• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners interested in Darrelle Revis

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of expected a report of Revis being on or ahead of schedule with the recovery... anything to drive up/back the value he presents to outside suitors... lol

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of expected a report of Revis being on or ahead of schedule with the recovery... anything to drive up/back the value he presents to outside suitors... lol

Problem with that is any team is going to have their doctors check him out first before any trade is completed. If he is not ahead of schedule and the Bucs doctors look at him, that alone would end the Trade, so I doubt this is anything but the Truth.

Also there are no other suitors. Its why the Bucs are playing Hard Ball. Think about it, they are Offering only ONE 1st round pick and not even this year. For one of the best CBs in the league who is young.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More Revis chatter
April, 18, 2013 9:47AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

Throughout the offseason, we've been seeing a continuous stream of rumors regarding a potential trade of New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the most likely -- it not only -- suitor with the requisite cap space and need on the roster to make something happen. Earlier this week, a report indicated that the picks being discussed were a first-, third- and fifth-rounder, though it was not clear which year those picks were from. The prevailing thought is that the Jets require at least this year's first-rounder from Tampa Bay (No. 13 overall). There has also been a report that the Bucs believe the price for Revis is too high as it currently stands. And with a report from ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that the Jets are pressing the pause button on the situation, it's clear they don't like what the Bucs are offering either.

Speaking to reporters at the Jets' pre-draft press conference, new GM John Idzik didn't confirm that the team was interested in trading Revis, but he may have revealed the team's thoughts on the matter by what he didn't say, as noted by Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

Asked whether the CB would be on the roster this fall, Idzik replied, "I can't tell you. I don't like to look too far ahead, I really don't."

At this point, we're getting down to crunch time for this trade to be transacted prior to the draft. The Bucs will obviously want their doctors to have a look at Revis' knee before finalizing the swap, and that hasn't happened yet. A trade can also happen after the draft -- with 2014 picks -- but if the Jets are hellbent on getting that No. 13 overall selection, they need to get the ball rolling again soon.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Darrelle Revis - DB - Jets

A source tells ESPN New York that the Jets remains very interested in trading Darrelle Revis.

It's just confirmation that earlier reports of the Jets pressing the "pause button" were a leverage technique. The Bucs are willing to give up the No. 13 overall pick in next week's draft, but are "balking" at also surrendering their third- and fifth-round picks. Once the 11th hour hits, we'd expect some sort of compromise. The Jets aren't going to give Revis a contract extension, so letting him play out a rebuilding season and then walk for nothing would be silly.
Source: ESPN New York

Apr 18 - 8:22 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More Revis chatter
April, 18, 2013 12:03PM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

Throughout the offseason, we've been seeing a continuous stream of rumors regarding a potential trade of New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the most likely -- it not only -- suitor with the requisite cap space and need on the roster to make something happen. Earlier this week, a report indicated that the picks being discussed were a first-, third- and fifth-rounder, though it was not clear which year those picks were from. The prevailing thought is that the Jets require at least this year's first-rounder from Tampa Bay (No. 13 overall). There has also been a report that the Bucs believe the price for Revis is too high as it currently stands. And with a report from ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that the Jets are pressing the pause button on the situation, it's clear they don't like what the Bucs are offering either.

Speaking to reporters at the Jets' pre-draft press conference, new GM John Idzik didn't confirm that the team was interested in trading Revis, but he may have revealed the team's thoughts on the matter by what he didn't say, as noted by Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com.

Asked whether the CB would be on the roster this fall, Idzik replied, "I can't tell you. I don't like to look too far ahead, I really don't."

At this point, we're getting down to crunch time for this trade to be transacted prior to the draft. The Bucs will obviously want their doctors to have a look at Revis' knee before finalizing the swap, and that hasn't happened yet. A trade can also happen after the draft -- with 2014 picks -- but if the Jets are hellbent on getting that No. 13 overall selection, they need to get the ball rolling again soon.

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas explains why there's pressure on the Bucs to get this deal done:

Pat Yasinskas
Bucs would look bad if deal falls through

"The Buccaneers need to go ahead and make the Revis trade. If they don't, they’re going to look really bad to their fans, who have been waiting for this deal for weeks. Even after spending big money on Carl Nicks and Vincent Jackson in free agency last year and safety Dashon Goldson this year, ownership still needs to convince fans that it's willing to pay whatever it takes to put a winning product on the field. Revis would make the Buccaneers a better football team, bring some national attention and put people in the stands. If the Buccaneers somehow don't pull off a deal that has looked like a sure thing for a long time, they're going to have a lot of explaining to do to a fan base that doesn't want to hear anything but that Revis is coming to Tampa Bay."

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy cow! Revis past physical and the Jets get 1st this year and 4th (could turn to 3rd) next year. But that is not what is crazy. The crazy part is that the Bucs and Revis have agreed on a 6 year 96 million dollar contract with $0 gauranteed!!!!

I repeat NO MONEY GUARANTEED MONEY!!!!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So according to the Schef' the Buccs may cut or try to trade Revis this offseason. Interesting.

Revis & Bradley Roby as the Niners starting CBs next year?

Trade Brooks to make room for him?

Last edited by a moderator:

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
was he that bad or they don't want to pay him 16m per?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So according to the Schef' the Buccs may cut or try to trade Revis this offseason. Interesting.

Revis & Bradley Roby as the Niners starting CBs next year?

Trade Brooks to make room for him?

Hell no. Brooks is a baller.

I would not pay revis the money he want when he has a harder time stating healthy and will be coming on the downswing of his career.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There's a belief Lovie will bring in his Tampa 2 zone and Revis hates zone......that's the real short version.

that makes sense. he def doesn't fit that style. I would love him here at 10m per for 5 yrs. hell.. I will go big and offer him 10m guaranteed..

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
oh who the hell are we kidding.. if he is available. the redskins will be all over him. I am sure they will trade a second round pick for him.

it might actually be worth it to them too which is the crazy thing

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Hell no. Brooks is a baller.

I would not pay revis the money he want when he has a harder time stating healthy and will be coming on the downswing of his career.

I don't know about the money he wants, but I'd pay a decent amount to make him the #1 CB in SF. He's not the same as he was, but he's still better than anyone the Niners have had at CB since Rogers' first year in SF.

And the fact that Brooks is a baller means he has trade value. If you have some depth at a position you gotta take advantage of it in order to fill weaker positions (like CB).

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick's hatred of Brooks is starting to reach the levels of Bingo's hatred of Culliver. That's not healthy. And it's actually worse because Brooks is on the short list of the best linebackers in the league, while Culliver is a middling CB.

No way would I trade Brooks for another middling CB in Revis. The Revis of 3 or 4 years ago? Sure. But not the Revis of now. If I wanted old burnt toast, I would try to resign Nnamdi.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the money he wants, but I'd pay a decent amount to make him the #1 CB in SF. He's not the same as he was, but he's still better than anyone the Niners have had at CB since Rogers' first year in SF.

And the fact that Brooks is a baller means he has trade value. If you have some depth at a position you gotta take advantage of it in order to fill weaker positions (like CB).

What depth do we have at OLB? Skuta is ok. Lemon has shown some flashes, but given no indication that he is starting caliber. That's all we've got.

Nevermind that Aldon has one foot out of the league already.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick's hatred of Brooks is starting to reach the levels of Bingo's hatred of Culliver.

:what:

Did you not just read 1 post earlier where I said Brooks is a baller?

I'm not suggesting the Niners trade Brooks FOR Revis. I'm suggesting they trade Brooks and sign Revis as a FA if he hits the open market. Brooks has some trade value (not a whole lot; his salary is high. But he has some). Revis has little to no trade value at his price tag.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What depth do we have at OLB? Skuta is ok. Lemon has shown some flashes, but given no indication that he is starting caliber. That's all we've got.

Nevermind that Aldon has one foot out of the league already.

Lemonier has shown flashes, and he's one of the youngest defensive players in the league. He will be great by next season.

The Niners can't keep everyone on the roster, and they already have a huge need at CB. They need Boldin back IMO. They need to sign a FA CB. They need to lock up Iupati to a long-term deal. Not to mention Kap.

At least the Niners have a young, talented guy behind Brooks. Behind Kap, Iupati & Boldin they have nobody. And they have bad starting CBs already.

Last edited by a moderator:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't just trade arguably a top 5 linebacker without having a replacement lined up. I'm sorry dude, this idea is just another bad trade idea. Not gonna happen, nor should it.

If Revis gets cut, I would consider him depending on the price. But I wouldn't get rid of Brooks to be able to do it.

Brooks might be a ticking time bomb though. You might get your wish sooner rather than later.