• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only trend I've spotted so far this year is that the umpires are making it up as they go along.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bullpen is probably going to be an adventure but this Reds team will score a lot of runs. The outfield defense already smells like dead fish.

Iglesias is broken. He WAS the bullpen. Smh.

And that too. Say what you want about Billy, but he was a good utility. Lack of speed is another issue. Winker is gross all around. I'm ready for Kemp already and it's just day 1.

I giggled when Pitt couldn't even tag out Votto of all dudes.

Last edited:

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Senzel is not the end-all-be-all by the way. Some of the Reds fans need to stop spiking their own drinks.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Senzel is not the end-all-be-all by the way. Some of the Reds fans need to stop spiking their own drinks.
I buy this. The clamor for something new is clouded by a fear of failure. A baseball team isn't like an NBA team. Senzel will hit .259 his first year.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy this. The clamor for something new is clouded by a fear of failure. A baseball team isn't like an NBA team. Senzel will hit .259 his first year.

Don't get me wrong, he will be good. Not avg. 300 good though like some are expecting.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks! Appreciate the shout out, even if it is from someone so fragile.

scouty, I’ve been throwing 50 mph fastballs you can’t hit here on the hoop since 2014. I told you back then what was coming. Do I need to throw underhand?

Try to keep up here. The CUBS are no longer owned by the Wrigley family or the Tribune Company. I’ve been a CUBS fan since the 70’s, and you?...one of those only when they are winning Cardinal fans I presume. Now, scouty…we both know who the “fragile” one is.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
scouty, I’ve been throwing 50 mph fastballs you can’t hit here on the hoop since 2014. I told you back then what was coming. Do I need to throw underhand?

Try to keep up here. The CUBS are no longer owned by the Wrigley family or the Tribune Company. I’ve been a CUBS fan since the 70’s, and you?...one of those only when they are winning Cardinal fans I presume. Now, scouty…we both know who the “fragile” one is.
Lol...so full of yourself, it's cute except for the stench from what you're truly full of...need to present some sort of "resume" to impress? The fragility just oozes out...kudos.

And you know what they say about ASSuming...wear that proudly.

FYI...I don't give a shit about the Srubs or how long you have been suffering with that loser organization...

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been a CUBS fan since the 70’s, and you?...one of those only when they are winning Cardinal fans I presume. Now, scouty…we both know who the “fragile” one is.

I'm not taking sides here, but I have to comment on your insinuation that Cardinal fans are fair weather fans. That is far from the truth. The Cardinals have a large and loyal fan base.
I think the Cubs do too, although I have to say that 5 years ago I knew of 2 Cubs fans in the office I work in. Since they have started winning, I know of 7 now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not taking sides here, but I have to comment on your insinuation that Cardinal fans are fair weather fans. That is far from the truth. The Cardinals have a large and loyal fan base.
I think the Cubs do too, although I have to say that 5 years ago I knew of 2 Cubs fans in the office I work in. Since they have started winning, I know of 7 now.
I will say that I don't know of 'new' Cardinals fans but around here, NW Indiana, a lot of people started wearing Cubs shirts and proclaiming their loyalty in the last couple of years.

My fondest reply to Cubs fans is when I discuss the Reds in mixed company (where very few of them exist) I inevitably run into somebody who asks me ... (disregarding the conversation) .... "Did the Cubs win today?"

I reply, "If you are a Cubs fan, why the fuck are you asking ME if they won? Reds fans never have to ask if they won. We already follow our team." (Usually, we lose but that's not the important part.)

But there are some real Cubs fans. They are pretty easy to spot. They already have heard of Alphonso Soriano.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that I don't know of 'new' Cardinals fans but around here, NW Indiana, a lot of people started wearing Cubs shirts and proclaiming their loyalty in the last couple of years.

My fondest reply to Cubs fans is when I discuss the Reds in mixed company (where very few of them exist) I inevitably run into somebody who asks me ... (disregarding the conversation) .... "Did the Cubs win today?"

I reply, "If you are a Cubs fan, why the fuck are you asking ME if they won? Reds fans never have to ask if they won. We already follow our team." (Usually, we lose but that's not the important part.)

But there are some real Cubs fans. They are pretty easy to spot. They already have heard of Alphonso Soriano.
I'm also in Northern Indiana. On the East side though. South of Fort Wayne.
Mostly Cubs fans around here with a mix of Reds and Cards fans. Even some Tigers fans.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also in Northern Indiana. On the East side though. South of Fort Wayne.
Mostly Cubs fans around here with a mix of Reds and Cards fans. Even some Tigers fans.
My bro is in Kendallville. We get together off and on for a TinCaps game. I like the ballpark but not necessarily the product. I am more of an indy ball fan than the Midwest but it's still a great value.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball, 1959 ... it doesn't get any weirder than this.
Give him some cortizone and run him through the whirlpool. He'll be fine in a couple of days. It's just the 'misery' in his elbow after throwing 150 pitches in spring fucking training.
Doc Finegold gives him a thumbs-up.

View attachment 201152

Thanks for sharing this article which is just another example of how men use to be real men.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This 4 games series to start the season is pretty big. The central is going to beat itself up this season.

Go Cardinals.

My prediction for the Cardinals is 84-78. Which will probably be 3rd in the division. I'm not high on their starting rotation. I worry about Carpenter at 3rd. Both his fielding and staying healthy to provide a solid bat.

I've been eagerly awaiting your prediction for our 2019 Cardinals. I'm happy to see that it's slightly better than the .500 prediction you made for last season and I think we both hope your current prediction will end up with a better winning percentage than you have predicted. I share your concerns however about our pitching as well as Carpenter staying healthy.

GO REDBIRDS !!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always fun to start a new season after a pennant. Regression is always possible if not probable. Can our bullpen replicate what it did last year? Can the magic reappear in Yelich's bat? A lot of winning baseball is about timely hitting, a kind of luck factor. With the top 3 teams in the division so close, a lucky break or 2 may secure the pennant.

Well said!

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most Cardinal fans, like many other fans of NL Central teams are not fair-weather fans. In fact, I believe Cardinal fans to be some of the most knowledgeable fans in all of MLB.

My comment was directed to scouty and nobody else here…sorry if it came off that way.

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol...so full of yourself, it's cute except for the stench from what you're truly full of...need to present some sort of "resume" to impress? The fragility just oozes out...kudos.

And you know what they say about ASSuming...wear that proudly.

FYI...I don't give a shit about the Srubs or how long you have been suffering with that loser organization...

You seem a little flustered scouty. Now, jump.

Mitziman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I really don't like Goldschmidt in St Louis. His bat along with good health of the rest of the team should keep the Cardinals in the playoff race for most of the season.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for sharing this article which is just another example of how men use to be real men.
Well, it does show that the medical staffs of pro sports teams weren't as interested in the health of the athletes as they were in preserving the idea that anybody can just get healthy if given enough time.

What amazed me was that the team saw fit to have the guy throw 150 pitches in a frickin' spring training game.

But players were very expendable then, and still are to some degree unless you are a 9-figure guy.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it does show that the medical staffs of pro sports teams weren't as interested in the health of the athletes as they were in preserving the idea that anybody can just get healthy if given enough time.

What amazed me was that the team saw fit to have the guy throw 150 pitches in a frickin' spring training game.

But players were very expendable then, and still are to some degree unless you are a 9-figure guy.

Our greatest generation ever, which was our parents generation, were mostly hard working people who had very little, but what they did have was love of country and knowing how to continue on with aches, pains, and injuries without a whole lot of complaining. In fact, the generation I'm talking about won the last war (World War II) that our country has won and what's even more impressive is our men and women who came home from that war once it was won got on with their business with more hard work to put food on the table for their families and not boast about what they had done when our country called them to serve. If I remember correctly I think you told me that one of your parents was born in 1919 as both of my parents were. I know I'm off topic since this is a baseball thread but the point I'm trying to make is that we are a soft society today vs. the generation before us and it's only getting worse with all of these people who are following us who are even softer.