Seahawks be on the hook for in penalties? $0. The Seahawks would save $9m if they cut him. Not to mention, he is coming off of a knee injury that has a reputation of being extremely difficult to recover from and the long-term prognosis for such an injury is very, very grim. Graham may come back to practice having lost his explosiveness, or at least some of it. When you're paying a guy $9m a year, and can get rid of him with zero penalty, that has to be tempting for the Seahawks. They have shown a willingness to move on from expensive players who cost them a lot to obtain.

Good points made but i'll go with a 5% chance of JG being cut. I would have gone with zero but we all understand the nature of the game. My reasoning is because the FO gave up a good C and a first rounder to get him here and cutting him loose now only a year removed would be a little mind boggling know JG and RW were starting to get in sync before his injury.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't happen, even if he starts the season on IR.

When healthy, he's one of the top 3 TEs in the league. But his injury is as bad as a ACL, if not worse. Don't expect him back till 2nd half of the season, if at all.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't happen, even if he starts the season on IR.

When healthy, he's one of the top 3 TEs in the league. But his injury is as bad as a ACL, if not worse. Don't expect him back till 2nd half of the season, if at all.

Who do you have as the 2nd best? I always thought without a doubt when healthy the only TE in football better is Gronk

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bevell hasnt a clue how to use extremely talented players. First it was harvin now its graham.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like he'll be ready by week 1 and if not week 1 very early in the season according to this.

Seahawks' Jimmy Graham: Close to returning from knee injury

Just like Rawls, just because they get cleared off the PUP, doesn't mean they'll be playing in the preseason games or suiting up to play the game in week 1. It just means they can start practicing via NFL rules in drills with the team as part of their rehab, instead of watching from the sidelines and working out individually with coaches and trainers.

I'm telling you. Patella tears are vicious injuries for anyone, especially athletes. Graham still has a ways to go. Maybe I'm wrong, but just don't get your hopes up he'll be playing in Sept.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like Rawls, just because they get cleared off the PUP, doesn't mean they'll be playing in the preseason games or suiting up to play the game in week 1. It just means they can start practicing via NFL rules in drills with the team as part of their rehab, instead of watching from the sidelines and working out individually with coaches and trainers.

I'm telling you. Patella tears are vicious injuries for anyone, especially athletes. Graham still has a ways to go. Maybe I'm wrong, but just don't get your hopes up he'll be playing in Sept.
Yup that I injury is one that players haven't been able to recover from. I'm not expecting Graham to be ready when the season starts. Hope I'm wrong.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Percy Harvin didnt get cut and we were able to get a 4th for him then I dont see why we wouldnt yield something similar for JG. Im not an offensive coordinator but I would imagine what makes an offense great is its unpredictability. If you use JG only for passing downs or 90% of the passing plays then the defense will know we are passing whenever they see JG on the field so you would have to have him in there to block every once and a while. JG is a great player in terms of having hands to catch and jump for the ball he was after all a former basketball player. I really see this offense passing the ball this season I think he would have had more than 800 yards. We were really passing the ball very well the second half of the season

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great talent...mis-used as you said...my reason for thinking he might get cut.

That type of injury is an extremely hard one for a player that relies on his legs to recover from...I've heard some people familiar with this type injury say, he'll never be the same player again.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Completely agree. I don't know how many times I had to rewind a play last year just to make sure I was really seeing Graham pass blocking on third and long or being left one-on-one vs a DE on a running play. In that regard he was misused by Bevel and Carol. But he did make his fair share of big plays when he was utilized correctly. They did draft Vannett this year though and he's definitely more Zach Miller than Jimmy Graham.

Bevel seems to have turned the corner as a play caller so I would hope he's learned his lesson and that we will see Graham out there way more as just a receiver. As far as his injury goes, yeah he might not be back to full strength. But if he can be 80% of his former self he'll make a difference. Seattle can line up in some really threatening formations with Baldwin, Lockett, and Graham out there at the same time.

I don't believe he gets cut but, but I wouldn't put it past Carol to make that kind of a call if he thinks it's in the best interest of the team.

HustleWilson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a 50% chance Jimmy isn't on the team after this season and I'm currently wearing a Jimmy Graham seahawks jersey. Think it would be by trade though. But numbers don't lie, we were better on offense last year without Graham. Don't really know why that is, maybe Bevell kinda sucks, maybe Wilson feels too much pressure with more stars to distribute the ball to...not sure.

Combine all that with the fact that Jimmy may unfortunately never be the same after this pears patellar tendon injury. Receivers come to Seattle to die, it's just how it is. It sucks. I really really hope Graham can surprise everybody this year though and have a Saints like impact on the Hawks like we envisioned.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell hasnt a clue how to use extremely talented players. First it was harvin now its graham.
Not one OC got the best out of Harvin. It is ignorant to blame 1 OC as a failure at Percy.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is your misfortune that you can't see the young players Bevell has had a direct hand in improving and using their skill set.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one OC got the best out of Harvin. It is ignorant to blame 1 OC as a failure at Percy.

I do agree on that point. Don't blame anyone but Harvin for Harvin's failures. For all of his athletic talent, he is a basketcase and more than a bit of an asshole. I just wish that we would never have seen him in a Seahawks uniform at all.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree on that point. Don't blame anyone but Harvin for Harvin's failures. For all of his athletic talent, he is a basketcase and more than a bit of an asshole. I just wish that we would never have seen him in a Seahawks uniform at all.
Totally agree. A complete waste. I hope he goes bankrupt and loses his feeling of entitlement.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't the JG gets cut unless his health won't allow him to play. There is not much we can do with the cap savings anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't the JG gets cut unless his health won't allow him to play. There is not much we can do with the cap savings anyway.

Not much you can do with cap savings? Of course you can make use of cap space.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna happen. Best thing Seattle can hope for is he gets back on the field and him and Russell get more chemistry together and either a) he is a good receiving threat for us or b) we can trade him for picks or players.

Just cutting him would be an issue. Even Percy we at least got a pick back for and he was a complete headcase and disrupting other players on the team.

And sounds like Graham's recovery is going well... yes he may not be back to start the season but I expect him to at least be around like week 8 or something and hopefully for a playoff appearance.