• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: NL Wild Card: San Francisco Giants @ Pittsburgh Pirates

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I understand why they started Cole last game to try and win the division but in reality he should have been saved for tonight or if they got lucky and won the division then game 1 of the NLDS.

This is why we aren't managers of MLB teams. You had a chance to WIN the Division and not be forced to play in this win or go home game.... I'd pitch Cole as well... Can't play it "safe" and not...

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why we aren't managers of MLB teams. You had a chance to WIN the Division and not be forced to play in this win or go home game.... I'd pitch Cole as well... Can't play it "safe" and not...

Oh yeah not second guessing the decision and trust me winning the division vs playing in a one game "playoff" is huge.

I guess worded a little off but for the Pirates they would have been better served as a team if Cole pitched last night or in a game one of a NLDS (if they won a division). It is just an unfortunate circumstance of still being alive on game 162 vs already having your playoff spot set.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really ought to save that bubbly for the visitors clubhouse. Classless arrogance.

I'm so disappointed in some of the shit I've seen the Boch involved in since he went up there. But the Giants and their fans celebrate EVERYTHING and I hope the Nats see that film. It's embarrassing for baseball.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates strutted Volquez out there. How can you feel sorry for them after that?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate this 1 game garbage

With the NLDS starting on Friday, they had time for a 3 game series for the wild card teams (all in KC and Pitt) Tues-Thurs (Monday left open for game 163 if needed). Why don't they do that? More TV and gate revenue too...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed....it's fucking weak....MLB could easily go to best of 3 or 5 format for the wild card.

Just play a normal 3 game series at the first WC's park, best of 3. Don't even need to expand the season, play it Tues to Thurs.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate interleague. I know, I know, I know. Teams are uneven so it's required. That should be fixed. Meaningless interleague games weaken the standings at the end of the season. Bullshit games should be replaced with meaningful divisional series!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate interleague. I know, I know, I know. Teams are uneven so it's required. That should be fixed. Meaningless interleague games weaken the standings at the end of the season. Bullshit games should be replaced with meaningful divisional series!

Interleague does feel like it's gotten stale. Used to be a big deal now who cares...
But if they get rid of it, eventually folks will want to see it again...
I don't see how they get rid of it, too entrenched now. MAYBE if they expand with 2 more teams, but I don't see that happening either. Teams will move first: As, Rays, etc.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interleague does feel like it's gotten stale. Used to be a big deal now who cares...
But if they get rid of it, eventually folks will want to see it again...
I don't see how they get rid of it, too entrenched now. MAYBE if they expand with 2 more teams, but I don't see that happening either. Teams will move first: As, Rays, etc.

Contract the Rays, move them to Nashville, or give Nashville an expansion team and even things back out. The last month of the season should be division-only games and drop this second wildcard (even though it's been exciting this year and no doubt drove a ton of revenue).

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah not second guessing the decision and trust me winning the division vs playing in a one game "playoff" is huge.

I guess worded a little off but for the Pirates they would have been better served as a team if Cole pitched last night or in a game one of a NLDS (if they won a division). It is just an unfortunate circumstance of still being alive on game 162 vs already having your playoff spot set.

oh I know, wasn't trying to say anything about you. Yeah I totally see your point and who knows IF Cole would have pitched any better last night either. Bottom line when the offense doesn't score a single run it doesn't matter if CY Young is out there pitching.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh I know, wasn't trying to say anything about you. Yeah I totally see your point and who knows IF Cole would have pitched any better last night either. Bottom line when the offense doesn't score a single run it doesn't matter if CY Young is out there pitching.

And Cy Young lost more games than any pitcher in history.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL. At least he has a sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh i know honestly didn't think that.

Yeah Bumgarner was 100% of the reason the Giants won. He placed his pitches perfectly and the Pirate hitters bit on all of them. Volquez on the other hand showed what he was, an average pitcher when struggling with location he gives up a huge HR to Brandon Crawford.