• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then go bitch and whine to everyone else that rated Peterson above Diantonio. I wasn't the only one.

Again, the bonerfest over this guy is palpable. No one even said he wasn't a good coach. Why you crying?
There's a difference between ranking Petersen over Dantonio and saying something as ignorant as "Dantonio can't even touch Petersen." What Dantonio has done at Michigan State is remarkable. Petersen did a great job at Boise, no doubt, but saying Dantonio "Can't even touch" him is just retarded.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Shaw would've been in year 1. He also finished top 10 in year 2. Both with a team full of Harbaugh's recruits. Since then, they've had one other season in the top 10 sandwiched by two 5-loss seasons. Next season doesn't look like it's going to be much better given their lack of a true playmaker at QB.

I'm not talking about recruiting rankings, I'm talking about bringing in guys that don't fit Chryst's offense. Each year Chryst has been there, they've gotten better - from 10-3, to 11-3 (all 3 losses vs top 10 teams by 1 score), to 13-1. Right now, I'm taking him over Shaw. This wasn't about "which coach has the best resume since year X", it's about who the top 10 coaches are right now. Shaw is showing signs of regression while Chryst just gets better each year.

He's also at fucking Stanford. Lol. Even taking away the 4 seasons with Harbaugh's recruits he's won 76% of his games at a program that has only won 58% of their games historically. He's regressed to having a top 8 P5 winning percentage with his recruits. Do you know how dumb that sounds? Lmao.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also at fucking Stanford. Lol. Even taking away the 4 seasons with Harbaugh's recruits he's won 76% of his games at a program that has only won 58% of their games historically. He's regressed to having a top 8 P5 winning percentage with his recruits. Do you know how dumb that sounds? Lmao.
3 seasons with any large amount of Harbaugh's recruits. By 2014, Harbaugh's kids made up what, maybe 20% of the roster? And they were the only bright spots on that 2014 team that went 8-5.

This whole "He's at Stanford" thing is bullshit. Did you know he got three 5* kids in 2017 alone? If a kid is intelligent and really cares about academics, all Shaw has to do is offer. He pulled in 5* kids from Washington, Texas, and Georgia. He never had a problem being able to get several top 100 overall kids to qualify nearly every year, and he gets to just say "Stanford education" and they're in. Oh yeah, he's also located just down the street from San Francisco, a mecca for intelligent young college grads on the West Coast.

He's pulled in more 5* kids by a longshot than Dantonio ever has simply because he has the Stanford education backing him up. What's Dantonio got to offer to bring in 5* kids from across the country? Yet, he's still competing on a national level nearly every year, and he's doing it in a tougher conference.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dantonio is 13-12 his last two seasons
Shaw is 19-8 his last two seasons

But Shaw has regressed.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 seasons with any large amount of Harbaugh's recruits. By 2014, Harbaugh's kids made up what, maybe 20% of the roster? And they were the only bright spots on that 2014 team that went 8-5.

This whole "He's at Stanford" thing is bullshit. Did you know he got three 5* kids in 2017 alone? If a kid is intelligent and really cares about academics, all Shaw has to do is offer. He pulled in 5* kids from Washington, Texas, and Georgia. He never had a problem being able to get several top 100 overall kids to qualify nearly every year, and he gets to just say "Stanford education" and they're in. Oh yeah, he's also located just down the street from San Francisco, a mecca for intelligent young college grads on the West Coast.

He's pulled in more 5* kids by a longshot than Dantonio ever has simply because he has the Stanford education backing him up. What's Dantonio got to offer to bring in 5* kids from across the country? Yet, he's still competing on a national level nearly every year, and he's doing it in a tougher conference.

The fact that he got 5* football players to go to Stanford is amazing. You act like it's a given. It's Stanford. Kids don't grow up thinking about playing football at Stanford even in Cali. Why do you think he's got to go all over to find a kid here and a kid there. Just because everyone would love their kid to go to Harvard doesn't mean it's easy to get into Harvard. Same goes with Stanford. Yes parents would love a Stanford education but go to a power house football high school find some kids whos put in the time the work and have amazing skills and find out how many of them would qualify to get into Stanford.
And I hate you for having me have to defend Shaw and Stanford.lol.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he got 5* football players to go to Stanford is amazing. You act like it's a given. It's Stanford. Kids don't grow up thinking about playing football at Stanford. Just because everyone would love their kid to go to Harvard doesn't mean it's easy to get into Harvard. Same goes with Stanford. Yes parents would love a Stanford education but go to a power house football high school find some kids whos put in the time the work and have amazing skills and find out how many of them would qualify to get into Stanford.
That was weird - it showed me having posted it twice and then the one I saved just disappeared...

Anyhow, it's not that big a deal anymore it would seem. He's bringing in 4-5* kids with ease most years now. Whether kids think of playing at Stanford growing up is irrelevant, because once they're in HS they know it's a real possibility. Thanks to Harbaugh, these kids know Stanford to be a good football school because he turned them completely around from what they were a decade ago.

I'd love to see Shaw coach somewhere where he doesn't have the Stanford Academics ace up his sleeve. Dantonio has done an unbelievable job at a school where really nobody else has had great success. 6 of the the school's 8 double digit win seasons are under Dantonio. That's simply unreal.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then go bitch and whine to everyone else that rated Peterson above Diantonio. I wasn't the only one.

Again, the bonerfest over this guy is palpable. No one even said he wasn't a good coach. Why you crying?
Do me a favor - tell me who Petersen has beaten since he's been at Washington. It's been 4 years now. His best OOC win is fucking Southern Miss in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. He's 1-3 in bowl games and do you know the best team he's beaten OOC during the regular season? Rutgers. That's right, fucking Rutgers.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do me a favor - tell me who Petersen has beaten since he's been at Washington. It's been 4 years now. His best OOC win is fucking Southern Miss in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. He's 1-3 in bowl games and do you know the best team he's beaten OOC during the regular season? Rutgers. That's right, fucking Rutgers.

Little Petersen?lol

images

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 6-7 Illinois is probably his best regular season OOC win

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no clue what your first paragraph is trying to say. The fact is he won 76% of his games with strictly his recruits and players. At a program that only wins 58% of their games.

And thanks for proving my point bringing up his recruiting success. Pretty impressive, considering he's doing it at a school that could probably care less about the success of the football program.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no clue what your first paragraph is trying to say. The fact is he won 76% of his games with strictly his recruits and players. At a program that only wins 58% of their games.

And thanks for proving my point bringing up his recruiting success. Pretty impressive, considering he's doing it at a school that could probably care less about the success of the football program.
I'm saying that 2014 team that went 8-5 was overwhelmingly Shaw's recruits. The only reason they won 8 games was because of the few remaining Harbaugh recruits, so Shaw should be thankful for them, because otherwise he did an awful job that year. It's not a coincidence that the two previous years were much better when it was still at least half Harbaugh's kids.

Stanford could probably care less? Is that why he's the highest paid coach in the Pac 12 at just under $6 mil a year? Swing and a miss, eric.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats another thing.lol. I've been to Stanford on a game day. You wouldn't even know theres a game that day except for the USC fans walking around. They really don't care all that much.
Why do they pay their coach that much? (A) have you seen what it costs to live there? (B) If Shaw left what good coach would want the headache of the academics when it comes to recruiting. They know they have someone special in Shaw. He could get an NFL job quick if he said he's interested.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that 2014 team that went 8-5 was overwhelmingly Shaw's recruits. The only reason they won 8 games was because of the few remaining Harbaugh recruits, so Shaw should be thankful for them, because otherwise he did an awful job that year. It's not a coincidence that the two previous years were much better when it was still at least half Harbaugh's kids.

Stanford could probably care less? Is that why he's the highest paid coach in the Pac 12 at just under $6 mil a year? Swing and a miss, eric.

Yeah and the one that finished ranked 3rd in 2015 was ALL his recruits and players. And then he had a top 15 team the following season, with ALL his recruits and players. Hell even as bad as you think last year was they still finished in the top 20.

And have you seen a Stanford home game? Good on the administration for knowing what they have in Shaw. The fans for the most part don't .

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and the one that finished ranked 3rd in 2015 was ALL his recruits and players. And then he had a top 15 team the following season, with ALL his recruits and players. Hell even as bad as you think last year was they still finished in the top 20.

And have you seen a Stanford home game? Good on the administration for knowing what they have in Shaw. The fans for the most part don't .
Yes, that 2015 team was all his. That's the only top 10 team he's had all by himself. Harbaugh handed him a top 5 team stocked with developed talent. 2011/2012, Shaw's first 2 years, were top 10 teams. 2013 was 11th. Then, in 2014 when the team was finally over half Shaw's kids, they dropped to 8-5. They rebounded in 2015 and have regressed for two straight years. I guess if you want to pump up a 5-loss team last season that finished with 1 ranked win, be my guest. It wasn't a good team. Bryce Love coming back might be the only thing keeping them above .500 in 2018. The rest of the offense is very uninspiring, and even their normally solid defense took a HUGE step back last year. If he regresses this year for a 3rd season in a row, are you going to sit there and tell me he's still a top 5 coach?

Who gives a shit about the fans. You said STANFORD could care less. I pointed out that you're flat out wrong. They're not the first top 25 team to have shit attendance.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats another thing.lol. I've been to Stanford on a game day. You wouldn't even know theres a game that day except for the USC fans walking around. They really don't care all that much.
Why do they pay their coach that much? (A) have you seen what it costs to live there? (B) If Shaw left what good coach would want the headache of the academics when it comes to recruiting. They know they have someone special in Shaw. He could get an NFL job quick if he said he's interested.
Makes no difference. According to eric, Stanford could care less if they have a good football program.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never once said Shaw is a bad coach. I'm saying he's not a great coach. He's not done as good a job as Dantonio has done at MSU.

Clearly the whole "Stanford academics" doesn't keep them from getting high-end kids anymore. In the last 5 years, he's brought in 6 kids rated 5* and tons of other 4* prospects. Why? Because Harbaugh built the program up for him, and so not only was he handed a program ready to excel, but he has the best academics in the P5 by a large margin. The college is right on the Pacific Ocean, right down the road from San Francisco, which is a HUGE draw for young kids who care about academics.

Meanwhile Dantonio built up Michigan State BY HIMSELF. They were a middle of the road team, at best. They had no real history of winning (again - two 10+ win seasons ever before him). They had 26 wins in the 5 years before he got there. He had 9 wins by year 2, and 11 wins by year 4. They are routinely a top 15 team, and field one of the top defenses in the nation almost every year. Nothing was built for him, and he really has nothing to offer recruits other than himself.

Overall - What Shaw has done simply isn't as impressive.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For two years after Harbaugh left when he still had all Harbaugh recruits, he had a top 10 team.

Then, after Harbaugh's recruits left, he's got two unranked, 5-loss seasons and only one top 10 team.

Maybe he'll bounce back this year, but he's regressed for 2 years straight.

Hmmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with USC being down at the same time.

:think:

Yeah, I think so.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with USC being down at the same time.

:think:

Yeah, I think so.
Yeah, this sort of proves my point. Shaw has done a good job at beating teams like USC when they're down. In 2013 and 2014, USC was a 4-loss team and still beat Stanford both years. The only "good" USC team he's beat was in 2016, and that was when Max Browne was still their QB and they sucked ass to start the year. Luckily for Stanford, they got to face them in September and not November when they had turned things around.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this sort of proves my point. Shaw has done a good job at beating teams like USC when they're down. In 2013 and 2014, USC was a 4-loss team and still beat Stanford both years. The only "good" USC team he's beat was in 2016, and that was when Max Browne was still their QB and they sucked ass to start the year. Luckily for Stanford, they got to face them in September and not November when they had turned things around.

And yet Harbaugh was never able to win the Pac12 despite even better circumstances.