• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban
Dabo
Meyer
Peterson
Jimbo
David Shaw
Gary Patterson
Mike Gundy
Bill Snyder
David Cutcliffe

I'd then put Franklin and mark Richt all there around Dantonio. I think you could make cases for them as well. Gus Malzhan has a Natty.

So yeah, he's good. Maybe 11-14ish. Top 5 is on crack.
What has Gundy or Cutcliffe done to be in the top ten?
Gundy has won one conference title with two more years.
Cutcliffe is barely above .500 as a head coach, won two division titles, no conference titles, and is also 6-4 in bowl games with no BCS level wins or even appearances.
Gus Malzahn does not have a Natty as a head coach and is 1-4 in bowl games.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gus Malzhan has a Natty.
giphy.gif

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Gundy or Cutcliffe done to be in the top ten?
Gundy has won one conference title with two more years.
Cutcliffe is barely above .500 as a head coach, won two division titles, no conference titles, and is also 6-4 in bowl games with no BCS level wins or even appearances.
Gus Malzahn does not have a Natty as a head coach and is 1-4 in bowl games.
Malzahn was just thrown in there to show 1 BCS win or 1 playoff appearance doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

If the argument for Dantonio is about how it's hard to win at MSU, you can't discount what Cut has done at Duke. And yes, I legitimately think Cut is a better coach.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malzahn was just thrown in there to show 1 BCS win or 1 playoff appearance doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

If the argument for Dantonio is about how it's hard to win at MSU, you can't discount what Cut has done at Duke. And yes, I legitimately think Cut is a better coach.
You are the one who brought up BCS level wins, not me. So if you don’t like that qualification maybe you don’t bring it up. The difference between Cut and Dantonio is Dantonio has actually won his conference multiple times while Cut has 6 losing seasons out of 10 at Duke. If bad recruiting and one 3-9 season should exclude Dantonio from any talks, I don’t see how you can make any argument that Cut should be in the top 30 coaches. If you prefer Cutcliffe over Dantonio, that’s your prerogative, but I don’t think you are going to find many that would agree with that.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the one who brought up BCS level wins, not me. So if you don’t like that qualification maybe you don’t bring it up. The difference between Cut and Dantonio is Dantonio has actually won his conference multiple times while Cut has 6 losing seasons out of 10 at Duke. If bad recruiting and one 3-9 season should exclude Dantonio from any talks, I don’t see how you can make any argument that Cut should be in the top 30 coaches. If you prefer Cutcliffe over Dantonio, that’s your prerogative, but I don’t think you are going to find many that would agree with that.

I don't care honestly - you guys got buthurt and said I was 'talking shit' when I said Dantonio isn't a top 5 head coach. If you're going to put Dantonio above a guy like Shaw, Petersen, or Patterson, I'd expect to have more than 1 BCS win.

If you want to dissect my 10th rated coach, go for it. I think if they switched positions, Cut would have just as much or more success at MSU.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care honestly - you guys got buthurt and said I was 'talking shit' when I said Dantonio isn't a top 5 head coach. If you're going to put Dantonio above a guy like Shaw, Petersen, or Patterson, I'd expect to have more than 1 BCS win.

If you want to dissect my 10th rated coach, go for it. I think if they switched positions, Cut would have just as much or more success at MSU.
You were talking shit when you made up a bullshit sexual assault charge that he covered up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. You're reaching now. Just as hard to get kids to East Lansing as it it to Stanford? Not in a million years is that true.Other than a cpl kids from Georgia a kid from Cali and a kid from Vegas the entire recruiting class for Michigan State was from Michigan or Ohio. In other words they don't have to go far and they can get most in.
Stanford has a small class of 14 recruits this year but only 3 are from California. You think there's no football players in Cali for Stanford to fill it's roster with or maybe they just can't take the majority of them just because they want them?
I never said they can't get bodies. It's more difficult to attract the high end talent, though. MSU has been one of the top teams in the nation this decade, yet you never see them landing any big name recruits. Why? It's too difficult. Stanford has been routinely bringing in 5* kids for a decade now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also got a 3-9 year at MSU also. I didn't say he was a bad coach, but to me you need to win more than 1 BCS-caliber bowl and be a fairly accomplished recruiter to be considered a top 5 head coach, like some of the guys have rated him. A .656 win % and being 6-4 in bowls throughout his career isn't exactly massive, either.
He does have more than 1 BCS-caliber bowl win. He won the Rose Bowl and then in 2014 beat the Baylor team in the Cotton Bowl that some people were saying belonged in the playoff. This decade, he has 10+ wins in 6 of 8 years. Before this decade, Michigan State had 2 seasons of 10+ wins. Imagine if he wasn't having to try and recruit kids to frickin East Lansing. He's a top 5 coach.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd love to hear the argument for Petersen or Patterson above Dantonio. Also, Shaw has been decent, but he hasn't even been as good a coach as Harbaugh was at Stanford, and we all see how easy it's been for Harbaugh since joining the B1G East.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to hear the argument for Petersen or Patterson above Dantonio. Also, Shaw has been decent, but he hasn't even been as good a coach as Harbaugh was at Stanford, and we all see how easy it's been for Harbaugh since joining the B1G East.

Harbaugh was 29-21 at Stanford with one 10 win or more season and no conference championships

Shaw is 73-22 with five 10 win or more seasons with three conference championships

Harbaugh is 28-11 at Michigan

So both of your points are wrong. Shaw has done better at Stanford and it's not even debatable and it's been much easier for Harbaugh at Michigan than at Stanford.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh was 29-21 at Stanford with one 10 win or more season and no conference championships

Shaw is 73-22 with five 10 win or more seasons with three conference championships

So both of your points are wrong. Shaw has done better at Stanford and it's not even debatable and it's been much easier for Harbaugh at Michigan than at Stanford.
Well Harbaugh was dealing with one of the worst P5 programs and Shaw started with a prebuilt solid program. So they weren’t starting at the same or even remotely similar spots.

While when he started at Michigan he had two top 10 recruiting classes as upperclassmen so he wasn’t starting with bare bones. So you are very short sighted on your views on both points.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You lack context and substance. Harbaugh made Shaw and Stanford what it is. No wonder his overall record was shit, he took over a team that was perennially in the gutter and made them into a national power. All Shaw has had to do it take what Harbaugh taught him and execute, and he's falling off. Two 5 loss seasons in his last 4, but when he got to play with Harbaugh's kids, he killed it for 3 years.

No, it's not easier for Harbaugh at michigan. In 4 years at Stanford, he took them from a bottom-dweller coming off a 1-11 season in 2006 to a 12-1 team in 4 years while improving each and every year, most years by several wins. In 3 years at michigan, he's gone from 10 wins in year 1 to 8 wins in year 3 while not showing improvement. It's a LOT tougher to win in the B1G East than in the Pac12 (either division) right now.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lack context and substance. Harbaugh made Shaw and Stanford what it is. No wonder his overall record was shit, he took over a team that was perennially in the gutter and made them into a national power. All Shaw has had to do it take what Harbaugh taught him and execute, and he's falling off. Two 5 loss seasons in his last 4, but when he got to play with Harbaugh's kids, he killed it for 3 years.

No, it's not easier for Harbaugh at michigan. In 4 years at Stanford, he took them from a bottom-dweller coming off a 1-11 season in 2006 to a 12-1 team in 4 years while improving each and every year, most years by several wins. In 3 years at michigan, he's gone from 10 wins in year 1 to 8 wins in year 3 while not showing improvement. It's a LOT tougher to win in the B1G East than in the Pac12 (either division) right now.

LOL. Harbaugh had ONE ten or more win season and one bowl win at Stanford. A national power? Shaw is 31-10 with three bowl wins since every single Harbaugh player left

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Harbaugh was dealing with one of the worst P5 programs and Shaw started with a prebuilt solid program. So they weren’t starting at the same or even remotely similar spots.

While when he started at Michigan he had two top 10 recruiting classes as upperclassmen so he wasn’t starting with bare bones. So you are very short sighted on your views on both points.

It wasnt a pre built program at Stanford. They had established and identity. That is true. But one ten or more win season isn't a solid program I don't even know if thats a foundation. Shaw has taken that philosophy and kept it going and made it work for seven years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Harbaugh had ONE ten or more win season and one bowl win at Stanford. A national power? Shaw is 31-10 with three bowl wins since every single Harbaugh player left
Again, Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team. Shaw took over a 12-1 team. People who know football know the enormous differences in these situations. Do you honestly think if Harbaugh had stayed he would've inexplicably gone backwards, and that only Shaw could save them? That's retarded.

Shaw is 31-10 with a program another man built. Shaw took over Harbaugh's team with Harbaugh's recruits and started with back-to-back top 10 seasons. In the 5 years since then, it's only happened once. He's not a great coach. He learned from Harbaugh but simply isn't as good at executing. He's benefitted from Oregon completely falling off the map while USC is still working it's way back to being elite. An elite Washington beat the shit out of them in 2016 and Stanford beat them this past year when Washington took a step back. Otherwise, he hasn't had any real contenders in the Pac12.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Harbaugh took over a 1-11 team. Shaw took over a 12-1 team. People who know football know the enormous differences in these situations. Do you honestly think if Harbaugh had stayed he would've inexplicably gone backwards, and that only Shaw could save them? That's retarded.

Shaw is 31-10 with a program another man built. Shaw took over Harbaugh's team with Harbaugh's recruits and started with back-to-back top 10 seasons. In the 5 years since then, it's only happened once. He's not a great coach. He learned from Harbaugh but simply isn't as good at executing. He's benefitted from Oregon completely falling off the map while USC is still working it's way back to being elite. An elite Washington beat the shit out of them in 2016 and Stanford beat them this past year when Washington took a step back. Otherwise, he hasn't had any real contenders in the Pac12.

Harbaugh had one ten win or more season. Quit acting like he left a dynasty.
Shaw had them at #3 in the country five seasons after Harbaugh left.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasnt a pre built program at Stanford. They had established and identity. That is true. But one ten or more win season isn't a solid program I don't even know if thats a foundation. Shaw has taken that philosophy and kept it going and made it work for seven years.
LOL Shaw took over a program that had just finished 4th in the nation with the shelves stocked with talent from 3 straight top 25 classes. Yes, it was a pre-built program. Comparing him to Dantonio? Let's compare:

Stanford won 20 games in the 2 years prior to Shaw taking over and had 3 straight top 25 recruiting classes.

Michigan State won 9 games in the 2 years prior to Dantonio taking over and hadn't even been above .500 in 4 years with 3 recruiting classes averaging 44th in the nation.

It's not even close. You're so far off on your understanding of these two coaching situations it's comical.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh had one ten win or more season. Quit acting like he left a dynasty.
So what??? They were a 1-11 team 4 years earlier. He turned them into a top 5 team. You repeating this doesn't help your point at all. Shaw was given years of tutelage under Harbaugh and then handed a top-end program. Dantonio took over a dumpster fire at MSU.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@socaljim242
I’ll admit I missed Shaw on my list and probably put him at 5, just above Dantonio, due to consistency, and move everyone down one.