• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never understand the hate for Shaw. Since he's had his recruits only(past 3 seasons) this is his resume:

Winning%: 76% 8th best P5 winning%
Finished in the top 5, top 15 and top 20.

Stanford has slipped to the 8th best P5 winning percentage with his recruits. Lmao.
He’s vanilla ice cream. Boring as shit, not flashy, but usually gets the job done.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to hear the argument for Petersen or Patterson above Dantonio. Also, Shaw has been decent, but he hasn't even been as good a coach as Harbaugh was at Stanford, and we all see how easy it's been for Harbaugh since joining the B1G East.

Oh the B1Gs biggest nutswinging fanboy showed up.

Dantonio can't even touch Petersen. Petersen built Boise (where he had bigger wins than Dantonio has had at MSU) and now already has Washington ahead of where MSU is. It's really not close.

You've already been crowned on your argument against Shaw. It's not like MSU was nothing before Dantonio showed up, and you're greatly overplaying how great Harbaugh was.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should feel ashamed of yourself blindly defending MSU and fucking Jim Harbaugh the way you are. Do you know your rivals, or does Wal-Mart not let you know when you buy your OSU shit?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s vanilla ice cream. Boring as shit, not flashy, but usually gets the job done.

No doubt it's boring. But when they have an elite O-line, like they should again next season, they'll be tough to beat. He's owned ND.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a mess, which has helped make it easy for him to take a program that was prebuilt and win games with them. What Harbaugh did was amazing. Shaw was handed the keys and told not to mess it up, which he was able to do with Harbaugh's kids but now it's slowly declining.

We will find out. Tough to know if Stanford's ascent wasn't due to finding a once in life time QB in a power vacuum or Harbaugh being a magician. Answer is usually somewhere in the middle. Harbaugh hasn't knocked me out with his job at Michigan so far. He was handed a top 5 defense and he has relied on it. The lack of offense, Jim's specialty, is concerning. This is year 4, so we are now entering the phase of his Michigan tenure where he has had total control of personnel and development

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dantonio can't even touch Petersen. Petersen built Boise (where he had bigger wins than Dantonio has had at MSU) and now already has Washington ahead of where MSU is. It's really not close.

You've already been crowned on your argument against Shaw. It's not like MSU was nothing before Dantonio showed up, and you're greatly overplaying how great Harbaugh was.
Ummm where do you think Michigan State was before Dantonio was there? How far back do you have to go until Michigan State was actually relevant? The 1960’s?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was all I needed to read before I realized anything you typed would be nothing but pure bullshit. Petersen had some nice days at Boise. They are a really good story about how a mid-major can occasionally play really good teams at a high level. He definitely deserves to be above Shaw. Dantonio has beaten Ohio State twice. Those alone are better than literally anything Petersen has ever done at any school. He's also got the Rose win over Shaw, who people think is somehow a better coach, as well as the Cotton Bowl win over Baylor who butthurt folks said deserved to be in the playoff over Ohio State.

I've been crowned on my argument against Shaw? As the victor? Thanks, I guess. MSU was nothing before Dantonio. Before Dantonio, MSU had two 10+ win seasons in well over a century of football. He has 6 in the last 8 years. What he's done is unbelievable. Sustaining that sort of success in any program is fantastic. Doing it in arguably the toughest division in college football while trying to attract kids to play in the middle of fucking nowhere is even more amazing.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will find out. Tough to know if Stanford's ascent wasn't due to finding a once in life time QB in a power vacuum or Harbaugh being a magician. Answer is usually somewhere in the middle. Harbaugh hasn't knocked me out with his job at Michigan so far. He was handed a top 5 defense and he has relied on it. The lack of offense, Jim's specialty, is concerning. This is year 4, so we are now entering the phase of his Michigan tenure where he has had total control of personnel and development
And to be fair, the michigan job is the first one he's had where he hasn't shown incredible progression. University of San Diego, Stanford, and with the 49ers. All 3 spots were much better by the time he left than when he got there. Fact is, he's now coaching in the toughest division in college football. You're 100% right about the offense though. He has to be able to get it together this season or that seat is going to be hot.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should feel ashamed of yourself blindly defending MSU and fucking Jim Harbaugh the way you are. Do you know your rivals, or does Wal-Mart not let you know when you buy your OSU shit?
You're a low-level troll. Stop acting like you deserve attention from me or anyone else.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never understand the hate for Shaw. Since he's had his recruits only(past 3 seasons) this is his resume:

Winning%: 76% 8th best P5 winning%
Finished in the top 5, top 15 and top 20.

Stanford has slipped to the 8th best P5 winning percentage with his recruits. Lmao.
5 loss seasons in two of his last 4 years, and next year doesn't look to be any better. Bryce Love might be the only thing that keeps them above .500.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 loss seasons in two of his last 4 years, and next year doesn't look to be any better. Bryce Love might be the only thing that keeps them above .500.

Dantonio has had four seasons with more than 5 loses including a 9 loss season just recently. Again, were talking about Stanford. No one is going there because Harbaugh coached there eight years ago and one time won more than ten games and had zero (zilch, nada, none) conference championships. It's not Duke basketball.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dantonio has had four seasons with more than 5 loses including a 9 loss season just recently. Again, were talking about Stanford. No one is going there because Harbaugh coached there eight years ago and one time won more than ten games and had zero (zilch, nada, none) conference championships. It's not Duke basketball.
And if Dantonio had taken MSU over from a guy who built it clear up and taught him how to coach and recruit and was starting to show signs of regression, I would say that's fair.

Dantonio built it up himself and has to deal with the pressure of playing in the toughest division in CFB while trying to get kids to not go to OSU, michigan, Notre Dame, or anywhere else in the nation and come play in the middle of a shitty, snowy state with not much to offer a college kid. I mean really, what is there to get a kid to want to play football at Michigan State? Location sucks, education ranking is decent at best, the facilities aren't outstanding, proximity to major metropolitan areas is shit, and the weather blows. Would you want to go there?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't know how you can knock him but have guys like Chryst and Riley in your top 10? Who have the same track record.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know how you can knock him but have guys like Chryst and Riley in your top 10? Who have the same track record.
We're talking about head coaches right now. Riley has 1 season and it wound up in a playoff birth with multiple ranked wins including a huge road win OOC against top 5 Ohio State. That win alone is FAR better than anything Shaw has.

Chryst took over a situation in Wisconsin that their fans will even tell you wasn't good. Andersen had a good record but the recruiting was horrible. Chryst is 34-7 in 3 years, and three of those losses in 2016 were against top 10 teams by 1 score. He's doing a phenomenal job, and he's also fighting a hell of a fight trying to recruit kids.

If you asked me who I'd want leading my team, I'm taking Chryst or Riley right now. I think Shaw is on his way down.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about head coaches right now. Riley has 1 season and it wound up in a playoff birth with multiple ranked wins including a huge road win OOC against top 5 Ohio State. That win alone is FAR better than anything Shaw has.

Chryst took over a situation in Wisconsin that their fans will even tell you wasn't good. Andersen had a good record but the recruiting was horrible. Chryst is 34-7 in 3 years, and three of those losses in 2016 were against top 10 teams by 1 score. He's doing a phenomenal job, and he's also fighting a hell of a fight trying to recruit kids.

If you asked me who I'd want leading my team, I'm taking Chryst or Riley right now. I think Shaw is on his way down.

This post makes no sense. Shaw would have made the playoff in year 1 with Stanford had there been one.

And Wisconsin has been a top 15 program a decade and a half prior to Chryst getting there. Wisconsin has NEVER recruited well, so that's a fucking lame ass excuse. You're holding Shaw to a different standard, for some reason.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine:

1. Nick Saban- Pretty obvious IMO
2. Urban Meyer- Also pretty obvious
3. Dabo Swinney- Has a NC, and has turned a non blue blood into a powerhouse
4. Jimbo Fisher- Say what you will, but he's one of only 4 coaches with a natty
5. Chris Petersen- Track record speaks for itself
6. Mark Dantonio- Does more with less than anyone
7. James Franklin- Wasn't the best situation he walked into, but has brought Penn State back
8. Kirby Smart- I'm biased, but he took UGA to a title game in year 2 and is killing it in recruiting
9. Paul Chryst- 13 win season at Wisconsin.
10. Gary Patterson- What he's done at TCU is amazing

HM- Scott Frost(gotta wait and see what he does at a big job), Dan Mullen(I think he'll crack my list by the end of next season, but you never can tell when the spot light and real expectations are on you), Bill Snyder(KSU is nothing without him, but he's getting old), Mark Richt(programs will always be relevant, but will never be real title contenders), Mike Gundy(He has Oklahoma State relevant most every year, that gets him an HM, but you have to beat your biggest rival every now and then), Pat Fitzgerald(Done a great job at Northwestern, but I'd like to see what he could do with a bigger job), Lincoln Riley(playoffs in year one, but walked into a great situation, jury is still out), Jim Harbaugh(stock dropped big time after last season and current recruiting class), Gus Malzahn(Not a big fan, but he has took Auburn to a NCG)

Solid list. Might be able to change a few here and there, but overall there aren't any huge arguments I have against it.

I may switch Petersen and Fisher, but that's merely due to my own personal bias.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would give you that impression? If anything, they're starting to regress under him the further they get from the Harbaugh years.

Ummm, Harbaugh has been gone for a long time and they are still doing better or as good as they ever did in the Harbaugh years.

He's long left Harbaugh's shadow.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was all I needed to read before I realized anything you typed would be nothing but pure bullshit. .

Then go bitch and whine to everyone else that rated Peterson above Diantonio. I wasn't the only one.

Again, the bonerfest over this guy is palpable. No one even said he wasn't a good coach. Why you crying?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post makes no sense. Shaw would have made the playoff in year 1 with Stanford had there been one.

And Wisconsin has been a top 15 program a decade and a half prior to Chryst getting there. Wisconsin has NEVER recruited well, so that's a fucking lame ass excuse. You're holding Shaw to a different standard, for some reason.
Yes, Shaw would've been in year 1. He also finished top 10 in year 2. Both with a team full of Harbaugh's recruits. Since then, they've had one other season in the top 10 sandwiched by two 5-loss seasons. Next season doesn't look like it's going to be much better given their lack of a true playmaker at QB.

I'm not talking about recruiting rankings, I'm talking about bringing in guys that don't fit Chryst's offense. Each year Chryst has been there, they've gotten better - from 10-3, to 11-3 (all 3 losses vs top 10 teams by 1 score), to 13-1. Right now, I'm taking him over Shaw. This wasn't about "which coach has the best resume since year X", it's about who the top 10 coaches are right now. Shaw is showing signs of regression while Chryst just gets better each year.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, Harbaugh has been gone for a long time and they are still doing better or as good as they ever did in the Harbaugh years.

He's long left Harbaugh's shadow.
For two years after Harbaugh left when he still had all Harbaugh recruits, he had a top 10 team.

Then, after Harbaugh's recruits left, he's got two unranked, 5-loss seasons and only one top 10 team.

Maybe he'll bounce back this year, but he's regressed for 2 years straight.