• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Now I want to know what all of the GM's here would do first!

If you were building a team from scratch, what do you do first.

• 1. Get that QB

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 2. Build the O & D lines

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a chicken or egg question? Perhaps, but curious minds want to know. You're rebuilding from scratch, what comes first, the QB or guys to protect him when you eventually get him?

On the one hand you can get your QB but risk destroying him because you have no line to protect him and no way to discover if he is "THAT" guy. On the other, You just HAVE to have "THAT guy! What do you do?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on the quality of the QB prospect, but I would take the QB because it is easier to find a great one higher in the draft.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it comes down to value . Does a Sewell provide better value then a Lawrence or Fields ?

Or does a Jones , Lance , or Wilson offer better value then a Sewell ?

Maybe it’s a poll question within a poll question ?
Skinsdad the word in innovation !

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, the WTF’s should take a stud olineman in the first and one of their two third round picks.

with time and better oline play, they could make real use of gibson and touchdown terry.

secound rounder should be a wr or a lb that can stop the fucking run.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on the quality of the QB prospect, but I would take the QB because it is easier to find a great one higher in the draft.
I wonder if this is truly true? You follow the numbers way more than I do...is this still true? I realize that is what many say...and I’ve never looked at the numbers. Is there more success in Round 1? Or say R1-4? So could you go with a QB R3-4 and get better value if your team is positioned to be able to develop properly?

I’m of the opinion I’d like to see us draft a guy R2-4 and use AS, Kyle or a bridge guy that is not cost prohibitive while they grow and develop...hopefully quickly, lol. And I realize that is optimistic as hell, lol

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very true. Here is the history.

Now, I know you will point to names like Brady and Wilson. In Brady’s draft, only Pennington was drafted in round 1 and he was a good QB. There were 11 QBs taken after him. Brady and Marc Bulger were the only ones to make noise.

2012 was an anomaly. The first round saw four QBs taken. The first two had their careers derailed with injury. The third is unheralded but wins, when healthy. The guys after round 1 include Wilson, Cousins, and Foles; however, these rounds also include 4 more QBs who sucked or never got a chance to prove they suck.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing arm chair GM time I would say before you do anything you must hire a good respected head coach that will set the tone for the team. As you can see from the Jets whom wasted Sam Darnolds career and veterans are doing whatever they can to get out of there how important it is to have the head person know what they are doing.

People say get your franchise QB which is ideal if the opportunity is there but if you are drafting and neither Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields are there its better to not reach and pick the best player there whether its Jamarr Chase or Penei Sewell then sign a veteran QB and build your locker room and try and find the opportunity down the road for a younger QB. I thinks its better to go about it that way than reaching on a QB and using 2 years time to realize he is a bust.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is very true. Here is the history.

Now, I know you will point to names like Brady and Wilson. In Brady’s draft, only Pennington was drafted in round 1 and he was a good QB. There were 11 QBs taken after him. Brady and Marc Bulger were the only ones to make noise.

2012 was an anomaly. The first round saw four QBs taken. The first two had their careers derailed with injury. The third is unheralded but wins, when healthy. The guys after round 1 include Wilson, Cousins, and Foles; however, these rounds also include 4 more QBs who sucked or never got a chance to prove they suck.
Thanks GK! Appreciate the data.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing arm chair GM time I would say before you do anything you must hire a good respected head coach that will set the tone for the team. As you can see from the Jets whom wasted Sam Darnolds career and veterans are doing whatever they can to get out of there how important it is to have the head person know what they are doing.

People say get your franchise QB which is ideal if the opportunity is there but if you are drafting and neither Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields are there its better to not reach and pick the best player there whether its Jamarr Chase or Penei Sewell then sign a veteran QB and build your locker room and try and find the opportunity down the road for a younger QB. I thinks its better to go about it that way than reaching on a QB and using 2 years time to realize he is a bust.
Other than getting a legit GM first, im in this camp of belief.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would like to see smith get the job at GM . his body of work in the draft and acquiring talent with a limited budget last year . he hit on about 50% of the FA's and trades .

misses . KPL , he is a stopgap , he didnt get much at wr with the fa from the giants whose name slips my mind and inman . i think davis was a bust but remember they did cost much

i think he hit on JD , thomas , lucas and schwietzer , again all low cost guys

i will give him a push for allen

i think his draft record is good , and he does find good UDRFA's like both sims , wright and danny johnson

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this is truly true? You follow the numbers way more than I do...is this still true? I realize that is what many say...and I’ve never looked at the numbers. Is there more success in Round 1? Or say R1-4? So could you go with a QB R3-4 and get better value if your team is positioned to be able to develop properly?

I’m of the opinion I’d like to see us draft a guy R2-4 and use AS, Kyle or a bridge guy that is not cost prohibitive while they grow and develop...hopefully quickly, lol. And I realize that is optimistic as hell, lol
There are more 1st round picks than later round picks but there are guys like Brady, Brees, Wilson, Cousins and Tannehill and I may be forgetting one or two who are still playing and have done well. They are all current starters.

There is a who crap load of No. 1s that were busts too.

The WTF have drafted in the past 20 some years the following 1st round QBs
Heath Shuler
Patrick Ramsey
Jason Campbell
Robert Griffin
Dwayne Haskins

I'll let you decide which ones have worked out.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone loves the skill positions, but as a collective they don't say a thing about the team's identity. A dominating offensive line does and so does a dominant defensive front seven. Too many people are focused on that elite QB and I understand that because the prevailing climate that insists upon having that next level guy in order to be a consistent winner. After some thought, I ask the question... is that true, even in the face of all of the changes to the game?

I say no and as exhibition #1 I present the Tennessee Titans 2019 - 2020 versions. This team after an impressive albeit disappointing playoff appearance one year ago, stand at a division tying second place 6-3 current record with Ryan Tannehill at QB. Their secret? They knock the hell out of people with their front and run the ball daring opponents to stop them. Tannehill isn't elite, just efficient when called upon. If I'm building a team with intent to become a perennial playoff participant, I start and finish on the offensive and defensive fronts.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This guy deserves another look. Wish Washington would have hired him.

Fired by Jets, Bucs’ Todd Bowles deserves to be a head ...

"Todd Bowles Is Really One Of The Great Coaches In The ...

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than getting a legit GM first, im in this camp of belief.
This ^^^^^^ Biggest problem with the Skins is we have a bumbling idiot for a GM that can n will override everything n everyone whenever the unction hits him. Hire a HC and a GM or a GM and a HC, and than establish both their roles. My personal opinion is that your GM has to have an eye for talent whereas your HC has to have the goods to coach/use that talent. And since he's the one who's in the trenches so to speak with that talent. He needs to make it known to the GM what type of team he wants to establish and type of talent he believes would work best to achieving that goal.

Far as Sty's question. Given my preference, I'd love to build an OL first if I could. Though I think my Skins fandom figures significantly into that. Due to the Hogs being the biggest constant during the Gibbs/Beathard era. And while I agree with @Sportster 72 that the NFL world of woulda, coulda, shoulda is littered with 1st rd can't miss QBs who missed terribly. @gkekoa is on point as well with your best opportunity to get a stud QB coming in the high picks of the 1st rd. And there have been some can't miss types drafted in the 1st that hit the bullseye from jump-street. And if the opportunity comes along where you're in position to acquire one. You need to not hesitate. pull the trigger and get him while the gettin is good.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robinson and Dak....sure.

Ngakue...hell no. Just no. Hello no.
I don’t get the infatuation with Dak especially after that injury and the money he’s going to want. This team has nowhere near the weapons and Oline that made Dak good.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get the infatuation with Dak especially after that injury and the money he’s going to want. This team has nowhere near the weapons and Oline that made Dak good.

He may want a huge payday, but he won’t get one. We need his rights.

He looked just fine with that busted ass OL he had before the injury.

As for the problem with upgrading the OL before you get a QB, a good OL will prevent you from getting the higher talent QBs.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qb

But you have to have something on the OL