• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NY tribe to challenge Redskins

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALBANY, N.Y. -- A tribe in upstate New York said Thursday it will launch a radio ad campaign pressing for the Washington Redskins to get rid of a nickname that is often criticized as offensive.
As the debate over the use of Native American imagery by sports teams continues, the discussion is particularly intense in our nation's capital, where there's a growing movement to change the local NFL team's name, writes Paul Lukas. Blog

The Oneida Indian Nation said the first ad will run on radio stations in Washington before the team hosts the Philadelphia Eagles in its season opener Monday night. In the ad, Oneida Nation Representative Ray Halbritter says NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should "stand up to bigotry" by denouncing "the racial slur" in the team's name.
"We do not deserve to be called redskins," the Oneida leader says in the ad. "We deserve to be treated as what we are -- Americans."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and if this doesn't work the "Americans" will do a rain dance and put a woogie spell on our season.

btw, somebody should tell them that THEY aren't being called Redskins. The football team here in the Washington area is.:scratch:

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut the cable going to their reservation.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALBANY, N.Y. -- A tribe in upstate New York said Thursday it will launch a radio ad campaign pressing for the Washington Redskins to get rid of a nickname that is often criticized as offensive.
As the debate over the use of Native American imagery by sports teams continues, the discussion is particularly intense in our nation's capital, where there's a growing movement to change the local NFL team's name, writes Paul Lukas. Blog

The Oneida Indian Nation said the first ad will run on radio stations in Washington before the team hosts the Philadelphia Eagles in its season opener Monday night. In the ad, Oneida Nation Representative Ray Halbritter says NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should "stand up to bigotry" by denouncing "the racial slur" in the team's name.
"We do not deserve to be called redskins," the Oneida leader says in the ad. "We deserve to be treated as what we are -- Americans."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and if this doesn't work the "Americans" will do a rain dance and put a woogie spell on our season.

btw, somebody should tell them that THEY aren't being called Redskins. The football team here in the Washington area is.:scratch:

So I'm going to just take the most forward approach and say if there was a team that was the Omaha N's (with N being the obvious and extremely racist word), that African Americans shouldn't be offended because "they aren't being called that, just the team"? :bullshit:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm going to just take the most forward approach and say if there was a team that was the Omaha N's (with N being the obvious and extremely racist word), that African Americans shouldn't be offended because "they aren't being called that, just the team"? :bullshit:

That would be accurate if the term "Redskins" was viewed as anywhere near as offensive as the "N" word which is not true. Let's do a little comparison. If I went into Native American land & wore Redskins gear & repeatedly used the word I doubt I would encounter much resistance (& probably would be welcomed by several people).

Now if somehow anyone did the same thing with some type of gear that contained the "N" word & repeatedly used the word in the wrong area - well - that person very likely might be killed.

Bad analogy & no doubt you would not have brought up the argument if you were not a Boys fan. That is my problem with this issue. If it is brought up by people with a sincere cause - great - I am willing to listen & consider certain things. However - it is generally brought up by three types of people 1.) Washington Redskins haters 2.) media types who want to run their mouths & 3.) others who either are looking for their 15 minutes of fame or are some getting a few extra $$ along the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are saying using the word black to identify a man is racist. I'm not getting any of it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how much they are being paid off by Liberal special interest groups to run this bogus campaign? And right before the week 1 opener? Classy.

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy Bob Sacamano once played for the Omaha N's and going to a couple of his games I can tell you that it wasn't a problem. The only one who ever complained was the coach who graduated from Norfolk University where he led protest against their school song.

"We don't drink and we don't swear, Norfuk Norfuk Norfuk"

So you can see he was just a trouble maker to begin with. Seriously, you yourself just said the N word that is extremely racist. The R word is far from that. btw, if a team was ever called the Omaha N's then the owner probably is a black man since it seems that Extremely offensive word is deemed OK and alright to use by more blacks than whites in this day and age, but that's another topic in itself.

The N word should be banned from all lips. The R word is far from that.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be accurate if the term "Redskins" was viewed as anywhere near as offensive as the "N" word which is not true. Let's do a little comparison. If I went into Native American land & wore Redskins gear & repeatedly used the word I doubt I would encounter much resistance (& probably would be welcomed by several people).

Now if somehow anyone did the same thing with some type of gear that contained the "N" word & repeatedly used the word in the wrong area - well - that person very likely might be killed.

Bad analogy & no doubt you would not have brought up the argument if you were not a Boys fan. That is my problem with this issue. If it is brought up by people with a sincere cause - great - I am willing to listen & consider certain things. However - it is generally brought up by three types of people 1.) Washington Redskins haters 2.) media types who want to run their mouths & 3.) others who either are looking for their 15 minutes of fame or are some getting a few extra $$ along the way.

It isn't a bad analogy. If a group considers term to be hateful towards them and can justify it, then the analogy is spot on. This has nothing to do with me being a Cowboy fan, unless you think that everyone who has sued the team or lobbied to have the name changed are Boys fans.

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't a bad analogy. If a group considers term to be hateful towards them and can justify it, then the analogy is spot on. This has nothing to do with me being a Cowboy fan, unless you think that everyone who has sued the team or lobbied to have the name changed are Boys fans.

No, just haters of a stoic franchise.

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK this crap is getting old , it's never going to stop, so maybe out of the consideration of pansie asses and tree huggers everywhere I think Snyder has to come up with a new name so as not to insult anyone on this earth, I don't want to change the symbol because it's NOT racists nor is the name but just so we don't have to hear these fucking idiots no more I think Warriors is a good name and we keep the Chief on the helmet or how about Braves? But maybe we'd be insulting every chickenshit out there with that one. Even use the spear on the side of the helmet some games.

Also we might want to make the chiefs face a little lighter in color so as not to offend, I know this is crazy but I'm tired of the crying and bitching, either way we'll always be REDSKIN FANS!

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous, I've always loved when we played how it pitted the Cowboys vs the Indians syblisim but it's gotten out of hand also maybe the NFL should take the hit on revenue lost if there is any, all teams would have to compensate the Redskins for any loss of revenue and expenses to do this, the league allowed the Redskins to exist so they must take partial blame including your beloved Cowboys.
You want a name change you pay too.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trouble is that poll after poll after poll appears to indicate that - by far - most Native Americans have no issue with the name. I guess the polls could always be considered inaccurate, but there is no basis to counter any of this. This lawsuits, protests, etc are almost always by relatively small groups who usually have some type of agenda.

OK - so if this has nothing to do with you being a Cowboys fan then why do you even care about this issue? I also stand by my stance - the comparison to the "N" word is weak.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope CNN airs the fight, it's will be like a real live western.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trouble is that poll after poll after poll appears to indicate that - by far - most Native Americans have no issue with the name. I guess the polls could always be considered inaccurate, but there is no basis to counter any of this. This lawsuits, protests, etc are almost always by relatively small groups who usually have some type of agenda.

OK - so if this has nothing to do with you being a Cowboys fan then why do you even care about this issue? I also stand by my stance - the comparison to the "N" word is weak.

Stand by your position all you want, it isn't me that is out there challenging the name. I'm simply putting it into context and saying that apratt's "we aren't calling them the name, just the team" was a dumbass comment.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every name out there could be offensive to someone. It'll never stop due to liberal groups pushing agendas on a daily basis. I'm shocked the male gay community hasn't come down on the Packers yet.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK this crap is getting old , it's never going to stop, so maybe out of the consideration of pansie asses and tree huggers everywhere I think Snyder has to come up with a new name so as not to insult anyone on this earth, I don't want to change the symbol because it's NOT racists nor is the name but just so we don't have to hear these fucking idiots no more I think Warriors is a good name and we keep the Chief on the helmet or how about Braves? But maybe we'd be insulting every chickenshit out there with that one. Even use the spear on the side of the helmet some games.

Also we might want to make the chiefs face a little lighter in color so as not to offend, I know this is crazy but I'm tired of the crying and bitching, either way we'll always be REDSKIN FANS!

Nope...that won't work. In the 70's SU was known as the Saltine Warriors and their mascot was an Indian similar to what the Redskins have now.

Article excerpt:

In a letter opposite the editorial, Onkwehonwenha, the Native American organization on campus, argued that the issue is a larger one. It calls attention. according to the statement, "to the total absence of services for native students at SU."

The group described the Warrior, who appeared in the form of a white fraternity member at football and basketball games since 1951, as a "painted, feathered, warcrazed, half-naked fool."

Demise of the Saltine Warrior

The people in our country will sue and win with the most stupid of points.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every name out there could be offensive to someone. It'll never stop due to liberal groups pushing agendas on a daily basis. I'm shocked the male gay community hasn't come down on the Packers yet.

Holy shit that's funny.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No kidding.
Political correctness is dangerous and is killing freedom of speech and expression

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stand by your position all you want, it isn't me that is out there challenging the name. I'm simply putting it into context and saying that apratt's "we aren't calling them the name, just the team" was a dumbass comment.

Yep - it isn't you. It is is a very small amt of people challenging the name led by the attention whores known as the media. Long gone are the days where the media actually reports the news in an accurate manner. They now want to create the news & predominately in a TMZ type format.

OK - you win & a-holes like Wilbon, Skip Bayless & Mike Florio & their uneducated mgmt will be the ones determining what is newsworthy.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding.
Political correctness is dangerous and is killing freedom of speech and expression

Yep & I have to believe that a lot of people who back something like this have ulterior motives. Example - the current local leadership in DC keeps stating that they won't take the team back until they change the "offensive name". No doubt - a very possible motive for that stance is that it takes attention away from any other areas where they are doing a poor job running that area. That is a very common political tactic - take attention away from the real issues that require actual effort.