• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners trade conditional 2015 4th to BUF

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For WR Stevie Johnson. Adam Shefter (sp?) reporting.

Pick could become a 3rd.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of value this is a very solid trade. I don't think you can get a wr as good and productive as Stevie Johnson with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

He's also more of a sure thing to contribute right away. Only fall back is his contract. It's not big, but it could mean that Crab might be gone next year. That or someone else won't be resigned.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good get by the Niners, and now their offense should be pretty locked up at most skill positions. They're gonna continue to be tough, but it's gonna be the defense in this division that'll make the biggest impacts. This should leave an additional WR available at the back end of the second should we be inclined to do so. I'd rather see OL/DL/TE before a WR, but that's me.

Oh yeah, sign Baldwin already! :L

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, I have MUCH more faith in our FO's ability to TRADE for WR help then I do them DRAFTING it. Good trade for us, he's still young at 27, has posted 1,000 yd 6+TD seasons in three consecutive years, and can play the slot or outside, giving us versatility. Contract is reasonable 3 mil this year and the high 5 mils over the next three years.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is annoying. I still think the 49ers draft has been an F on who they have taken but I love me some Stevie Johnson. The fact it only took a 4th, ugh.

Seattle? Where were you in this trade? Either way A for 49ers, D for Bills. All the teams that have won the SBOWL in the last 20 years based on amazing WR play had two things: 1) TWO great WRs, Bills just have one now on paper, 2) HOF QB (Manning/Warner).

Whatever. Bills continue to show they have zero clue what they're doing and are taking as many splash players as possible to salvage the current management before they get moved. It's a VERY dark and sad time for Bills fans.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, I have MUCH more faith in our FO's ability to TRADE for WR help then I do them DRAFTING it. Good trade for us, he's still young at 27, has posted 1,000 yd 6+TD seasons in three consecutive years, and can play the slot or outside, giving us versatility. Contract is reasonable 3 mil this year and the high 5 mils over the next three years.

Definitely a solid pickup, but I don't see him getting 1000+ yds. The identity of that team is to pound the ball first, and spread it to the many of skill guys second. You have Crab, Boldin, and Davis that will all eat into his yds; ala Golden Tate in Seattle. Just my opinion.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid pickup but I am not gonna jump off a bridge because of it.

First of all I am curious how they will use him since they don't use a ton of 3 WR sets

Also depends on how much Kaep develops as a pocket passer, more then how many weapons they have.

I know Crabtree is FA after this year, not sure what Johnson's contract looks like but I wonder if this means they would let him walk.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid pickup but I am not gonna jump off a bridge because of it.

First of all I am curious how they will use him since they don't use a ton of 3 WR sets

Also depends on how much Kaep develops as a pocket passer, more then how many weapons they have.

I know Crabtree is FA after this year, not sure what Johnson's contract looks like but I wonder if this means they would let him walk.

Here's my take:

Harbaugh and Roman have come out stating this off-season that the Niners will be doing more 3-WR sets then in the last couple seasons.

Second, Kap has some deficiencies in terms of a pocket passer but he spent quite a bit of last season playing with Boldin and a bunch of guys that are either no longer on the team or buried on the depth chart (see Williams, Manningham, Jenkins, Baldwin, Celek, McDonald). Our offense started to do better as soon as Davis and Crabtree got healthy and back on the field. So the idea of having open targets would be helpful to his ability to read his progressions.

Lastly, with Crabs as a FA, I expect the Niners to attempt to sign him, especially with the cap going up like everyone is expecting. But in the event that Crab wants to shoot the moon with his contract, we have a guy now in Johnson who is young at 27, and under control for the next four years at a reasonable price>
2014: 3 mil
2015: 5 mil
2016: 5 mil
2017: 6 mil

All in all, it's a great move for us. It also lessens the NEED to draft a WR and we can use our picks for other areas of concern like CB and OLB with Aldon's recent idiocies.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a solid pickup, but I don't see him getting 1000+ yds. The identity of that team is to pound the ball first, and spread it to the many of skill guys second. You have Crab, Boldin, and Davis that will all eat into his yds; ala Golden Tate in Seattle. Just my opinion.

I list the yards, not as an expectation but as a test to his talent. I don't anticipate him getting 1,000 next season unless we change our offensive approach a bit but I am excited to have REAL talent at the position that is young and already signed long term.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take:

Harbaugh and Roman have come out stating this off-season that the Niners will be doing more 3-WR sets then in the last couple seasons.

Second, Kap has some deficiencies in terms of a pocket passer but he spent quite a bit of last season playing with Boldin and a bunch of guys that are either no longer on the team or buried on the depth chart (see Williams, Manningham, Jenkins, Baldwin, Celek, McDonald). Our offense started to do better as soon as Davis and Crabtree got healthy and back on the field. So the idea of having open targets would be helpful to his ability to read his progressions.

Lastly, with Crabs as a FA, I expect the Niners to attempt to sign him, especially with the cap going up like everyone is expecting. But in the event that Crab wants to shoot the moon with his contract, we have a guy now in Johnson who is young at 27, and under control for the next four years at a reasonable price>
2016: 5 mil
2017: 6 mil

All in all, it's a great move for us. It also lessens the NEED to draft a WR and we can use our picks for other areas of concern like CB and OLB with Aldon's recent idiocies.

Thanks for the info.

Wow didn't realize the cap numbers were that friendly. That definitely makes a difference and makes the deal way better for SF in my eyes.

Also Kaep has had decent numbers in his career. Especially in games outside of Seattle. I just question how much confidence he has in himself as a passer. Seems like he looks to run more then he should. Maybe this extra weapon helps him a ton though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep needs to focus on turning his head left first and foremost.... and don't throw carelessly...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info.

Wow didn't realize the cap numbers were that friendly. That definitely makes a difference and makes the deal way better for SF in my eyes.

Also Kaep has had decent numbers in his career. Especially in games outside of Seattle. I just question how much confidence he has in himself as a passer. Seems like he looks to run more then he should. Maybe this extra weapon helps him a ton though.

My bad, I misread the cap. He's signed through 2016, with one of the years at 5 mil taken out.

Shit, my OCD won't allow me to not list it:

2016: 6 mil

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I list the yards, not as an expectation but as a test to his talent. I don't anticipate him getting 1,000 next season unless we change our offensive approach a bit but I am excited to have REAL talent at the position that is young and already signed long term.

:agree:

You're right, I guess I was kind of adding to your stats.

I also have to say, it's been enjoyable having adult conversations with Niners fans. It usually ends up with a troll (from one of our teams) killing a thread, glad you guys are on our board! :suds:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

You're right, I guess I was kind of adding to your stats.

I also have to say, it's been enjoyable having adult conversations with Niners fans. It usually ends up with a troll (from one of our teams) killing a thread, glad you guys are on our board! :suds:

:suds:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a nice pickup for the 49ers and the price was right. Heck they had more draft choices then they needed , so good move on their part.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stevie is just like Ademola of NE.

Buffal for years since Moulds called it a carrer. That why Johnson name was known

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrific trade by the 49ers. I have to wonder how they are going to split the receptions between Crabtree, Boldin and Johnson though since the 49ers don't really run many 3 WR sets.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just surprised that the niners didn't trade one of their picks this year for him. They almost have too many picks to find roster spots for them all