• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Free Agent Signings/Moves

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a war right now between free agents and owners especially the clients of Scott Boras I don't think 22 million would be much on the open market. Probably enough to sign one quality player but not an all star pitcher. Blake Snell signed a 2 year deal but his first year he will make 24 million and his 2nd year is 40 million assuming he takes the player option which I am sure he will.
No facts to back this up, but I am 100% sure Blake would’ve taken a 3/75 contract. I also guarantee he would’ve done a Ohtani type deal cause he wanted to be in Seattle. But no idea on what they could’ve done with the 22 million but it didn’t necessarily have to be even on a FA. There self imposed salary cap cut the legs out of trading for guys to complete the 2024 team. While I won’t fault Jerry for this but this team is really oddly constructed by having their biggest FA is a DH and his two biggest bat acquisitions are guys who should be the DH 50% of the time they are in the lineup.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

Blake Snell contract, per source:$17M signing bonus, payable 1/15/2026

$15M in 2024

If Snell does not opt out…$30M in 2025, with $15M deferred without interest

Deal is two years, $62M. Factoring in deferrals, union values present day value at $59,396,694
Obviously I would’ve loved to have Snell, but it is more frustrating that the Mariners could have easily matched that but the biggest thing that irks me is it isn’t very often a dude basically begs to be in Seattle. Sign the guys who wants to be there then figure it out much like the Seahawks when they signed Bennett and Avril.

Jerry said Miller and Woo won’t have inning restrictions but there is no way at least Woo won’t.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

Blake Snell contract, per source:$17M signing bonus, payable 1/15/2026

$15M in 2024

If Snell does not opt out…$30M in 2025, with $15M deferred without interest

Deal is two years, $62M. Factoring in deferrals, union values present day value at $59,396,694

(Spotrac) Blake Snell signed a 2 year / $62,000,000 contract with the San Francisco Giants, including a $17,000,000 signing bonus, $62,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $31,000,000. In 2024, Snell will earn a base salary of $15,000,000 and a signing bonus of $17,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $23,500,000.

so basically in 2 years of being on the roster the Giants have to pay roughly 60 million. Luis Castillo is getting paid 108 over the span of 5 years. Which to me is the better deal unless he falls off.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No facts to back this up, but I am 100% sure Blake would’ve taken a 3/75 contract. I also guarantee he would’ve done a Ohtani type deal cause he wanted to be in Seattle. But no idea on what they could’ve done with the 22 million but it didn’t necessarily have to be even on a FA. There self imposed salary cap cut the legs out of trading for guys to complete the 2024 team. While I won’t fault Jerry for this but this team is really oddly constructed by having their biggest FA is a DH and his two biggest bat acquisitions are guys who should be the DH 50% of the time they are in the lineup.

Why would we want to sign Snell when we already have an elite rotation? We also invested a 1st round pick in Emerson Hancock ready to step in incase of injury. To me Free agency is tough even the teams that shelled out a ton of money signing 1 player makes me a little cringe like dang I really hope it works out for them because that contract will handicap them down the road.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we want to sign Snell when we already have an elite rotation? We also invested a 1st round pick in Emerson Hancock ready to step in incase of injury. To me Free agency is tough even the teams that shelled out a ton of money signing 1 player makes me a little cringe like dang I really hope it works out for them because that contract will handicap them down the road.
If you can't sign a bat, your next best avenue to obtain one is to trade from a position of strength. Pitching is only strength in this case if you have the replacement on the roster. Sign Snell and trade Miller/Woo/Hancock for a bat (Gorman from Cards would have been my target).

Never going to happen in Marinerville. We are a one step forward, one step back organization.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A. Snell’s ceiling is the ace of the staff
B. It is short term, so essentially a risk free deal. And it doesn’t mess with 2026 apocalypse Jerry talked about
C. Woo and Hancock both have injury history and are coming off of the most pro innings they have pitched
D. The dude wanted to be in Seattle. Name the last time a top free agent wanted to come to Seattle without them having to “overpay”
E. The name of the game is to try to collect the most talent

I would only cringe on it if the Mariners signed Snell or basically anyone not named Ohtani a 8 plus year contract. I’m not mad or anything but I think with Snell this team could with stand the inevitable injuries and decreases the risk of the staff puttering out

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't sign a bat, your next best avenue to obtain one is to trade from a position of strength. Pitching is only strength in this case if you have the replacement on the roster. Sign Snell and trade Miller/Woo/Hancock for a bat (Gorman from Cards would have been my target).

Never going to happen in Marinerville. We are a one step forward, one step back organization.

This plan could work but a few things comes to mind is that I think St. Louis is going to want to have all 3 prospects for Gorman which I think would be a rip off. Also Gorman has a high strikeout rate, he struck out 250x in 680 at bats and he is a DH which tells me he needs work on his glove I dont know if that would have moved the needle with us.

The other thing is if you signed/paid then trade half your rotation for a bat then you would also have to pay that bat premium money too on top of Snell and you would cut into trying to sign Kirby or Gilbert to an extension.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This plan could work but a few things comes to mind is that I think St. Louis is going to want to have all 3 prospects for Gorman which I think would be a rip off. Also Gorman has a high strikeout rate, he struck out 250x in 680 at bats and he is a DH which tells me he needs work on his glove I dont know if that would have moved the needle with us.

The other thing is if you signed/paid then trade half your rotation for a bat then you would also have to pay that bat premium money too on top of Snell and you would cut into trying to sign Kirby or Gilbert to an extension.
I don't think that you realize you are saying this, but your general message is that we need to accept mediocrity, infinitum.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gorman was an example and no we would not trade 3 young starters for him.

Gorman is young and talented and his K rate may stay high or may come down. That is going to be an issue with just about any young player. The K rate is overrated if it only applies to a couple bats in your lineup. Major problem when it is your whole lineup.

So don't pay anyone and just hope you have one breakout year with all your players at once? They. Have. Money.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How can you doubt this man?

gorman.jpeg

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on Heyman

@JonHeyman
·
18m
Reds are granting Mike Ford’s release after he didn’t make the team. Hit .455 in spring with 3 homers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It’d be nice if they could get Robert from the White Sox. I’m curious if Jerry even asked what the cost would be

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’d be nice if they could get Robert from the White Sox. I’m curious if Jerry even asked what the cost would be
He would be a nice get but it would be interesting to see who plays CF if he came and would the one that has to move gets upset.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David O'Brien

@DOBrienATL
·
1h

Snitker on struggling Jarred Kelenic, the day after his 2-for-3 game Wednesday w/ double, RBI single, line-out: "Hopefully he's relaxing. I tell you what, that little son of a bitch gets it going, he's a difference maker. Because he was flying around them bases, too.
"The at-bat he got the double, when he's fouling all those balls off, I thought, 'Wow, that's good.' Because they weren't down the middle, they were kind of around...and he was having good whacks at it. Something as simple as that is all it takes sometimes." I walked by him in (the clubhouse) this morning and he had a T-shirt shirt on, and it's like, oh, shit, he's built like a freaking wide receiver, or a defensive back or something."After Snitker's comments, Kelenic added a triple in Thursday's game

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel this organization has taken 5 steps back in 2 short years. Dumbass shitty owners.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be a nice get but it would be interesting to see who plays CF if he came and would the one that has to move gets upset.
Well you know my opinion. Julio wasn’t ever meant to be a CF and he shouldn’t be now. Continuing to be a 40/40 caliber player is easier playing a COF spot and last year was Julio’s first pro season where he didn’t get injured. 22 he technically didn’t spend significant time on the IL but had a lower back injury that derailed his potential MVP season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you know my opinion. Julio wasn’t ever meant to be a CF and he shouldn’t be now. Continuing to be a 40/40 caliber player is easier playing a COF spot and last year was Julio’s first pro season where he didn’t get injured. 22 he technically didn’t spend significant time on the IL but had a lower back injury that derailed his potential MVP season.
I agree, but was thinking from an ego standpoint.