• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Free Agent Signings/Moves

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another missed opportunity for the M's.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
·
1h

Free-agent left-hander Jordan Montgomery in agreement with Diamondbacks, pending physical. Deal will pay him $25M this season, includes vesting player option for second year. First with agreement:

Heyman:
Montgomery can opt out of 2025 if he makes 10 starts in 2024. The 2025 salary vests at $20M with those 10 starts in 2024 and boosts to $22.5M with 18 starts and $25M with 23 starts. 2024 salary is $25M

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polanco is good if he can stay on the field. Same as Haniger. Same as Garver. Sometimes youth is better for nothing else than availability. If a guy like Gorman can hit, you find a position for him.

And nobody said Polanco or Gorman. If you could have pulled off a Woo plus non-Top 5 prospect for him, I would take the gamble. If not him, then one of their other young bats. Expand the mind. Dipoto should prove to you that trading for past performance might not be the best move. Sometimes you have to trade for future/present bat as long as you do your homework on him...and no I don't trust Dipoto to hit on any bat.

As fans of our own team we always overrated our own players. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Seahawk fan in that if we were to trade DK Metcalf we should get 2 first round picks. If all it took was Woo and a non top 5 prospect to get Gorman that trade would have happened a long time ago. The cardinals are not trading a guy they drafted in the top 15 of the 1st round for Woo who we drafted in the 6th round who is 2 years older than Gorman. Maybe Logan Gilbert and a non top 5 would probably be the conversation.

Idk what is the big deal about trading for Polanco we literally only gave up a projected platoon outfielder and some no names. Garver we only signed to a 2 year deal both are low expense transactions.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
·
20m
BREAKING: Catcher Will Smith and the Los Angeles Dodgers are finalizing a 10-year, $140 million contract extension, sources tell ESPN.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As fans of our own team we always overrated our own players. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Seahawk fan in that if we were to trade DK Metcalf we should get 2 first round picks. If all it took was Woo and a non top 5 prospect to get Gorman that trade would have happened a long time ago. The cardinals are not trading a guy they drafted in the top 15 of the 1st round for Woo who we drafted in the 6th round who is 2 years older than Gorman. Maybe Logan Gilbert and a non top 5 would probably be the conversation.

Idk what is the big deal about trading for Polanco we literally only gave up a projected platoon outfielder and some no names. Garver we only signed to a 2 year deal both are low expense transactions.
But I thought you said he was a strike out machine so why should we trade for him? Either he has value or he doesn't.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
·
20m
BREAKING: Catcher Will Smith and the Los Angeles Dodgers are finalizing a 10-year, $140 million contract extension, sources tell ESPN.
Wonder if this would be Cal's starting numbers?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another missed opportunity for the M's.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal
·
1h

Free-agent left-hander Jordan Montgomery in agreement with Diamondbacks, pending physical. Deal will pay him $25M this season, includes vesting player option for second year. First with agreement:

Heyman:
Montgomery can opt out of 2025 if he makes 10 starts in 2024. The 2025 salary vests at $20M with those 10 starts in 2024 and boosts to $22.5M with 18 starts and $25M with 23 starts. 2024 salary is $25M
They’ve quietly had a solid offseason. Don’t think they can win the division but I think the NL West will be the most exciting division this year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What makes you think that a Woo for Gorman would have happened by now? I don’t think Jerry would’ve done that trade. I firmly believe Jerry thinks a cheap SP is more valuable than a cheap position player.

If Gilbert would be in the discussion then Cards would be adding someone with Gorman not the Mariners (IMO)

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I thought you said he was a strike out machine so why should we trade for him? Either he has value or he doesn't.

I personally would not have done that trade I am saying from the point of view of the Cardinals if I were to depart with Gorman whom my team drafted in the middle 1st round out of high school and the cardinals organization spent the last 4 years basically developing him, they are not going to be ok with trading him away for Woo. If I were them I would imagine the asking price is Logan Gilbert whom we also drafted in the 1st round.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think that a Woo for Gorman would have happened by now? I don’t think Jerry would’ve done that trade. I firmly believe Jerry thinks a cheap SP is more valuable than a cheap position player.

If Gilbert would be in the discussion then Cards would be adding someone with Gorman not the Mariners (IMO)

Since Gilbert made the All Star team and Gorman hasn't you can argue that. If the Cardinals were willing to depart with Gorman for Woo and some no name prospect personally I would think that trade would have happened but that would be an awesome lopsided trade for the Mariners. I also agree if Jerry believes cheap pitching is better than cheap position player that is the way to go. If I had to choose between having a great 1-9 lineup trying to score 8 runs a game or a great 1-5 rotation and bullpen to keep the game close I would go with the pitching especially going into the playoffs.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could actually post this question on the Cardinals board and see what they think about a Woo Gorman Trade.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan

@JeffPassan
·
20m
More dollars from the Dodger money tree. I guess it isn't that bad of a deal for them. But Smith is 29 and catchers age like running backs. He'll be DHing or playing first base more than catching for the majority of this contract.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More dollars from the Dodger money tree. I guess it isn't that bad of a deal for them. But Smith is 29 and catchers age like running backs. He'll be DHing or playing first base more than catching for the majority of this contract.
I didn't realize he was that old. I was assuming he was like 24. Wow that is crazy.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize he was that old. I was assuming he was like 24. Wow that is crazy.
Yep. Mariners are in a similar situation with Raleigh. He is 20 months younger than Smith. There has been a lot of speculation in the Mariner Forum as to what his long-term future is with the Mariners. I love the guy. I think he is great for the club. I also think he is a bad long-term investment. I wish it were not true.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Mariners are in a similar situation with Raleigh. He is 20 months younger than Smith. There has been a lot of speculation in the Mariner Forum as to what his long-term future is with the Mariners. I love the guy. I think he is great for the club. I also think he is a bad long-term investment. I wish it were not true.
Cal will be 28 at the end of the season which isn't too old. I wouldn't give him a 10 year deal, but a 4 year deal makes sense. I mean in the end he is a DH or maybe 1B with work more than a long-term catcher. So essentially he is the next Garver.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Day in Oakland. This is just sad for baseball.

A's.jpeg

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Dipoto can make a splash and bring back Kolten Wong and convince us that’s gonna add some power to the lineup!