• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NinerSickness, Eric Reid...?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is he able to play wide receiver? I mean Crabtree is out, he better find a way to produce as a wideout immediately. We made the right move by trading up, which placed us in perfect position to grab Cordarrelle Patterson. But nahhhhhh.

Furthermore, we freaking gave up a 3rd round pick for him where we could have gotten ourselves a steal in Keenan Allen (he certainly plays like Crabtree) - and could have produced for us immediately once Crabs was deemed "out" for the majority of the season.

We gave up a whole lot for a free safety. He better come through for us big time. That's your boy!!

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Man I wish the FO would have taken into account that Crabs was planning on tearing his tendon during OTAs during the draft.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I laughed.

Man I wish we had the foresight to draft a WR in the 4th Rd.

Patrick Willis could go down in preseason, but it's no problem because we can hit rewind and pick up an ILB in the draft. When Kaep gets hurt, we can get a QB too. I'm just so happy we purchased draft insurance so we can go back and lock in all these moves this year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man I wish the FO would have taken into account that Crabs was planning on tearing his tendon during OTAs during the draft.

No but, they know Crabs prior to last season had been labeled as an being an "injury prone" player. They know Boldin is not a long term answer, they know if Crabs were to stay with Kaep a year longer, he woul have produced gaudy numbers (please see his last 6-8 games of the season with Kaep) - which in fact would have made signing or extending him an extremely difficul / borderline impossible task. Thus we needed to make plans for his departure if it came to that...

It's not a matter of forecasting an injury it's stategically forecasting and planning for what we are used to. A healthy 16 game season Crabtree is an anomaly. Are we really suprised that he got hurt?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Patrick Willis could go down in preseason, but it's no problem because we can hit rewind and pick up an ILB in the draft. When Kaep gets hurt, we can get a QB too. I'm just so happy we purchased draft insurance so we can go back and lock in all these moves this year.

Now you're reaching for attention cause you're making no sense.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We didn't "NEED" an ILB or a QB. The key here is we did "NEED" a WR to some extent based on the circumstances I have described minutes ago in this thread. Glad you have so much faith in Patton BTW. shm.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, you have to admit that you opened the stupidity with your ridiculous OP. You opened yourself up for derision which this board is more than happy to heap upon you.

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point, we didn't "NEED" a WR as badly as we needed a Safety. Whitner isn't exactly the best cover safety and Craig Dahl doesn't seem like a true starting Safety with play making ability and was more just a safety net guy. The Front Office did what they felt was the best player available at Safety and at that time. Patterson might be an athletic freak but that doesn't mean he would have been the smart first round choice. I love the way the draft panned out. Injuries happen. I thought our WR core was pretty good after the Draft and obviously Harbaugh and Baalke see something in these guys to know they didn't need to reach on a guy like him. Unless he is going to be as great as Calvin Johnson, it wasn't worth getting a WR when Safety and our defense was a bigger concern after the second half of last year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, you have to admit that you opened the stupidity with your ridiculous OP. You opened yourself up for derision which this board is more than happy to heap upon you.

It was not stupid at all. We needed a potential #1 receiver badly and we passed on the opportunity to acquire one more than once. It's idiotic to think we should have targeted Geno Smith per se, just in case Kaep goes down. You cannot start more than one QB at a time. On the other hand, we can play 3 receivers simultaneously (I don't think we can do that with the ILB position), more importantly, we know damn well what the future holds for us with regard to Boldin and Crabs. We need to make plans now...but we ignored it.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To your point, we didn't "NEED" a WR as badly as we needed a Safety. Whitner isn't exactly the best cover safety and Craig Dahl doesn't seem like a true starting Safety with play making ability and was more just a safety net guy. The Front Office did what they felt was the best player available at Safety and at that time. Patterson might be an athletic freak but that doesn't mean he would have been the smart first round choice. I love the way the draft panned out. Injuries happen. I thought our WR core was pretty good after the Draft and obviously Harbaugh and Baalke see something in these guys to know they didn't need to reach on a guy like him. Unless he is going to be as great as Calvin Johnson, it wasn't worth getting a WR when Safety and our defense was a bigger concern after the second half of last year.

Yes we did! Especially considering how deep the safey class was in 2013. So are you implying that you would only target a WR in the first round unless he is as talented as someone as Calvin?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you mean to send Sickness a PM? I don't see the point of this thread.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers did not need another WR. heck everyone was thinking a good WR would be cut due to having too many already.

Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, Manningham, and Williams all were slated to fight for the 3rd WR slot and maybe one would have gotten released. Now they will all provide depth and move up one spot. Now instead of competing for the 3rd wr they are competing to be the second WR.

Jenkins will most likely win it. Manningham will probably be the 3rd WR and then it is a toss up. It would not surprise me if Patton was going to be "red shirted" like Jenkins was last year. Now he will get playing time and experience for when Bolden Manningham, and Crabtree (If he is after that big payday) are gone in a couple years.

BTW, stop acting like getting Reid was a bad thing. We haven't even seen him in a game yet nor do you have a clue which safety the niners would have gotten and if he would be any good.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo, first, I love reading your draft coverage but when you obsess about something...boy, do you obsess. Your insinuation that because this draft was deep at S that we should have held out is silly. Each S has strengths and weaknesses and this FO has been very good at targeting players that they feel will fit their offense/defense. If this FO traded up to get Reid, then based on their track record, they must have seen something that set him apart from the depth at the S position to get him. Secondly, you advocating guys like Keanan Allen, a guy that is coming off of injury as well, to take over for an "injury prone" Crabtree gave me a giggle.

The OTAs have barely started and you are already bitching. Nobody knew that Crab was going to blow out his achilles.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The point is you can literally do this little exercise with every single position on the team and go back and say this is who we should have drafted because this guy got injured. It's pretty ridiculous. WR was well below FS and D-line for need.

Also - we drafted a TE in the second and a WR in the fourth, so it's not like the passing game was neglected in this draft.

Not many were thrilled on trading up to get Reid, but we had real holes to fill at FS and DE. The way we did it may have been in question, but drafting a WR in the first would have been a luxury.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is you can literally do this little exercise with every single position on the team and go back and say this is who we should have drafted because this guy got injured. It's pretty ridiculous. WR was well below FS and D-line for need.

Also - we drafted a TE in the second and a WR in the fourth, so it's not like the passing game was neglected in this draft.

Not many were thrilled on trading up to get Reid, but we had real holes to fill at FS and DE. The way we did it may have been in question, but drafting a WR in the first would have been a luxury.

pre-injury its possible we wouldn't be able to keep crabtree, so if the right wr was there we should have taken him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 49ers did not need another WR. heck everyone was thinking a good WR would be cut due to having too many already.

Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, Manningham, and Williams all were slated to fight for the 3rd WR slot and maybe one would have gotten released. Now they will all provide depth and move up one spot. Now instead of competing for the 3rd wr they are competing to be the second WR.

Jenkins will most likely win it. Manningham will probably be the 3rd WR and then it is a toss up. It would not surprise me if Patton was going to be "red shirted" like Jenkins was last year. Now he will get playing time and experience for when Bolden Manningham, and Crabtree (If he is after that big payday) are gone in a couple years.

BTW, stop acting like getting Reid was a bad thing. We haven't even seen him in a game yet nor do you have a clue which safety the niners would have gotten and if he would be any good.

You want a list of the safeties that were drafted last month to compare to see had we not traded up, would we still been able to grab them?

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I am trying to say is that picking a WR in the first round is not always the best thing. I mean looking back over the last 15 years, I would say only about 14 of the 58 taken in the first rounds have been stars. A majority of them have been giant busts. Unless you felt a WR was some can't miss talent like Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald in this draft, why reach and take them high when you can get them in later rounds like we did in Patton, a guy who doesn't have the drop percentage that Patterson has? Also, we already have a lot of WR on the roster, half of them are hurt right now but its not like we don't have talent already there. I know Patterson has the freakish talent but why take a chance when clearly Safety was our biggest need along with D Line Depth going into this. As was stated before, they felt Reid was the best bet and could fit our system perfectly. I really like the way the draft worked out, we went and addressed our more serious needs right now which was the defensive side of the ball. We needed depth and young talent there. I would rather see the Niners trade up next year to get Marquise Lee if they are going to trade up for a WR in a draft. At least he produced consistently throughout college.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bingo, first, I love reading your draft coverage but when you obsess about something...boy, do you obsess. Your insinuation that because this draft was deep at S that we should have held out is silly. Each S has strengths and weaknesses and this FO has been very good at targeting players that they feel will fit their offense/defense. If this FO traded up to get Reid, then based on their track record, they must have seen something that set him apart from the depth at the S position to get him. Secondly, you advocating guys like Keanan Allen, a guy that is coming off of injury as well, to take over for an "injury prone" Crabtree gave me a giggle.

The OTAs have barely started and you are already bitching. Nobody knew that Crab was going to blow out his achilles.

Coming off an injury that is not "season threatening". Plus we're talking a 3rd round pick player that was once graded as a mid to late 1st round talent.

Nobody knew Crab was going to get injured, yes, but we were well aware of his tendency to get hurt. Last year was a fluke season for Crabtree (not production wise, but I know he is very good. I'm talking about being able to stay healthy). Last year was the first year Crabtree had ever played in a preseason game. Now let's act surprise that he is not going to play in the 2013 preseason games.

Even if we didn't plan for that (injury issues), we should have acted for the long term scenario with regard to him being a salary cap casualty. We knew it was going to be a problem in retaining him (look at our salary cap), yet we let a potential #1 WR in Patterson pass us by.