• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Norv Falls On Own Sword.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The living example of the Peter Principle has resigned in Minny.

How quickly things change.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to expand on that...a bit cryptic for me.

How many times has he attempted being a head coach and failed miserably at it?

Seems he should have just stuck at OC, kind of like Wade Phillips at DC.

And earlier this year Norv was being hailed as the tonic for the beleaguered Minny troops.

And now, he is gone.....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And earlier this year Norv was being hailed as the tonic for the beleaguered Minny troops.

And now, he is gone.....

Ok...got a grasp now.

I've read the reports and his and Zimmer's comments...still kind of hard to wrap my head around him leaving midseason on a team that is a contender. His son is staying on as QB coach, so I'm starting to rule out major friction between him and Zimmer.

The OC now (Schurmur) was on the staff as a position coach but he was Bradford's OC in STL...maybe too many cooks in the kitchen, idk.

This article sheds some light...maybe he just didn't think he was the right guy for the job with the people they have available now.

Here's why the Minnesota Vikings offense will be better without Norv Turner

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And now, he is gone.....

He wasn't the Head Coach in this situation though. He was the OC.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't the Head Coach in this situation though. He was the OC.

I realize and I think I said as much? Maybe not in so many words but the "earlier in the year" comment was meant to allude to that.

He was getting praise for his work early till they shit the bed....

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to expand on that...a bit cryptic for me.

"Peter Principle" essentially means "Rise to the level of your incompetence."

Norv was pretty good as the Cowboys' OC back in the 90's but he hasn't done much of note since then, either as HC or OC. He DID take the Chargers to an AFC title game a while back, though. Fair to say, he has not had nearly the same level of talent as those early 90's Dallas teams.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohhh Norv, Norv, Norv! How I'll miss your pock-marked face!

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norv was nothing but class while in Dallas I wish him the best :suds:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norv was nothing but class while in Dallas I wish him the best :suds:

Both him and Wannestadt bit off more than they could comfortably chew after Jimmy J. Dave W knew when to quit but not Norv. He kept trying the HC thing.

Seemed he'd found his slot this year under Zimmer, but then not....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This explains Norv Turner’s shocking Vikings exit | New York Post

This explains Norv Turner’s shocking Vikings exit
By Justin Terranova

November 4, 2016 | 11:18am

Modal Trigger
Norv Turner (left) and Mike ZimmerPhoto: AP
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he was “very, very surprised” by offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s resignation this week. Zimmer is perhaps the only one that shouldn’t have been.

Turner and Zimmer both vaguely hinted at a rift over the offensive gameplan that was confirmed by MMQB.com.

“To be honest, there were just different opinions on what we need to do, and where the focus is,” Turner told the website. “I have a lot of respect for Zim, he’s a heck of a coach. It just wasn’t going to work.”

The Vikings are coming off back-to-back demoralizing losses against the Eagles and Bears, in which the running game was non-existent and quarterback Sam Bradford was under constant duress. The offensive line has been decimated by injuries, and the divide on how to deal with that seems to be the heart of the issue.

“Since Norv has been here, I’ve given him almost 100 percent, total free will in everything that they’ve done offensively,” Zimmer, who comes from a defensive background, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“I’ll come in and make suggestions, but there really has never been a time I have demanded anything.”

PointAfter | Graphiq
The Vikings offense is ahead only of the 49ers in total offense, and without Adrian Peterson are running for a paltry 71.9 yards per game. The defense anchored them to a 5-0 start, but they have fallen behind the past two weeks, forcing Bradford to win games. We know how that movie ends.

“It’s the hardest decision based on a number of circumstances that I’m not going to go into,” Turner told the Star Tribune. “A tough day. Tough day. But I got the utmost respect for Mike. I think he’s as good a coach as I’ve been around. But it just got to the point where I didn’t think it was going to work with me. So I removed myself.”

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost their starting QB. Lost their starting RB and back up RB. Several injuries on a pretty meh line.

And the offense wasn't that good to begin with. I don't think the problem is Turner.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Norv, but he refused to adjust his system. He loves the vertical passing attack, 7 step drops with precision downfield passing. But Bridgewater isn't Brees, Bradford isn't Aikman and this DEFINITELY isn't the 90s Cowboys O-Line.

We have lost a QB, a declining but still effective RB and 3 starting offensive lineman. This is a badly crippled offense.

However, the immobility of the QB and the terrible shape that the OL is why Norv needed to make adjustments, (shorter dropbacks, quick passes, etc.) Norv was either unwilling or unable to get out from his old ways.

Originally I thought it was rats jumping off a sinking ship until I heard what Zimmer said. If Norv was bailing like a coward, Zimmer would have lit him up and called him a "gutless bastard" or a "prick" like he did with Petrino.

I genuinely think that the guy is burnt out (all the injuries on the offense couldn't help) and Zimmer and he made a mutual decision to end it.