• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons traded Ryan for a 2023 third-round pick. They weren't on the outs with each other, it's just that Ryan wasn't their long-term future.

Mayfield is also obviously not the Browns long-term future. A fourth for Mayfield would be a reasonable return, but his contract is out of whack compared to Ryan's, and there aren't a lot of suitors.

The idea is to pay to facilitate a trade, not just to do anything they can to get him off their roster. They have the money to spend and they don't need to off-load salary for cap reasons. Paying part of a salary to trade a player isn't that uncommon. The Browns were playing at being hard-asses before and not paying any of the salary, as an initial negotiating position.

If the other teams think they can get Mayfield for free, the Browns' fall-back position would be to keep him and play him. If nothing else, they have to talk about that possibility at the bargaining table.

The main difference between Ryan and Mayfield is that there was no point in keeping Ryan around to go 7-10. The Browns are in position to do make a run this year if the QB play is adequate.
The point is that despite the likely suspension facing Watson, the Browns are trying to move Mayfield and it's all about getting the best deal they can. Hurts them that only the Panthers seem interested in actually trading for Mayfield, the rest are only interested if he gets cut and I highly doubt that happens. At the end the Browns will accept a trade offer, right now they aren't liking what is offered and so they continue to try to bargain for better terms, but before opening day the Browns will trade Mayfield, that seems like a no brainer to me.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,096.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Falcons traded Ryan for a 2023 third-round pick. They weren't on the outs with each other, it's just that Ryan wasn't their long-term future.

Mayfield is also obviously not the Browns long-term future. A fourth for Mayfield would be a reasonable return, but his contract is out of whack compared to Mayfield's.
Ryan makes 17.2 million. Just a little less than Mayfield.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About what I have been saying.

9 mill is nothing for a starting QB in this League.
Still more then a lot of starting bridge QBs are making. Mariota, Winston, Lock ( all less then half of 9 million) not to mention all the QBs on rookie contracts like say Hebert who is making 7 million and if Mayfield fails to win the starting job it starts looking really bad as back ups are general paid as low as possible. The major thing to consider is most teams in need of a starting QB are not close to being a contender and getting a small to medium upgrade at QB doesn't count for much other then a PR talking point. IMO at best Mayfield is maybe a upgrade but not a difference maker , If he was he'd still be the Browns starting QB.

Last edited:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before roster bonus - if he plays he makes another 7 or so.
The $7.5M roster bonus has already been paid. Ryan is due to earn $24.7M in total this season but $6M of the cap hit will be deferred until 2023. I think teams are significantly overpaying for Ryan and Wentz.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The $7.5M roster bonus has already been paid. Ryan is due to earn $24.7M in total this season but $6M of the cap hit will be deferred until 2023. I think teams are significantly overpaying for Ryan and Wentz.
It’s like half what Watson and Mahomes and Dak are getting. The numbers are insane, but relatively it looks right.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mayfield is also obviously not the Browns long-term future. A fourth for Mayfield would be a reasonable return, but his contract is out of whack compared to Ryan's, and there aren't a lot of suitors.

The idea is to pay to facilitate a trade, not just to do anything they can to get him off their roster. They have the money to spend and they don't need to off-load salary for cap reasons. Paying part of a salary to trade a player isn't that uncommon. The Browns were playing at being hard-asses before and not paying any of the salary, as an initial negotiating position.

If the other teams think they can get Mayfield for free, the Browns' fall-back position would be to keep him and play him. If nothing else, they have to talk about that possibility at the bargaining table.

The main difference between Ryan and Mayfield is that there was no point in keeping Ryan around to go 7-10. The Browns are in position to do make a run this year if the QB play is adequate.
The difference between Ryan and Mayfield is Ryan didn't have a fallen out with his FO. Keep it real. The Brown FO screwed the pooch on this one.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Ryan, you are tapping into his veteran status, his leadership ability, and the hope that a change in scenery will help ignite some of that talent. I mean, it was just 2020 that Ryan was 4th in yards, and 2019 he was 7th. It's not like he's been 3-4 years of sub 4K passing yards like in 2021 (though it was one of his highest comp% years recently at 67%).

You're not really getting anything like that with Baker. So, he's not going to bring the same compensation - especially with teams knowing how bad the situation is in Cleveland. Cleveland can either accept its fate, eat the majority of the salary (I'm going to guess $12M) and take a low end draft pick (I'm guessing 6th) - or be stuck paying the entire thing when they cut him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Ryan, you are tapping into his veteran status, his leadership ability, and the hope that a change in scenery will help ignite some of that talent. I mean, it was just 2020 that Ryan was 4th in yards, and 2019 he was 7th. It's not like he's been 3-4 years of sub 4K passing yards like in 2021 (though it was one of his highest comp% years recently at 67%).

You're not really getting anything like that with Baker. So, he's not going to bring the same compensation - especially with teams knowing how bad the situation is in Cleveland. Cleveland can either accept its fate, eat the majority of the salary (I'm going to guess $12M) and take a low end draft pick (I'm guessing 6th) - or be stuck paying the entire thing when they cut him.
Ryan's WRs were utter crap last year. His only decent receiving option was a rookie TE

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I place any trust in Florio, but yeah the drip, drip, drip, and drip of more cases being filed is making it hard not to sideline Watson, and if any of these cases go against Watson think the hammer gets drops on him.
I don't disagree with your comments, but Florio seems to be leading the charge when it comes to the negative media coverage of Watson. It's almost like that's become his new Cowherd/Baker or Skip Bayless/Lebron claim to fame. Not saying the Kraft case is the same thing, but Florio's comments and coverage on the Kraft story were staggering when compared to Watson. He acted like Kraft was some hero who fought back against the illegal practice of secret video in sex stings.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan's WRs were utter crap last year. His only decent receiving option was a rookie TE
Yep. No disagreement. Was pointing out exactly why Ryan is worth more in a trade than Baker. Some see Ryan as declining, but even on the backside of his career he offers a ton of intangibles for a team like Indy.

Baker really doesn't have any kind of solid track-record. He could still end up being a solid QB, but there's a ton more unknowns, and he hasn't exactly shown himself to be an adept leader, either.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The uncertainty over Watson's future must be making the Browns more reluctant to move Mayfield. That would increase his price tag without increasing other teams' interest in him. He's going to be stuck in limbo...with $18.86M to console him.
something to be said for that no doubt.....I think it goes back to what they said when this first started out. If it's a deal that helps the Browns they will make it. If not......

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree, but that rookie TE is probably better than anyone we had catching passes (other than the RBs).