• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No Rondo thread?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Hell, Kobe has been a straight up asshole at times to teammates and coaches (including Phil), but it's led to 5 rings.

Heck, now that some of them are starting to tell "behind the scenes" stories, it seems the Showtime Lakers "broke a few eggs" in the 80's as well. :lol:

Agreed.

I'm not insinuating that you have to be a turd to win.

But, look at some of the greats historically.

KAJ, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Duncan, Isiah, Bird....

Magic and Timmy are known to be good guys.

Everyone else on that list?

All Dicks...lol

I have to say, I have really enjoyed some of the stories that have come out of late about Bird.

Walking in to the locker room All star weekend and asking which guy is coming in 2nd is a thing of Legend.

But, the one about him trolling Dominique? :pound:

I wish my Guy, Blake, had a bit more Asshole in him.

Maybe Dudes would stop slapping him around so much on the court and he could get over the hump:noidea:?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I'm not insinuating that you have to be a turd to win.

But, look at some of the greats historically.

KAJ, Jordan, Kobe, Magic, Duncan, Isiah, Bird....

Magic and Timmy are known to be good guys.

Everyone else on that list?

All Dicks...lol

I have to say, I have really enjoyed some of the stories that have come out of late about Bird.

Walking in to the locker room All star weekend and asking which guy is coming in 2nd is a thing of Legend.

But, the one about him trolling Dominique? :pound:

I wish my Guy, Blake, had a bit more Asshole in him.

Maybe Dudes would stop slapping him around so much on the court and he could get over the hump:noidea:?

From the stories I've heard, if they had the 24/7 coverage back then, that we have now, even Magic wouldn't be considered such a nice guy. :lol:

All of these guys have large ego's, have been very successful and a large part of their success has been because they do things their way. Disagreements, arguments and fights are going to happen. It's inevitable.

Love the stories about Bird. Turns out he wasn't the quiet "hick from French Lick" that everyone always thought he was. If you haven't read it. I suggest reading the book about him and Magic (When The Game Was Ours). Some great stuff in there.

I agree about Blake. I've said before that if he'd just clobber a couple of guys (even if it means he gets ejected and/or suspended for a game or 2) it would put a stop to a lot of the crap that opponents do to him. Unfortunately, I think that if he had that in him, he'd have already done it.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the stories I've heard, if they had the 24/7 coverage back then, that we have now, even Magic wouldn't be considered such a nice guy. :lol:

All of these guys have large ego's, have been very successful and a large part of their success has been because they do things their way. Disagreements, arguments and fights are going to happen. It's inevitable.

Love the stories about Bird. Turns out he wasn't the quiet "hick from French Lick" that everyone always thought he was. If you haven't read it. I suggest reading the book about him and Magic. Some great stuff in there.

I agree about Blake. I've said before that if he'd just clobber a couple of guys (even if it means he gets ejected and/or suspended for a game or 2) it would put a stop to a lot of the crap that opponents do to him. Unfortunately, I think that if he had that in him, he'd have already done it.

That's true, Trojan but he has basically admitted to mailing it in when things aren't going his way or the team isn't loaded with talent. Doesn't seem like the best guy to lead with going into the post-Kobe era. I'd rather see more Clarkson next year than a max offer to Rondo.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, Trojan but he has basically admitted to mailing it in when things aren't going his way or the team isn't loaded with talent. Doesn't seem like the best guy to lead with going into the post-Kobe era. I'd rather see more Clarkson next year than a max offer to Rondo.

That's where Byron comes in. He's old school Showtime. He'll drag Rondo out back and kick his ass. :lol:

As for Clarkson, if he continues developing, I would have zero issue with standing pat at pg and seeing what he can do at point with some upgraded talent around him. I'm glad Byron seems to be committed to developing him and that he's been working with Nash.

A pg rotation of Clarkson as the starter and Lin as the backup (at a much lower salary) would be just fine if they have better talent around them.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where Byron comes in. He's old school Showtime. He'll drag Rondo out back and kick his ass. :lol:

As for Clarkson, if he continues developing, I would have zero issue with standing pat at pg and seeing what he can do at point with some upgraded talent around him. I'm glad Byron seems to be committed to developing him and that he's been working with Nash.

A pg rotation of Clarkson as the starter and Lin as the backup (at a much lower salary) would be just fine if they have better talent around them.

I'd pay to see that lol.

If the Lakers are serious about not sacrificing the future in order to try to win Kobe 1 more championship then I believe signing Rondo would directly contradict that. I also think Dragic's game will age better because he doesn't rely on his athleticism as much as Rondo.

Clarkson is coming along, makes me wish I had seen Cane's thread about Clarkson before it was deleted/taken down. Might have provided some good laughs.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it has been said before...

But CARLISLE is an argumentative egomaniacal jackass as well. Those two personalites cannot mesh.

The only reason Dallas won anything in 2011 was that the players turned on him, told him to shut the fuck up, and let Jason Kidd run the team while Carlisle did press conferences.

To this day, Carlisle is constantly looking to pick fights with his players after losing that battle with J-Kidd.

Rajon is an ass, and maybe the biggest ass in the league.
But, Carlisle is an ass as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But CARLISLE is an argumentative egomaniacal jackass as well. Those two personalites cannot mesh.

The only reason Dallas won anything in 2011 was that the players turned on him, told him to shut the fuck up, and let Jason Kidd run the team while Carlisle did press conferences.

To this day, Carlisle is constantly looking to pick fights with his players after losing that battle with J-Kidd.

That's my take as well. Unless and until we start hearing rumors that Rondo isn't going to re-sign with the Mavs, the Mavs aren't interested in re-signing Rondo or Carlisle's job is in jeopardy, this is much ado about nothing.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,724.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas started well with Rondo, but they certainly cooled off. That trade doesn't look that great anymore. So much for it making them much better.

Couldn't find the Rondo trade thread.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The hell? Carlisle's schemes, especially defensively when they started played a mashup hybrid zone for stretches of games, are what put them over the top that year. Kidd didn't run jack. The whole reason they clashed is because Kidd wanted to be the primary PG like he had always been, but his skills had diminished. The team wasn't as efficient with Kidd playing the role he had always played. He wasn't sharp enough to run the plays from the start but he could still do it as a secondary option. So Carlisle flipped him more into a shooting guard role (taking advantage of his 3 point shot he had developed) and let Jet/Barea/Beaubois be the primary ball handler and the team was much better for it. The Jet/Dirk pick and pop option was lethal, especially with Kidd now off ball spaced out the wing as the safety valve either for a shot or to run a secondary pick, utilizing Kidd's talents to find a guy open when the defense was scrambling to recover from the first option. His reads were easier that way since he no longer had the athleticism to be a true point.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan is right about not fitting this offense. But that doesn't excuse his behavior. I think Rondo is a dick, Ray Allen hated him, he just seems like a jerk. But what do I know? I never met him.

I get why Dallas went after him, with the strength of the PGs out west, you really need a PG that can play defense. So even though he doesn't fit the offense, his defense is certainly a need. Either way, he is gone, and will likely get close to a max deal somewhere else.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan is right about not fitting this offense. But that doesn't excuse his behavior. I think Rondo is a dick, Ray Allen hated him, he just seems like a jerk. But what do I know? I never met him.

I get why Dallas went after him, with the strength of the PGs out west, you really need a PG that can play defense. So even though he doesn't fit the offense, his defense is certainly a need. Either way, he is gone, and will likely get close to a max deal somewhere else.

I sure hope the Lakers don't offer him a max.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rondo is not the answer regardless. His game is overrated and certainly not good enough to be given the maximum salary that he can get.

I'm gonna disagree on that one. He wouldn't be my first choice and I'd prefer not to max him, but he has good handles, is a good distributor/playmaker and is very good defensively. He'd be the best pg the Lakers have had since at least Van Exel and probably since Magic.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna disagree on that one. He wouldn't be my first choice and I'd prefer not to max him, but he has good handles, is a good distributor/playmaker and is very good defensively. He'd be the best pg the Lakers have had since at least Van Exel and probably since Magic.

He still has no perimeter game. The PG needs to be able to hit jumpshots to keep the defense honest.

It was also troubling to hear him admit he wasn't trying hard on defense recently for Boston. That's not a good sign.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still has no perimeter game. The PG needs to be able to hit jumpshots to keep the defense honest.

It was also troubling to hear him admit he wasn't trying hard on defense recently for Boston. That's not a good sign.

That bolded part is really the only concern that I have about him. That shit don't fly. Of course, if he pulled that on the Lakers, Byron would probably take care of it old school style. :lol:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still not sure how Phil operates as GM, but if Dolan still has final say, it would totally be a Knicks move to max out Rondo and Tobias Harris this summer and watch as that team still struggles to make the 8th seed for the next 4 years.