• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Free Agent Signings/Moves

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
·
2h
Nola and Phillies have a deal. $172M, 7 years.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman
·
2h
Nola and Phillies have a deal. $172M, 7 years.
I guess it's better they went the Nola route than spend more on Snell

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on Morosi

@jonmorosi
·
2h

Jeimer Candelario, who turns 30 this week, is a popular name in
@MLB
free agency. The Nats, Blue Jays, and Angels are among the teams pursuing him, sources confirm.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Cardinals have signed free agent right-hander Lance Lynn to a one-year, $10 million deal with up to $3 million in performance bonuses.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent RHP Yoshinobu Yamamoto will have his posting window open at 8 a.m. ET on Tuesday, November 21, according to Jon Morosi of MLB Network.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves signed RHP Reynaldo López, who had been with the Guardians, to a three-year, $30 million contract with a club option for 2024.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Snell gets more? I really have no clue anymore on these signings.
Supposedly he says he’d take a hometown discount so I’d assume something around $25 million a year. The Mariners should offer him something around 5/125 and front load it.

My biggest fear is he goes to Texas. If Texas fixes their pitching staff then the Mariners might as well just restart the rebuild.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so coming off a Cy Young year

Three free agents to be wary of

1. Blake Snell, LHP

This is one player whom I did cover in some depth in my rankings. Snell could very well be the next Max Scherzer -- a power-based starting pitcher who ages well when it comes to velocity and strikeouts, en route to a big ROI on what I predicted will be a $150 million deal.
After all, Snell just won the National League Cy Young -- but on the other hand, he did so by outperforming his peripherals by about 1½ runs. He led the league in walks and has thrown 130-plus innings only twice in his career. That sounds an awful lot like Carlos Rodon, the worst free agent deal from last winter, and if that sounds like recency bias, the other two recent stuff-over-command lefty starters given nine-figure deals are Patrick Corbinand Robbie Ray, also disastrous contracts for their clubs.

This subset of highly paid pitchers doing poorly does make some logical sense:

• The rarest thing a contending team can land is a power lefty starter.
  • Clubs will be willing to overpay to get them.
  • Nine-figure free agent deals often come after career years with post-peak seasons ahead.
  • Stuff-over-command pitchers often have nothing to fall back on in their 30s, once their stuff/physical prowess regresses.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Three free agents to be wary of

1. Blake Snell, LHP

This is one player whom I did cover in some depth in my rankings. Snell could very well be the next Max Scherzer -- a power-based starting pitcher who ages well when it comes to velocity and strikeouts, en route to a big ROI on what I predicted will be a $150 million deal.
After all, Snell just won the National League Cy Young -- but on the other hand, he did so by outperforming his peripherals by about 1½ runs. He led the league in walks and has thrown 130-plus innings only twice in his career. That sounds an awful lot like Carlos Rodon, the worst free agent deal from last winter, and if that sounds like recency bias, the other two recent stuff-over-command lefty starters given nine-figure deals are Patrick Corbinand Robbie Ray, also disastrous contracts for their clubs.

This subset of highly paid pitchers doing poorly does make some logical sense:

• The rarest thing a contending team can land is a power lefty starter.
  • Clubs will be willing to overpay to get them.
  • Nine-figure free agent deals often come after career years with post-peak seasons ahead.
  • Stuff-over-command pitchers often have nothing to fall back on in their 30s, once their stuff/physical prowess regresses.
I get the hesitancy with him not pitching into the 8th and his walks. But Jerry has preached about his bullpen and defense, so realistically it shouldn’t matter. But I know they have that whole control the zone bs philosophy but the only people on the team who control the zone are Kirby and JP.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly he says he’d take a hometown discount so I’d assume something around $25 million a year. The Mariners should offer him something around 5/125 and front load it.

My biggest fear is he goes to Texas. If Texas fixes their pitching staff then the Mariners might as well just restart the rebuild.
At first glance you'd wonder why the Mariners would chase ace-level starting pitching when we have four very good starters now (If you include RR). But, I see the logic. There aren't many position player FAs that the team needs, Signing Snell would make Logan Gilbert expendable and he would get a return package much better than Woo, Hancock, or Miller would. Might entice Dipoto to trade Marco too, which would make me happy regardless of what they got in return.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance you'd wonder why the Mariners would chase ace-level starting pitching when we have four very good starters now (If you include RR). But, I see the logic. There aren't many position player FAs that the team needs, Signing Snell would make Logan Gilbert expendable and he would get a return package much better than Woo, Hancock, or Miller would. Might entice Dipoto to trade Marco too, which would make me happy regardless of what they got in return.
I’d never thought of that philosophy until I listened to the podcast. Then went back to other podcasts or interviews where people were talking about deals with Woo and Miller. Every deal including those two brings back fills one hole. I’d love for them to keep Gilbert and Kirby but Seattle needs 2 bats because of all their stud prospects are at least another year away and even that causes an issue cause I have a feeling Ford is going to stay at C so he doesn’t fill a hole.

Plus financially, if Snell gets $25 a year for 5, you can realistically look at it as though Seattle is only paying for 2 years at that rate. Cause after next season, everything I’ve seen banks on arbitration for Gilbert and Kirby will be between $15-20 million in 2025 and 2026 respectively.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d never thought of that philosophy until I listened to the podcast. Then went back to other podcasts or interviews where people were talking about deals with Woo and Miller. Every deal including those two brings back fills one hole. I’d love for them to keep Gilbert and Kirby but Seattle needs 2 bats because of all their stud prospects are at least another year away and even that causes an issue cause I have a feeling Ford is going to stay at C so he doesn’t fill a hole.

Plus financially, if Snell gets $25 a year for 5, you can realistically look at it as though Seattle is only paying for 2 years at that rate. Cause after next season, everything I’ve seen banks on arbitration for Gilbert and Kirby will be between $15-20 million in 2025 and 2026 respectively.

Weird that Gilbert doesn't have Super 2 status. He started 24 games in 2021.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird that Gilbert doesn't have Super 2 status. He started 24 games in 2021.
Not sure, I just read in 2025 his arb number is going to be between $15-20 million so probably closer to $20. They may have been mistaken or I heard it wrong.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rhett Bollinger

@RhettBollinger

The #Angels are also hiring Tim Laker as “offensive coordinator.” He was the Minor League hitting coordinator for the Dodgers and was Mariners hitting coach from 2019-21.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand
·
16m

Lots of trade chatter about Tyler Glasnow this offseason. Two execs told me they believe Tampa Bay will “definitely” move its ace, who is set to earn $25 million in 2024.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Feinsand
@Feinsand
·
16m

Lots of trade chatter about Tyler Glasnow this offseason. Two execs told me they believe Tampa Bay will “definitely” move its ace, who is set to earn $25 million in 2024.
Yep. I read one article that said TB's payroll was sitting at $125 million and they have previously never had an opening day payroll over $83 million. Glasgow can put the biggest dent in that discrepancy. Wouldn't be surprised if they traded Zach Eflin too and maybe Yandy Diaz or Manuel Margot (no thanks). And I'm sure they'd love to get out from under Wander Franco's contract but no other teams will touch him for the next couple years.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Cardinals have signed free agent right-hander Lance Lynn to a one-year, $10 million deal with up to $3 million in performance bonuses.
Lynn and Gibson. The once-proud Cardinals seem to be stuffing their rotation with b-listers.