• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now that all are in place, who are your top 10 coaches?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the 2015 season is supposed to be this amazing job that everyone is supposed to be in awe of? That's what makes him a better coach in 2018?

Here's a fun fact: Riley had more ranked wins in 2017 than Shaw had from 2015-2017 (yes, including that magical 2015 season that is so amazingly awesome and makes Shaw so amazing).

Here's another fun fact: Riley had four top 15 wins in 2017. Shaw has never had more than 2 in any season he's coached.

So yeah, Riley's 2017 was more impressive than anything Shaw has done.

Riley hasn't won a single game with a team he recruited. He's never even had a practice with a team with a single player he recruited. But yeah, he's done more than a coach who took Stanford to #3 with his own players. Freakin Stanford.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Stanford fan, so I'm pretty familiar with their records and such. Harbaugh had Luck, a USC that was down and an Oregon team that couldn't stop a power run team if their life depended on it.

I mean you go on and on and give Harbaugh all the credit, and yet did you know Shaw was the OC the entire time? Do you think maybe he had a little bit of a hand in things? Especially since Harbaugh can't seem to do shit without him as OC?
And since when has Shaw beaten some amazing titan USC squad? They beat the 2011 team (with all of Harbaugh's recruits) that was 10-2. That's it. 2016 USC was absolutely awful when they faced Stanford when Max Browne was still starting. You also discount the fact that Oregon has been shit for 3 years, and who else has there been to worry about? Washington was elite in 2016 and beat the fuck out of Stanford. They took a step back in 2017 and Stanford was able to beat them at home. Seriously, what great team in the Pac 12 recently has Shaw actually beaten?

I did know Shaw was the OC the entire time. He's an offensive mind yet he hasn't been able to develop a QB worth a shit since he's taken over. Without Love last year, that's a .500 team or worse. They're entirely one-dimensional. That's with having these guys in the QB room:
4*/#51 overall recruit Keller Chryst
4*/#47 overall recruit KJ Costello
4*/#171 overall recruit Ryan Burns
5*/#15 overall recruit Davis Mills

All that talent and their passing game was shit.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, Shaw went 12-2 which may seem like it's worse than 12-1, except for the fact that Shaw won the Pac12 Championship that year as well as the Rose Bowl. Shaw's season was better.
Not really. In 2010, Oregon was playing in the National Title Game. That's the only reason Stanford didn't win the conference.

In 2015? Oregon was 9-4. The Pac 12 South Champ? 8-6 USC. But ohh you're right, that's so insanely impressive.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley hasn't won a single game with a team he recruited. He's never even had a practice with a team with a single player he recruited. But yeah, he's done more than a coach who took Stanford to #3 with his own players. Freakin Stanford.
That #3 ranking was a gift. No way they deserved to be ranked there, but the media has a boner for Stanford, just like this year when they finished 20th.

Riley's 2017 year was more impressive than any season I've seen from Shaw. If Shaw turns it around this year and has Stanford in contention, I'll reconsider.

Bottom line here: what he's done is not as impressive as what Dantonio has done, which is why he doesn't deserve to be ranked nearly as high as Dantonio.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. In 2010, Oregon was playing in the National Title Game. That's the only reason Stanford didn't win the conference.

In 2015? Oregon was 9-4. The Pac 12 South Champ? 8-6 USC. But ohh you're right, that's so insanely impressive.

I was talking about 2012, but I can see where you might get confused since Shaw has multiple conference championships while Harbaugh has 0.

That year Oregon was #1 when they lost to Stanford(and it was @ Oregon), and USC was #2 when they lost to Stanford - but USC was obviously over ranked as it was only the 3rd game of the year.

PS: Did you forget to switch to your trustme alt before getting into this discussion?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And since when has Shaw beaten some amazing titan USC squad? They beat the 2011 team (with all of Harbaugh's recruits) that was 10-2. That's it. 2016 USC was absolutely awful when they faced Stanford when Max Browne was still starting. You also discount the fact that Oregon has been shit for 3 years, and who else has there been to worry about? Washington was elite in 2016 and beat the fuck out of Stanford. They took a step back in 2017 and Stanford was able to beat them at home. Seriously, what great team in the Pac 12 recently has Shaw actually beaten?

I did know Shaw was the OC the entire time. He's an offensive mind yet he hasn't been able to develop a QB worth a shit since he's taken over. Without Love last year, that's a .500 team or worse. They're entirely one-dimensional. That's with having these guys in the QB room:

Stanford beat five ranked teams in 2015 (USC twice) including the #4 and #5 teams in the country . That was Shaws team, his recruits, his players. Riley hasn't even had a season of even the freshman class being his and you give Harbaugh the credit for Shaws success. LOL

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"With all Harbaugh's recruits"

This argument only works when new coaches come into the program, not when it's the former OC who actively recruited and helped build that team.

And when you say things like "without Love last year" it makes me wonder if you even know Stanford football at all. Running the ball is what Stanford does. It would have been another RB mentioned either way, just look at the recent history of Stanford RB's.

Shaw has shown he can get it done without Harbaugh, meanwhile Harbaugh still has not won a single championship in anything college football related. It's been 7 years since Harbaugh was at Stanford and people still want to give him credit. It's dumb.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about 2012, but I can see where you might get confused since Shaw has multiple conference championships while Harbaugh has 0.

That year Oregon was #1 when they lost to Stanford(and it was @ Oregon), and USC was #2 when they lost to Stanford - but USC was obviously over ranked as it was only the 3rd game of the year.

PS: Did you forget to switch to your trustme alt before getting into this discussion?
Yeah it must be nice to be handed a silver platter like Shaw was and not have to put any energy into building it up from nothing like Harbaugh did. That 2012 team was a nice reminder of the stocked shelf Harbaugh left him.

The Oregon win was impressive. Harbaugh's kids played amazing. USC was a 7-6 team that year, not sure why you even brought them up.

I've always had no problem giving credit to Harbaugh for his past accomplishments. He deserves it. What he did at Stanford is otherworldly. I just hope Shaw doesn't let it keep slipping.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford beat five ranked teams in 2015 (USC twice) including the #4 and #5 teams in the country . That was Shaws team, his recruits, his players. Riley hasn't even had a season of even the freshman class being his and you give Harbaugh the credit for Shaws success. LOL
Funny, I don't recall Stanford beating Ohio State and Oklahoma that year. When did they play? Because those were the #4 and #5 teams in the nation in 2015.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it must be nice to be handed a silver platter like Shaw was and not have to put any energy into building it up from nothing like Harbaugh did. That 2012 team was a nice reminder of the stocked shelf Harbaugh left him.

The Oregon win was impressive. Harbaugh's kids played amazing. USC was a 7-6 team that year, not sure why you even brought them up.

I've always had no problem giving credit to Harbaugh for his past accomplishments. He deserves it. What he did at Stanford is otherworldly. I just hope Shaw doesn't let it keep slipping.

"Harbaugh's kids"

You're such a dipshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shaw was there at Stanford from day 1 and helped build it.

Fucking Michigan fans are the worse.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"With all Harbaugh's recruits"

This argument only works when new coaches come into the program, not when it's the former OC who actively recruited and helped build that team.

And when you say things like "without Love last year" it makes me wonder if you even know Stanford football at all. Running the ball is what Stanford does. It would have been another RB mentioned either way, just look at the recent history of Stanford RB's.

Shaw has shown he can get it done without Harbaugh, meanwhile Harbaugh still has not won a single championship in anything college football related. It's been 7 years since Harbaugh was at Stanford and people still want to give him credit. It's dumb.
Really? Because Harbaugh brought Luck in as a 4* and he left Stanford considered a generational talent. There were 3 QBs on Stanford's roster in 2017 alone that were higher ranked recruits than Luck, and they didn't do dick.

I know Stanford runs the ball. They also normally don't have to rely on it as basically their entire offense. Did you not see the game Love missed vs. 1-11 Oregon State, the worst P5 defense in the entire nation by a wide margin? 222 total yards, 15 points in a last second come from behind win. Their offense was a JOKE without Love.

It's not dumb at all. Shaw was handed the keys to a team fresh off of their best record since 1940. There was a culture and a foundation there. Harbaugh had built everything up, all Shaw had to do was just keep it up. He did a great job when it was mostly Harbaugh's recruits still playing there. From 2011-2013, Stanford was the 5th best team in regards to record. From 2014-2017, though, they've started to slip back to 13th with two 5-loss seasons out of 4. Unless he turns things around next year, I don't see how you can say he's an elite coach at this point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw was there at Stanford from day 1 and helped build it.

Fucking Michigan fans are the worse.
He was an assistant to Harbaugh, so he assisted. He clearly wasn't the architect. Given the fact that Harbaugh did this same thing at USD and then in the NFL with San Francisco, I'd say it's more him.

Problem now is he's not playing in a butter soft conference without any consistent contenders anymore.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Because Harbaugh brought Luck in as a 4* and he left Stanford considered a generational talent. There were 3 QBs on Stanford's roster in 2017 alone that were higher ranked recruits than Luck, and they didn't do dick.

I know Stanford runs the ball. They also normally don't have to rely on it as basically their entire offense. Did you not see the game Love missed vs. 1-11 Oregon State, the worst P5 defense in the entire nation by a wide margin? 222 total yards, 15 points in a last second come from behind win. Their offense was a JOKE without Love.

It's not dumb at all. Shaw was handed the keys to a team fresh off of their best record since 1940. There was a culture and a foundation there. Harbaugh had built everything up, all Shaw had to do was just keep it up. He did a great job when it was mostly Harbaugh's recruits still playing there. From 2011-2013, Stanford was the 5th best team in regards to record. From 2014-2017, though, they've started to slip back to 13th with two 5-loss seasons out of 4. Unless he turns things around next year, I don't see how you can say he's an elite coach at this point.

LOL. There so much crap you just threw against the wall it hilarious. You tell us after one season how good of a coach Riley is and yet you write (Shaw) "was handed the keys to a team fresh off of their best record since 1940". "There was a culture and a foundation there" . Shaw was handed the keys to Stanford who had its first ten win or more season in 20 years. Riley took over Oklahoma who just finished #3 in the country and all it's history.
"From 2014-2017, though, they've started to slip back" Yeah, expect in 2015 when they finished #3 in the country. For Stanford that's not slipping back. That entails being ahead of that at some point. Go find me the years Harbaugh had Stanford at #3 in the country.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was an assistant to Harbaugh, so he assisted. He clearly wasn't the architect. Given the fact that Harbaugh did this same thing at USD and then in the NFL with San Francisco, I'd say it's more him.

Problem now is he's not playing in a butter soft conference without any consistent contenders anymore.

Yeah , why don't you list us all the conference championships Harbaugh has won. Clearly he must have more than Shaw since Shaws only coached one team in one of the conferences Harbaugh has.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, claiming Shaw was handed the keys to something is just a level of ignorance I'm not going to waste my time on anymore. He was there from day 1 and obviously had enough of a hand in it that Stanford hired him after Harbaurgh was gone.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. There so much crap you just threw against the wall it hilarious. You tell us after one season how good of a coach Riley is and yet you write (Shaw) "was handed the keys to a team fresh off of their best record since 1940". "There was a culture and a foundation there" . Shaw was handed the keys to Stanford who had its first ten win or more season in 20 years. Riley took over Oklahoma who just finished #3 in the country and all it's history.
"From 2014-2017, though, they've started to slip back" Yeah, expect in 2015 when they finished #3 in the country. For Stanford that's not slipping back. That entails being ahead of that at some point. Go find me the years Harbaugh had Stanford at #3 in the country.
Dude, I've never once said Riley didn't inherit a stacked squad. He took them over and promptly dispatched of a top 5 OSU on the road to start the year. That was enormous going up against the 2nd best coach in the nation in a major primetime game. If he keeps this up, he's way ahead of Shaw.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah , why don't you list us all the conference championships Harbaugh has won. Clearly he must have more than Shaw since Shaws only coached one team in one of the conferences Harbaugh has.
Congrats to Shaw for winning titles at a program Harbaugh built up and then left for a better opportunity. Pretty arbitrary metric to bring up considering the much more impressive accomplishments Harbaugh had there as a HC, especially since the Pac 12 is now the weakest P5 conference.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, claiming Shaw was handed the keys to something is just a level of ignorance I'm not going to waste my time on anymore. He was there from day 1 and obviously had enough of a hand in it that Stanford hired him after Harbaurgh was gone.
Except it's not ignorant. It's 100% the truth. Harbaugh had 3 stops in a row where he took a shit team and made them elite. That's not a coincidence. You seriously think Shaw was gonna go in there in 2007 and take over a 1-11 team and turn them into a 12-1 top 5 team 4 years later? Now THAT'S ignorance.

Piss off already, though.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except it's not ignorant. It's 100% the truth. Harbaugh had 3 stops in a row where he took a shit team and made them elite. That's not a coincidence. You seriously think Shaw was gonna go in there in 2007 and take over a 1-11 team and turn them into a 12-1 top 5 team 4 years later? Now THAT'S ignorance.

Piss off already, though.

Shaw was with him at San Diego as OC as well.

As for the 49'rs, speaking of walking into built teams...