• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine:

1. Nick Saban- Pretty obvious IMO
2. Urban Meyer- Also pretty obvious
3. Dabo Swinney- Has a NC, and has turned a non blue blood into a powerhouse
4. Jimbo Fisher- Say what you will, but he's one of only 5 coaches with a natty
5. Chris Petersen- Track record speaks for itself
6. Mark Dantonio- Does more with less than anyone
7. James Franklin- Wasn't the best situation he walked into, but has brought Penn State back
8. Kirby Smart- I'm biased, but he took UGA to a title game in year 2 and is killing it in recruiting
9. Paul Chryst- 13 win season at Wisconsin.
10. Gary Patterson- What he's done at TCU is amazing

HM- Scott Frost(gotta wait and see what he does at a big job), also one of only 5 coaches with a Natty.

Fixed it for you

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fixed it for you

That was sort of funny about a month and a half ago, and then started getting more sad and pathetic with each passing use of the "joke."

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scott frost Wiki page lists a national championship in 2017 as an accomplishment and honor.
Scott Frost - Wikipedia

and its claims are founded in other schools doing it the same way.
UCF’s title claim officially as valid as some P5 title claims

Nope, the author of that article is wrong. It claims that BCS computer is a selector, but it's not and hasn't been for 10 years.

Futhermore, in the past 5 years the NCAA has changed which national championships it recognizes, they are much more strict than they use to be.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess if UCF's championship is legit, Alabama is up to 18 instead of 17. As Alabama was awarded the #1 spot in CM in 2016, even though it lost to Clemson in the playoffs.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say that's fair, at least not Dantonio. I'd argue recruiting kids to East Lansing is every bit as difficult as bringing kids to Stanford for different reasons. Stanford was built up by Harbaugh into a program that was pulling top 25 recruiting classes on a regular basis. Hell they had back-to-back top 10 classes just a few years ago. Fact is, while it's not easy finding kids that can get in to Stanford, if they're actually smart enough to, more often than not they will. They can pull kids from all over the country due to their academics. Not only that but you're right on the Pacific Ocean in a beautiful, temperate area just south of one of the largest cities in the nation. What's the draw for Dantonio to get kids to go to EL? It's in the middle of a freezing cold state 90 miles away from the largest metropolitan area, and that area is Detroit. There's a reason they only won 10 games twice in their entire history before 2010.

I'd also argue that Harbaugh is showing just how much harder it is to win in the B1G East than in the Pac 12. There's no reason to believe Shaw would be doing any better than Harbaugh right now if he took over at michigan, for example.

LOL. You're reaching now. Just as hard to get kids to East Lansing as it it to Stanford? Not in a million years is that true.Other than a cpl kids from Georgia a kid from Cali and a kid from Vegas the entire recruiting class for Michigan State was from Michigan or Ohio. In other words they don't have to go far and they can get most in.
Stanford has a small class of 14 recruits this year but only 3 are from California. You think there's no football players in Cali for Stanford to fill it's roster with or maybe they just can't take the majority of them just because they want them?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. You're reaching now. Just as hard to get kids to East Lansing as it it to Stanford? Not in a million years is that true.Other than a cpl kids from Georgia a kid from Cali and a kid from Vegas the entire recruiting class for Michigan State was from Michigan or Ohio. In other words they don't have to go far and they can get most in.
Stanford has a small class of 14 recruits this year but only 3 are from California. You think there's no football players in Cali for Stanford to fill it's roster with or maybe they just can't take the majority of them just because they want them?
I’m thinking he is trying to say that it is easier for Stanford to recruit nationally because of the name Stanford and the locations being in California rather than trying to convince southerners to come to one of the most overcast cities in the world.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with the Dantonio bonerfest going on here. The argument of 'he does well without recruiting' is fine, but recruiting is part of the job. MSU seems like a nice story, but is never that good. Some of you guys have him as a top 5 coach? :wtf:

Oh and the fact that he was complicit in covering up sexual assaults.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with the Dantonio bonerfest going on here. The argument of 'he does well without recruiting' is fine, but recruiting is part of the job. MSU seems like a nice story, but is never that good. Some of you guys have him as a top 5 coach? :wtf:

Oh and the fact that he was complicit in covering up sexual assaults.
Please do explain how he was “complicit” in covering up sexual assaults? Like which ones?

He had 3 straight seasons finishing where he finished 3rd, 5th, then 6th. He has as more Big Ten titles than Ohio State since 2010. What exactly does he have to do to be “that good”?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m thinking he is trying to say that it is easier for Stanford to recruit nationally because of the name Stanford and the locations being in California rather than trying to convince southerners to come to one of the most overcast cities in the world.

I agree the name Stanford is one parents really like. Finding a middle linebacker or a Defensive end who can play with the USCs the Ohio States and can get into Stanford is the hard part. Stanford usually cleans up on O linemen and TEs. They must be the most studious of the football players. lol.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the name Stanford is one parents really like. Finding a middle linebacker or a Defensive end who can play with the USCs the Ohio States and can get into Stanford is the hard part. Stanford usually cleans up on O linemen and TEs. They must be the most studious of the football players. lol.
I definitely agree that Stanford has a harder to time trying to find the players that they can qualify for enrollment in the school. But when they do, it’s freaking Stanford. If I had a kid that could go to Michigan State or Stanford, I would be pushing him to Stanford. The chances of making the NFL are minuscule so if you can get a great degree a parent would be crazy not to urge their child to set themselves up for the best future.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please do explain how he was “complicit” in covering up sexual assaults? Like which ones?

He had 3 straight seasons finishing where he finished 3rd, 5th, then 6th. He has as more Big Ten titles than Ohio State since 2010. What exactly does he have to do to be “that good”?

He's also got a 3-9 year at MSU also. I didn't say he was a bad coach, but to me you need to win more than 1 BCS-caliber bowl and be a fairly accomplished recruiter to be considered a top 5 head coach, like some of the guys have rated him. A .656 win % and being 6-4 in bowls throughout his career isn't exactly massive, either.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also got a 3-9 year at MSU also. I didn't say he was a bad coach, but to me you need to win more than 1 BCS-caliber bowl and be a fairly accomplished recruiter to be considered a top 5 head coach, like some of the guys have rated him. A .656 win % and being 6-4 in bowls throughout his career isn't exactly massive, either.
He has a Rose Bowl win and a Cotton Bowl win and has made the playoffs. He also had to turn around a shitty program that had to steal linemen from MAC schools before him so he didn’t exactly have an ideal starting position like some of the coaches on most people’s lists. Most have him in the 5-7 range which is about right. He has 8 wins against top 7 teams (at the time rankings) since 2013 and only two of those games were in East Lansing. As I said before, recruiting is his big knock and I just don’t know if it’s because of him or the university.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a Rose Bowl win and a Cotton Bowl win and has made the playoffs. He also had to turn around a shitty program that had to steal linemen from MAC schools before him so he didn’t exactly have an ideal starting position like some of the coaches on most people’s lists. Most have him in the 5-7 range which is about right. He has 8 wins against top 7 teams (at the time rankings) since 2013 and only two of those games were in East Lansing. As I said before, recruiting is his big knock and I just don’t know if it’s because of him or the university.

Sounds like the resume of a decent, but not great coach.

I'll stand by my assessment. 5-7 is too generous.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the resume of a decent, but not great coach.

I'll stand by my assessment. 5-7 is too generous.
Then put up your list of ten better coaches. It’s easy to talk shit but it’s actually quite difficult to actually come up with a list.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was sort of funny about a month and a half ago, and then started getting more sad and pathetic with each passing use of the "joke."

Wait for one of the bama supporters to get wind of this and it will be funny again.

Ohh wait,that was quick.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then put up your list of ten better coaches. It’s easy to talk shit but it’s actually quite difficult to actually come up with a list.

Me saying your coach doesn't have a Top 5 coach resume, or is 'good, not great' isn't 'talking shit.'

Grow up.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me saying your coach doesn't have a Top 5 coach resume, or is 'good, not great' isn't 'talking shit.'

Grow up.
I am saying this in a very sincere and politest way I possibly can...

Please post your list of top ten coaches.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am saying this in a very sincere and politest way I possibly can...

Please post your list of top ten coaches.

Saban
Dabo
Meyer
Peterson
Jimbo
David Shaw
Gary Patterson
Mike Gundy
Bill Snyder
David Cutcliffe

I'd then put Franklin and mark Richt all there around Dantonio. I think you could make cases for them as well. Gus Malzhan has a Natty.

So yeah, he's good. Maybe 11-14ish. Top 5 is on crack.