• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Free Agent Signings/Moves

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of what? The ownership not spending money? The keeping Marte is what I think Jerry would do in hindsight

You think in hindsight the better option would have been to keep Marte and not trade for Luis Castillo even after an 80 game suspension was handed down? There is no way you actually believe that

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not according to Howard Lincoln back in 1995. The playoffs cost the org money...lol. This org is amazing.
How? Wouldn’t every penny extra they have to pay be more than made up?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? Wouldn’t every penny extra they have to pay be more than made up?
Again, not according to Howie back in '95. He said they had to pay for police to do traffic and security and some other things. That was when he came out with his famous quote about not his job to win a WS. It was his job to make a profit for the owners. I don't see it, but whatever. Even if not true, just having that mentality will never make you a winner.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners ownership has had it just how they have wanted it for years. Be slightly competitive and the fans will show up every year and pack the stands even if you don't try to win a ring. The Mariners problem now is they keep blurting this shit out and now the fans are finally starting to see it. Oh who am I kidding, the stands will be packed and a year from now we'll be in exactly the same situation. Five years from now it will be the same situation. 10 years from now it will be just like this.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think in hindsight the better option would have been to keep Marte and not trade for Luis Castillo even after an 80 game suspension was handed down? There is no way you actually believe that
In hindsight yes. Is there a question Jerry would’ve liked an extra $22 million this offseason? Again it’s hindsight, I’d do it 100/100 times

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, not according to Howie back in '95. He said they had to pay for police to do traffic and security and some other things. That was when he came out with his famous quote about not his job to win a WS. It was his job to make a profit for the owners. I don't see it, but whatever. Even if not true, just having that mentality will never make you a winner.
Didn’t know he said that. Yeah it costs them money for the police but it’s all negotiable with the city and county since the park is technically theirs. The higher seniority guys like working a standard game but no way are they missing the playoff game.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t know he said that. Yeah it costs them money for the police but it’s all negotiable with the city and county since the park is technically theirs. The higher seniority guys like working a standard game but no way are they missing the playoff game.
Much of his fire is aimed at Howard Lincoln, the team’s long-time chairman and CEO. I can’t imagine Lincoln is going to be very happy at some old quotes that Wells resurrects. Like, “The goal of the Mariners is not to win the World Series … We absolutely have to make money
Shipwrecked: A Peoples’ History of the Seattle Mariners

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell turns down more money from East Coast teams to sign with the Giants. He clearly wanted to be here. Settled for San Fran. That's as close as he could get.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snell turns down more money from East Coast teams to sign with the Giants. He clearly wanted to be here. Settled for San Fran. That's as close as he could get.
Mariners offered him all the Moto Pizza he could eat, but Snell decides to take the $62M instead...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight yes. Is there a question Jerry would’ve liked an extra $22 million this offseason? Again it’s hindsight, I’d do it 100/100 times

well I don't know what else to say. one is a prospect that is getting suspended for 80 games and the other is an all star pitcher that averages 200 strikeouts a year. I would definitely pay him the money we would have no shot at the playoffs if he wasn't on this roster.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I don't know what else to say. one is a prospect that is getting suspended for 80 games and the other is an all star pitcher that averages 200 strikeouts a year. I would definitely pay him the money we would have no shot at the playoffs if he wasn't on this roster.
Not sure what your point is. 1000% with hindsight no GM would sign Castillo to the extension which means most wouldn’t have made the deal. But it is hindsight

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners offered him all the Moto Pizza he could eat, but Snell decides to take the $62M instead...
Still bugs me. The Mariners easily could’ve done a 2 year deal. The Mariners problem isn’t money for this season, it is for next season.

I truly hope the fans boo the crap out of Stanton when he does his little speech pre game

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what your point is. 1000% with hindsight no GM would sign Castillo to the extension which means most wouldn’t have made the deal. But it is hindsight

To me Hindsight is with everything unfolding now and we can all see where we are with the trade. Right now Castillo is an All Star and Marte is getting suspended.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still bugs me. The Mariners easily could’ve done a 2 year deal. The Mariners problem isn’t money for this season, it is for next season.

I truly hope the fans boo the crap out of Stanton when he does his little speech pre game
Thing is, we don't even know if it will be an issue next season either. And again there is the old we made $160 in profit the last two years argument. Sell the team!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, we don't even know if it will be an issue next season either. And again there is the old we made $160 in profit the last two years argument. Sell the team!
I could see them having a legit issue with knowing how much money they will have in baseball ops because of Root Sports. But that’s the thing, the baseball club owns more than the network and the team. Can’t really say rob Peter to pay Paul but it’s like that except Peter is worth a couple hundred million and Paul is worth 2 billion.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Hindsight is with everything unfolding now and we can all see where we are with the trade. Right now Castillo is an All Star and Marte is getting suspended.
And Jerry could have used that $22 million better for this offseason. It’s not really that complicated dude. With your hypothetical you are assuming Marte wouldn’t have been dealt in a different deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see them having a legit issue with knowing how much money they will have in baseball ops because of Root Sports. But that’s the thing, the baseball club owns more than the network and the team. Can’t really say rob Peter to pay Paul but it’s like that except Peter is worth a couple hundred million and Paul is worth 2 billion.
Their whole basis for crying poverty for next year is that they say people will drop the channel on their cable plans because it went to the higher tier. There is no way of knowing how much that will drop or even if it will drop. People get pissed when the initial changes are made and say they are going to do this and that, but then they calm down and they usually stick to their plan out of convenience and familiarity. I do know that not publicizing your product will never help you so not showing more/all games in the spring is just a foolish business model.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Jerry could have used that $22 million better for this offseason. It’s not really that complicated dude. With your hypothetical you are assuming Marte wouldn’t have been dealt in a different deal.

It is a war right now between free agents and owners especially the clients of Scott Boras I don't think 22 million would be much on the open market. Probably enough to sign one quality player but not an all star pitcher. Blake Snell signed a 2 year deal but his first year he will make 24 million and his 2nd year is 40 million assuming he takes the player option which I am sure he will.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a war right now between free agents and owners especially the clients of Scott Boras I don't think 22 million would be much on the open market. Probably enough to sign one quality player but not an all star pitcher. Blake Snell signed a 2 year deal but his first year he will make 24 million and his 2nd year is 40 million assuming he takes the player option which I am sure he will.
Boras got hit hard.

As far as Snell, his contract was easily doable. This organizational self imposed $22M is BS and it will bite them in the butt but they won't care because they will still profit $80M+.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Blake Snell contract, per source:$17M signing bonus, payable 1/15/2026

$15M in 2024

If Snell does not opt out…$30M in 2025, with $15M deferred without interest

Deal is two years, $62M. Factoring in deferrals, union values present day value at $59,396,694