• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the money he wants, but I'd pay a decent amount to make him the #1 CB in SF. He's not the same as he was, but he's still better than anyone the Niners have had at CB since Rogers' first year in SF.

And the fact that Brooks is a baller means he has trade value. If you have some depth at a position you gotta take advantage of it in order to fill weaker positions (like CB).

IF is the key word... ATM I don't believe our current depth is worth moving Brooks... I'd like to see Lemonade actually dominate and/or suplant Brooks as a pass rusher but that hasn't happen ATM therefore I wouldn't want to move Brooks...

Besides, Brooks has been very effective and the #2 guy on the defense behind Bowman in some respect. This aint the NBA, cant just trade guys who play well and expect to constantly compete season after season...

NFL is about continuity and til the time comes to move Brooks, it comes but til then, lets keep our defense in tact as much as possible. Its not like he'll be looking for a new contract soon.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lemonier. Lemonier is the replacement they have lined up.

No poop Watson.

But do we know he's good? No.

Do we know Brooks is all-pro caliber? Yes.

If Brooks was some overpriced mediocre linebacker then go ahead and replace him with the talented unknown. But not when he's an all-pro. The downside is far too great IMO. Especially if you're doing it just to get Nnamdi 2.0 in your defensive backfield.

We know you're rock hard for Lemon and that you can't get rid of Brooks fast enough. But you're thinking with your Lemon. Gotta think with your head bro.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No poop Watson.

But do we know he's good? No.

Do we know Brooks is all-pro caliber? Yes.

If Brooks was some overpriced mediocre linebacker then go ahead and replace him with the talented unknown. But not when he's an all-pro. The downside is far too great IMO. Especially if you're doing it just to get Nnamdi 2.0 in your defensive backfield.

We know you're rock hard for Lemon and that you can't get rid of Brooks fast enough. But you're thinking with your Lemon. Gotta think with your head bro.

Think about this with your head.

Lemonier & Revis starting

or

Brooks and Brock starting.

This is possibly what it could boil down to. And I know Revis' cap hit would be much larger than Brooks' 2014 salary, but t might be impossible to get Revis without trading Brooks.

Obviously this isn't the only option the Niners have. I actually think signing Vernon's little brother might be a good option. Or DRC, whom I wanted the Niners to sign this offseason long-term. Either way the Niners realistically are looking at losing Brown (who isn't that good anyway) and Rogers (who is already vastly overpaid). That's 2 starting CB vacancies.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about this with your head.

Lemonier & Revis starting

or

Brooks and Brock starting.

This is possibly what it could boil down to. And I know Revis' cap hit would be much larger than Brooks' 2014 salary, but t might be impossible to get Revis without trading Brooks.

Obviously this isn't the only option the Niners have. I actually think signing Vernon's little brother might be a good option. Or DRC, whom I wanted the Niners to sign this offseason long-term. Either way the Niners realistically are looking at losing Brown (who isn't that good anyway) and Rogers (who is already vastly overpaid). That's 2 starting CB vacancies.

I'll take Brooks and Brock over Lemonier and Revis all day long. ALL damn day long. Brooks is better than Lemonier, and Brock was better than Revis this year. Revis is only going to get worse from here on out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'll take Brooks and Brock over Lemonier and Revis all day long. ALL damn day long.

That's a pretty bold statement. I'd believe all day long. But all DAMN day long? No way.

Brock was better than Revis this year? Let's not get carried away with a couple of a good plays. Brock isn't even a starter. Revis is still a great starting CB. Maybe not all-pro' any more but he's better than anyone on the Niners by a large margin.

And people here need to start thinking with their Lemons too. Lemonier's a stud.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass on him. Getting old and didn't look great this year. We need to spend our money on our players. Revis is going to be on his Decline.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just gunna be too expensive. We have too many of our own that need to be signed

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but who's going to start at CB?

Brock, Culliver, and who ever they draft. Maybe throw Cox in the mix. certainly not ideal, but we got by this season with about the same mix of talent. Might could resign Rogers for less money.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Brock, Culliver, and who ever they draft. Maybe throw Cox in the mix. certainly not ideal, but we got by this season with about the same mix of talent. Might could resign Rogers for less money.

That's considerably worse than "not ideal" IMO. Culliver's coming off an ACL tear, and he wasn't even a starter before that. Brock isn't even as good as Tarrell Brown, and Brown isn't very good.

Rogers won't be a FA; he's going to be cut. Players don't typically re-sign with teams that cut them. They do sometimes, but it's not likely. Besides, he's a below-average CB at this point in his career.

And Cox wasn't even good enough to stay on the team.

This isn't really a strategy IMO. The Niners need to make concessions at other positions in order to have anything even decent at CB. I want the Niners to re-sign Culliver long term like they did Brock; his stock will never be lower, and he might be able to play CB or FS. But at this point, the way I see it, the Niners need the following starters:

#1 CB
#2 CB
C
Safety (unless Culliver can play FS)
WR (I'm hoping Boldin re-signs)
#3 WR (unless Patton shows something really good this postseason).
KR / PR

And they absolutely need to sign the following players long term:

Kap, Iupati, Aldon.

That's a pretty tall order. It can't be done without cutting into some player(s) who are already under contract. Unless you want to settle for a huge, gaping hole at CB like there would be with Brock starting (and probably Culliver)

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's considerably worse than "not ideal" IMO. Culliver's coming off an ACL tear, and he wasn't even a starter before that. Brock isn't even as good as Tarrell Brown, and Brown isn't very good.

Rogers won't be a FA; he's going to be cut. Players don't typically re-sign with teams that cut them. They do sometimes, but it's not likely. Besides, he's a below-average CB at this point in his career.

This isn't really a strategy IMO. The Niners need to make concessions at other positions in order to have anything even decent at CB. I want the Niners to re-sign Culliver long term like they did Brock; his stock will never be lower, and he might be able to play CB or FS. But at this point, the way I see it, the Niners need the following starters:

#1 CB
#2 CB
C
KR / PR

Kap, Iupati, Aldon.

That's a pretty tall order. It can't be done without cutting into some player(s) who are already under contract. Unless you want to settle for a huge, gaping hole at CB like there would be with Brock starting (and probably Culliver)

Your complete lack of knowledge when it comes to assessing Brock's talent complete kills any credibility any of your other statements could possibly hope to have. Maybe you should check out Brock's coverage ranking before spouting off stupid shit.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Your complete lack of knowledge when it comes to assessing Brock's talent complete kills any credibility any of your other statements could possibly hope to have. Maybe you should check out Brock's coverage ranking before spouting off stupid shit.

I suppose that's why he's behind an average & a below-average CB on the depth chart. And maybe that's why he signed long-term for peanuts compared to starting-CB money in the NFL right?

No, it's that the coaching staff is too stupid to play him. Get a clue. Brock's a decent CB, but he's nothing special.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#1 CB
#2 CB
C
KR / PR

Kap, Iupati, Aldon.

you asked who will start at CB, Not who should. My scenario is far more likely than signing a guy like DRC or Vonte Davis or Revis.

Players are cut and resigned by the same team all the time. A guy like Rodgers would understand that side of the business and would probably accept the pay cut as he is on a championship caliber team and he isnt gunna get much more money elsewhere.

I disagree with the level of talent we have a CB. You seem to think they all suck, but I think Brock, Brown and Culliver are solid. Brock and Culliver are unproven, I still have doubts but they are serviceable. Also I like Cox. Although he got cut, there is a lot of talent on the team and other needs. Talented guys are gunna get the boot especially a team with this much defensive talent.

There is still the draft! It is a shaky prospect, I know, But Signing big FA's hasnt been this Fo's M.O. I dont see that changing with the amount of players we need to resign and the amount of draft picks we usually have. This team builds through the draft, for better or worse.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the money he wants, but I'd pay a decent amount to make him the #1 CB in SF. He's not the same as he was, but he's still better than anyone the Niners have had at CB since Rogers' first year in SF.

And the fact that Brooks is a baller means he has trade value. If you have some depth at a position you gotta take advantage of it in order to fill weaker positions (like CB).

I'll agree if we had a shutdown corner this defense would be even more elite than it is. However I wouldn't want revis on the downswing of his career with health issues.

I would much rather we work the draft, I'm not a huge college follower but it seems there are no true shutdown corners that are worth a top pick this year. I feel we are fine with Brock as a #1 or 2 guy. I have faith that baalke can find more help in thus draft to bolster the Cb position. Not sure where brown and Rogers will end up, it would be nice to keep brown and cut Rogers but I bet brown wants to get paid. Culliver will be back in the mix and I look forward to see what he can do this offseason. Cox is still a solid depth guy and we have untested Morris back there.

I see no reason to trade brooks either. We have one of the best linebacker corps in the nfl and I'd like to keep it that way. I see no true replacement on this roster for him as of now.

This defense just needs our offense to click and put 7 up more than 3. If rather we find a beast WR in the draft first. Just in case boldin is gone and we don't resign Crabtree.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you asked who will start at CB, Not who should. My scenario is far more likely than signing a guy like DRC or Vonte Davis or Revis.

Players are cut and resigned by the same team all the time. A guy like Rodgers would understand that side of the business and would probably accept the pay cut as he is on a championship caliber team and he isnt gunna get much more money elsewhere.

I disagree with the level of talent we have a CB. You seem to think they all suck, but I think Brock, Brown and Culliver are solid. Brock and Culliver are unproven, I still have doubts but they are serviceable. Also I like Cox. Although he got cut, there is a lot of talent on the team and other needs. Talented guys are gunna get the boot especially a team with this much defensive talent.

There is still the draft! It is a shaky prospect, I know, But Signing big FA's hasnt been this Fo's M.O. I dont see that changing with the amount of players we need to resign and the amount of draft picks we usually have. This team builds through the draft, for better or worse.

He has proven that he's a phucking bum that cost us a super bowl. I've seen enough of him to transition him to safety. We need to get more corners in the upcoming draft. Morris I hope develops to be key player for us. I pay closed attention to the move we have made this year in regard to this position - I notice that our front office chose to part ways or gamble in letting certain players go (Cooper, Cox, Nnamdi) but yet made it their business to retain Morris. I am assuming that they have high hopes with this kid D. Mo and that he was showing something in practice to make them take extreme precaution with him so that he remains a 9er. Several weeks ago, Eric Reid posted something about D. Mo on Instagram that I didn't know. DMo might be the fastest player on our team if I'm reading Reid's comment correctly:

photo.jpg

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darrelle Revis - DB - Buccaneers

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport is told new Bucs coach Lovie Smith has "big plans" for Darrelle Revis.

RapSheet confirms Revis "absolutely" has a future in Tampa Bay. There was speculation otherwise immediately after the hire because Smith's background is in Cover-2 zone, but Lovie uses far more man-to-man coverage than popular opinion posits. Revis is going to be a star in Tampa. He finished the 2013 season as PFF's No. 1-rated corner and is a virtual lock to resume shadowing No. 1 receivers, as Lovie let Charles Tillman do often in Chicago.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 4 - 11:43 AM

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revis isn't going anywhere and I believe he will continue his success under Lovie.

As for our situation at CB, I am completely happy with Brock being one of our starting CB's going into next season. Brock is a pretty good athlete but makes up for it with technique and studying in the classroom. Ideally, I think Brock as a #2 CB but I think he'll be fine as the #1 guy until whoever we draft is ready to take over that role. He's proven this year that he is more than capable as a starter in this league, I look at him as a young T. Brown.