• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners at Eagles...why not start?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way the NFL is right now especially the NFC having a winning record doesn't mean a whole lot. The Eagles didn't really beat a great team and probably the best team they beat was Dallas.

That's not a knock on the Eagles because despite that they still are a legitimately great team and a definite top 3 team in the league. Really most of the NFC didn't really play against a lot of great teams including the 9ers. But let's not pretend the Giants are in the same class as the real top teams in the league and beating them is a major accomplishment.

I think one of the concerns that could fly under the radar for the Eagles is the last team they played other than the Giants was on New Year's day so by the time the 9er game starts it'll be 28 days since they played someone different from the Giants. Will that manifest into anything? Probably not but I don't think that's a benefit to them in any way.
I agree with the NFC competition not being great and even taking that a step further, it really doesn't matter who beat who, especially early in the season. The Bills beat the Chiefs. The Chiefs thumped the Niners. Yada, yada. It means absolutely nothing at this point in time.
Imo, the whole S.O.S. argument is bogus anyway. It's the NFL, not college. Any team can beat anybody on a given day when the match-up is right for them. Hell, the Texans gave the Chiefs all they could handle. Washington beat Philly. Jags beat Dallas. The good news is that we can truly say this year, the current best 4 teams are in the championship round. No ifs, ands or buts necessary. We should have a great championship weekend with two hard fought close games. At least, that's my hope.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot agree with the fix, I expect SF to be able to run the ball... Eagles allow 121 yards/game and SF averages 138 yards/game.

I agree with @SeattleCoug

SF defense #1 against the run at 77 yards/game, Philly offense #4 rushing ball at 147 yards/game... if either can impose their will on the other, I believe they will win the game. Looking forward to this battle of the trenches.
Maybe I’m off but I think these two teams are mirror images of each other for the most part. They build through the line of scrimmage and win the majority of their games based on a physical identity they’ve cultivated and developed. The difference is in the quality of the QB. Hurts is an MVP candidate and Purdy is trying to manage the game.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles didn't really beat a great team and probably the best team they beat was Dallas.

See many comment regarding Eagles beating nobody, curious what great team did SF beat?

Teams beat with winning records:
Eagles: Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, Steelers, Giants x3
49ers: Seahawks x3, Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys

Eagles have stronger SOS and SOV, not surprising being they won the NFC East that was easily the best division in football this year.

1674564479408.png

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the way the NFL is right now especially the NFC having a winning record doesn't mean a whole lot. The Eagles didn't really beat a great team and probably the best team they beat was Dallas.

That's not a knock on the Eagles because despite that they still are a legitimately great team and a definite top 3 team in the league. Really most of the NFC didn't really play against a lot of great teams including the 9ers. But let's not pretend the Giants are in the same class as the real top teams in the league and beating them is a major accomplishment.

I think one of the concerns that could fly under the radar for the Eagles is the last team they played other than the Giants was on New Year's day so by the time the 9er game starts it'll be 28 days since they played someone different from the Giants. Will that manifest into anything? Probably not but I don't think that's a benefit to them in any way.

Who have the 49era best that is good?

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m off but I think these two teams are mirror images of each other for the most part. They build through the line of scrimmage and win the majority of their games based on a physical identity they’ve cultivated and developed. The difference is in the quality of the QB. Hurts is an MVP candidate and Purdy is trying to manage the game.
I do give the Eagles the edge at QB for sure. Different philosophy regarding QB usage so we really can't compare them on a head to head basis but obviously, Hurts is the much better player. I also give the Eagles an edge in the secondary which plays into the QB play as well. I think you are right about the line of scrimmage. These teams are built in the trenches and try to impose their will on their opponent. We will see which one does enough to win. It likely comes down to who makes a critical mistake. Either QB throws an untimely pick or somebody fumbles or something of that nature could well be the difference in the outcome. Special teams could be the difference too as the offenses and defenses could end up in a stalemate. Gonna be a fun game at any rate. Good luck to your boys and good luck to the Niners fans. I don't like either team but I do enjoy good, old fashioned, hard nose football. :suds:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who have the 49era best that is good?
Ffs, Jikkle said in his post that neither team beat anybody great because the NFC was weak. And again, as I pointed out, S.O.S. means absolutely nothing in this league. These are the two best teams in the conference and that's all that really matters

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've been waiting 4 months to finally play the Bengals, Chiefs, or Bills. Just one more formality to get out of the way now. And then we get to see a great matchup.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SF team plane crashes into the Eagles practice field and all of the players, coaches and front office guys on both teams die do the Cowboys go to the SB or do they have to beat the Giants first?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do give the Eagles the edge at QB for sure. Different philosophy regarding QB usage so we really can't compare them on a head to head basis but obviously, Hurts is the much better player. I also give the Eagles an edge in the secondary which plays into the QB play as well. I think you are right about the line of scrimmage. These teams are built in the trenches and try to impose their will on their opponent. We will see which one does enough to win. It likely comes down to who makes a critical mistake. Either QB throws an untimely pick or somebody fumbles or something of that nature could well be the difference in the outcome. Special teams could be the difference too as the offenses and defenses could end up in a stalemate. Gonna be a fun game at any rate. Good luck to your boys and good luck to the Niners fans. I don't like either team but I do enjoy good, old fashioned, hard nose football. :suds:
Good points. The San Fran blueprint has entailed managing the QB for quite some time. They feel perfectly comfortable in that spot. It also seems like for the first time they have a QB who can manage the game and get the ball to his weapons in position where they can YAC just like Jimmy G but now Purdy’s legs give them a guy who can extend plays with his legs and make big plays when the defense gets compromised having to cover for too long.

I also liked your comment on special teams. Not sure the state of affairs on the Niners but I am caught up on the Eagles. They have a reliable place Kicker which is a plus. However, their kick off coverage group has been spotty. Part of that is a inconsistency in Elliott being able to put the ball out of the end zone. The Eagles aren’t dynamic in the return game. They’re also on to their back up punter who was meh up until this past weekend. This weekend he had his best game with 3 punts inside the 15 yard line.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*You’re
As in “hey, you’re a black hockey player. Watch out for bananas raining down upon you in Beantown”

Or

“If you’re black you better have thick skin if you want to play centerfield in Fenway.”
There should be a question mark outside the parentheses at the end of your post.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will not be a close game.

The Cowboys defense exposed the 49ers offense. Not one TD from Purdy. And now he is playing a team with 15 more sacks than the Boys.
And I'm willing to bet the Eagles offense will have no trouble against this 49's D.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will not be a close game.

The Cowboys defense exposed the 49ers offense. Not one TD from Purdy. And now he is playing a team with 15 more sacks than the Boys.
And I'm willing to bet the Eagles offense will have no trouble against this 49's D.

That's an interesting hot take. What do you think the cowboys did that exposed the niners defense that the eagles will now exploit?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting hot take. What do you think the cowboys did that exposed the niners defense that the eagles will now exploit?
Purdy was under duress a lot in that game and it caused him to have a pedestrian performance.
Now it's a better pass rush ....and in a hostile environmental.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if the Eagles can exploit their apparent edge in the passing game against the Niners. They have a good set of pass catchers in AJ Brown, Devonta Smith and Dallas Goedert. This should be an edge for Philly that Hurts should be able to take advantage of. Dallas was able to find some seams but of course Dak choked and threw some bad INTs, and they also had drives bog down and had to settle for FGs.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot agree with the fix, I expect SF to be able to run the ball... Eagles allow 121 yards/game and SF averages 138 yards/game.

I agree with @SeattleCoug

SF defense #1 against the run at 77 yards/game, Philly offense #4 rushing ball at 147 yards/game... if either can impose their will on the other, I believe they will win the game. Looking forward to this battle of the trenches.
You make good points, but I think I will stay with my thought about all that. I think the niners will have a huge day running the ball.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make good points, but I think I will stay with my thought about all that. I think the niners will have a huge day running the ball.

The Eagles have struggled at times this year to stop good running games. Their defense is much better against the pass than run IMO, so that could well be an issue. They did add Linval Joseph and Ndamukong Suh mid season, and that helped add depth with the run D, but that's a potential issue for sure, and Shanahan is as good as they come in scheming run offense.