• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Free Agent Signings/Moves

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I always liked, but man he can't stay healthy.

Matt Gelb

@MattGelb
·
31m

Taijuan Walker reported shoulder stiffness this morning after playing catch, Rob Thomson said. He was examined by a doctor. This is why Spencer Turnbull started and, most likely, he’ll begin the season in the Phillies rotation.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay that was funny and I am pissed I didn't think of it. :suds:
As long as he doesn't go Gabe Kapler style and use coconut oil for other uses. I hate that guy.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I always liked, but man he can't stay healthy.

Matt Gelb
@MattGelb
·
31m

Taijuan Walker reported shoulder stiffness this morning after playing catch, Rob Thomson said. He was examined by a doctor. This is why Spencer Turnbull started and, most likely, he’ll begin the season in the Phillies rotation.
Awesome! No more Sunday baseball with Ty Walker.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as he doesn't go Gabe Kapler style and use coconut oil for other uses. I hate that guy.
I don't think I want to know.

My first spring training trip was around 2003 and my wife and I sat in the front row down the 1B side down towards the outfield. Kapler was with the Rockies I believe at the time and he was stretching with a teammate and the teammate slap him and point towards me. Kapler started laughing. I was burnt red and glowing brightly. I never forgave him...lol.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I want to know.

My first spring training trip was around 2003 and my wife and I sat in the front row down the 1B side down towards the outfield. Kapler was with the Rockies I believe at the time and he was stretching with a teammate and the teammate slap him and point towards me. Kapler started laughing. I was burnt red and glowing brightly. I never forgave him...lol.
That's strange but doesn't surprise me, it's Gabe Kapler.
Dude won't eat ice cream. He tastes it and spits it back out.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lenny Dykstra always said those made the best players. IMO the smartest guy in baseball history was Ty Cobb and everyone hates him.
I would go with George Brett for smartest guy in baseball. Only guy in the 80's and 90's who didn't believe in weights. All he did was hit .390 in a season.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would go with George Brett for smartest guy in baseball. Only guy in the 80's and 90's who didn't believe in weights. All he did was hit .390 in a season.
Yeah but Cobb invested all of his money and was the wealthiest ball player. I guess it’s subjective. I didn’t know that about Brett, but also if you look at Tony Gwynn, didn’t seem like he hit the weight room at all either.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but also if you look at Tony Gwynn, didn’t seem like he hit the weight room at all either.
Ya good point. He hit the buffet.

Brett was outspoken against lifting. He said nobody ever pulled fat.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Cobb invested all of his money and was the wealthiest ball player. I guess it’s subjective. I didn’t know that about Brett, but also if you look at Tony Gwynn, didn’t seem like he hit the weight room at all either.
He was the game's highest-paid player in his time, and he put his salary to work by becoming an early investor in Coca-Cola and United Motors (a company acquired by General Motors in 1918). Cobb's fortune at the time of his death was estimated at $12 million. That's about $112 million in today's dollars.

I never knew this. Good info.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the game's highest-paid player in his time, and he put his salary to work by becoming an early investor in Coca-Cola and United Motors (a company acquired by General Motors in 1918). Cobb's fortune at the time of his death was estimated at $12 million. That's about $112 million in today's dollars.

I never knew this. Good info.
Yeah. He invested well. I would’ve been wrong, I thought it was GE not General Motors so glad you didn’t quiz me on that one.

No idea if it’s an urban myth but when there was the big scandal of him betting on baseball because he was worth more than any bookie.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that you realize you are saying this, but your general message is that we need to accept mediocrity, infinitum.

Making trades, signing free agents, drafting, releasing players etc of all sports to me is like a game of chess. I don't agree with tearing apart a top 3 rotation for a DH that strikes out a lot and since he is young it will be on our coaching staff to develop is plate approach and fielding which means some time spent in AAA. Thats not a good chess move.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gorman was an example and no we would not trade 3 young starters for him.

Gorman is young and talented and his K rate may stay high or may come down. That is going to be an issue with just about any young player. The K rate is overrated if it only applies to a couple bats in your lineup. Major problem when it is your whole lineup.

So don't pay anyone and just hope you have one breakout year with all your players at once? They. Have. Money.

Well look at it this way is the goal not to make the playoffs in 2024? Giving up a piece of the rotation for a Gorman who strikes out a lot and can't field who needs development or trade almost nothing for Jorge Polanco who strikes out less than 100x every 300 at bats who can play different parts of the infield and has been playing major league baseball for 8 years now. I am not saying over the next 10 years Polanco will be better than Gorman but for this season I would say he is.

Also if you want to talk long term, Cole Young is just one good season away in AA to basically being in the majors so trading our young pitchers for Gorman to me wouldn't be the right chess move.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well look at it this way is the goal not to make the playoffs in 2024? Giving up a piece of the rotation for a Gorman who strikes out a lot and can't field who needs development or trade almost nothing for Jorge Polanco who strikes out less than 100x every 300 at bats who can play different parts of the infield and has been playing major league baseball for 8 years now. I am not saying over the next 10 years Polanco will be better than Gorman but for this season I would say he is.

Also if you want to talk long term, Cole Young is just one good season away in AA to basically being in the majors so trading our young pitchers for Gorman to me wouldn't be the right chess move.
Polanco is good if he can stay on the field. Same as Haniger. Same as Garver. Sometimes youth is better for nothing else than availability. If a guy like Gorman can hit, you find a position for him.

And nobody said Polanco or Gorman. If you could have pulled off a Woo plus non-Top 5 prospect for him, I would take the gamble. If not him, then one of their other young bats. Expand the mind. Dipoto should prove to you that trading for past performance might not be the best move. Sometimes you have to trade for future/present bat as long as you do your homework on him...and no I don't trust Dipoto to hit on any bat.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polanco is good if he can stay on the field. Same as Haniger. Same as Garver. Sometimes youth is better for nothing else than availability. If a guy like Gorman can hit, you find a position for him.

And nobody said Polanco or Gorman. If you could have pulled off a Woo plus non-Top 5 prospect for him, I would take the gamble. If not him, then one of their other young bats. Expand the mind. Dipoto should prove to you that trading for past performance might not be the best move. Sometimes you have to trade for future/present bat as long as you do your homework on him...and no I don't trust Dipoto to hit on any bat.
Well he did hit on Haniger. And technically has traded 3 all stars for him. I’d consider JP a hit too. For 200 AB’s France has been. But he needs more JP’s where he trades people who hurt the team, not productive pieces. And for the love of god, quit saying the word culture. Anytime the team gets behind someone as a clubhouse leader he gets traded. Supposedly Haniger held a big clubhouse meeting, so expect him to be traded at the deadline.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he did hit on Haniger. And technically has traded 3 all stars for him. I’d consider JP a hit too. For 200 AB’s France has been. But he needs more JP’s where he trades people who hurt the team, not productive pieces. And for the love of god, quit saying the word culture. Anytime the team gets behind someone as a clubhouse leader he gets traded. Supposedly Haniger held a big clubhouse meeting, so expect him to be traded at the deadline.
Haniger was obtained at the cost of a better player who has played way more games.

Haniger with M's : 11.4 WAR. - 306 RBI. - 335 Runs
Marte with AZ: 19.7 WAR. - 370 RBI. - 437 Runs

JP was a nice get. A stud? No, but a good team player.

France is 13th in WAR for 1B since going M's. 6.8 WAR. Others in the 6's in that period: Wilmer Flores, Nathaniel Lowe, Anthony Rizzo.