• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NL Central thread

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Hendricks continues his trend of a great start followed by a terrible start!

I just hope C-Mart is ready to pitch a lot of quality innings for the Cardinals tonight.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen should be fresh. Only the 3rd game of the week. Weeks like these are brutal when you have stretches of 17 games in 17 nights during the season

YES, we definitely needed those two days off this week with a brutal stretch coming up against some very good teams.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This umpire tonight is getting an earful from multiple players.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A question for Cardinals fans:

What is our biggest need before the trade deadline?

My answer is some quality relief pitching who can find the strike zone since we lead the world in free passes.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, I'll admit that I took that too far but what is all this BS about 7 inning double headers, a ghost runner on 2nd base to lead off extra innings, and a 3 batter minimum for a relief pitcher? That's not the MLB game that I grew up to love. And please NL, don't ever go to that designated hitter which takes so much strategy out of the game.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I'll admit that I took that too far but what is all this BS about 7 inning double headers, a ghost runner on 2nd base to lead off extra innings, and a 3 batter minimum for a relief pitcher? That's not the MLB game that I grew up to love. And please NL, don't ever go to that designated hitter which takes so much strategy out of the game.

I agree with all of the above, just had to give a hard time because the main one that sticks out in my head is 9 balls to walk a batter.. and there were still walks!

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We took a tough loss tonight after the great job that Waino gave us but tomorrow is another day.

I know a game has many dimensions but Bader was the heel last night. How do you get doubled off second on a bloop that was caught by the 2nd baseman? HORRIBLE base running.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My answer is some quality relief pitching who can find the strike zone since we lead the world in free passes.
A relief pitcher would be the move. The bats are as cold as ice but you have to think that will turn around at some point

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Starting pitching. If Mikolis is out for an extended time, they need a starter.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting pitching. If Mikolis is out for an extended time, they need a starter.

Our starting pitching has done pretty well without Mickolis but I agree with you that we need him healthy in our starting rotation.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to figure out what kind of leverage Matt Carpenter has over the Cardinals, though, because this is clearly a hostage situation at this point

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to figure out what kind of leverage Matt Carpenter has over the Cardinals, though, because this is clearly a hostage situation at this point

You're right. Schildt keeps giving Carp more chances than he deserves and Carp keeps failing. I don't know the answer to this problem right now but it needs to be solved soon. As you said in an earlier post, our bats are as cold as ice right now but we've got a few bats that are not producing at all and you know who they are. We need to get all of this figured out soon too because our lead in the NL Central has just about evaporated.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right. Schildt keeps giving Carp more chances than he deserves and Carp keeps failing. I don't know the answer to this problem right now but it needs to be solved soon. As you said in an earlier post, our bats are as cold as ice right now but we've got a few bats that are not producing at all and you know who they are. We need to get all of this figured out soon too because our lead in the NL Central has just about evaporated.
Imo, the expectation really shouldn't be that the pitching gets the job done day in and day out. There are some depth issues there. The bats should be expected to be better and I think a team should always expect good defense.

Cards are 26th in Batting Average on Balls in Play. Can't go anywhere with that.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, the expectation really shouldn't be that the pitching gets the job done day in and day out. There are some depth issues there. The bats should be expected to be better and I think a team should always expect good defense.

Cards are 26th in Batting Average on Balls in Play. Can't go anywhere with that.

I have always respected your opinions when it comes to Cardinals baseball. Even though good pitching normally wins over good hitting you're right that we have some depth issues. I know that injuries are a part of the game and we have had more than our fair share of them so far this season but these injuries have exposed our lack of depth in both pitching and hitting. The only exception I can think of at the moment in a small sample is that Sosa is playing much better than DeJong was playing in almost every part of the game. I agree that we should always expect good defense.