• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Chubb

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand some people really like defense as well, and I agree. I like defense as well. I agree the rules are all geared for the offense. So there is a way to turn the tables a bit to make it more challenging for the offense. But protecting the leagues stars and requiring proper tackling techniques should be paramount. This league is more popular and profitable when its stars are on the field healthy.
Injuries will always be part of the game. At what point do you quit making rules to protect the players at the expense of the integrity of the game?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries will always be part of the game. At what point do you quit making rules to protect the players at the expense of the integrity of the game?
I guess if you make this one rule, you no longer have to worry about making any further rules because it would eliminate most season ending injuries from contact in the league.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asking guys to have better form/technique in tackling doesn't change the integrity of the game, though. It's reinforcing something they are taught from day 1 when they step onto the field. This isn't just an NFL thing, but trickles down - because guys unlearn good habits and learn bad ones as the rise up the ranks. Eliminating the launch tackle at all levels would take some adjustment for current NFL and some college players, but ultimately would be a non-issue as it continues to be enforced at all levels.

A tackle is still a tackle. You can still hit guys really hard. None of that is changing...what should is the ability to just launch your body like a cannonball where you get to protect yourself while heightening the risk of injury for anyone else you happen to crash into...be it the offensive guy on the other team, or in many instances, a teammate who catches friendly fire. Not just helping to reduce injuries, but it would likely reduce the personal foul hits as well as targeting...safer and less penalties.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Jalen Hurts is running the ball in that exact same situation and then his knee is destroyed. It will take another fn QB having this happen to them before the league finally sees the writing on the wall and will make guys waist tackle like it should have been all the time.
Just make the NFL flag football then and be done with it because over time the next generation of Karen’s will find tacking around the waist to be problematic

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are telling me is that a professional football player can't dive at a waist versus knees? It is a conscious effort on where to hit a guy unless it is bang bang, and those plays are not going to cause injuries like that.
Fitzpatrick doesn’t dive at his knees. What play did you watch?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just make the NFL flag football then and be done with it because over time the next generation of Karen’s will find tacking around the waist to be problematic
So you are saying, unless a guy has a better chance for a season ending injury with a defensive playing launching themselves like they are a missile, that the NFL is just boring and not worth watching?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitzpatrick doesn’t dive at his knees. What play did you watch?
I mean...this one...

Social media blasts Minkah Fitzpatrick for injury to Browns ...

Dirty' Minkah Fitzpatrick hit behind awful Nick Chubb injury ...

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying you tackle different in a game than practice?
Bwahahaha! Yes. Get with the program my guy. Nobody does live tackling in camp anymore let alone mid week practice in the NFL.
LOL rolling under a player and not wrapping up is 101 tackling? Nope.
Fitzpatrick attacks the ball carrier from the side with his head and shoulders across the front of the man. He doesn’t roll under anybody. What did you watch?!?!?
I can tell you didn't play football bc that is not a good form tackling
I coached tackling for 12 years and played the game for 8 years. I know what I’m talking about. There is no “form tackle” opportunity when a player isn’t downhill and coming at a player.
Show me where I said it was a dirty play? Maybe that is your confusion. I am talking about a form tackle. It isn't my place to say if it is dirty or not. The Colorado St player was a dirty hit. This play was just bad tackling. Argue you if you want....but any football player will tell you this is bad tackling.
Is he on the ground? Then that’s a good tackle. Period. You must have quit football before high school. Things rarely go as anticipated in the heat of the moment on the field.
Rolling under a player, not wrapping up, helmet to knee...nope, that's not tackling.
He didn’t get his wrap. That’s only criticism that can be laid on that tackle. His helmet makes contact with nothing. Absolutely nothing. His trunk and body weight came in at Chubb’s knee. Neither his head nor shoulder make contact with anything. You need to look at that full replay again. You’re in the weeds.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying, unless a guy has a better chance for a season ending injury with a defensive playing launching themselves like they are a missile, that the NFL is just boring and not worth watching?
Launching? WTF are you talking about? Go play soccer, Nancy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not even close to an apples to apples comp...

But the overall sentiment is not far off. A bigger issue with the rules is that it still allows for guys to launch themselves like missles and doesn't incentivize sound tackling technique. Hit 'em high, or low, the approach should always be an attempt to wrap up the ball carrier - and not launch your body like a projectile. Currently the rules still allow for this. IMO, launching your body without an attempt to make an actual tackle (i.e. wrap) should be the penalty. Any attempt to wrap in a tackle would not lead to any penalty. Mainly because, you really can't head-hunt/target if you are making a sound, technical tackle.

Not only would that offer more protection for the offensive player, but for the defensive player as well.
Tell me you’ve never had to tackle a bigger player in the open field without telling me you’ve never had to tackle a player in the open field.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amazing, what some of the posters here are suggesting.
“Excuse me…Mr. Ball Carrier, sir, if you would kindly go to ground please, I would greatly appreciate it. Then my mom packed orange slices and juice boxes. Would you like to enjoy a snack with me?”

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should be, because once that QB makes himself a runner, this is very likely a real possibility. Hurts is way too damn good to have some defender go F it, lets hit those fn knees with all my weight after I launch myself.

If the defense was subjected to these same kind of hits, maybe they wouldn't make so many of them. However, the only time they are hit like this is from their own damn teammates launching themselves.
The QB needs to get out of bounds or slide. If a QB is hurt trying to fight for extra yards, that’s on him. And Hurts actually was injured on a similar play last year. Never once even thought to be critical of the tackling technique.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Hilton is one of the best tackling DBs I've seen play. Tell me how his approach here is demonstrably different than Fitzpatrick's approach.
1) he is standing his ground not throwing himself at the ball carrier.
2) he hits considerably higher on the legs and lifts with his shoulders which causes the ball to pop out.
3) he is in the vulnerable position so he gets low to protect himself from injury without hitting ekelers knees.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just not true at all. You cannot tell me that guys can't try and wrap up a guy up. It may not always be to "form" or "pretty" but there is a massive difference between just deciding to launch your body into someone and trying to actually tackle someone.

I get it, you feel like your guy is being singled out because of the injury that happened. I don't think anyone actually thinks there was any ill-intent...but this launching thing has been in issue for years. I've said since they started with the personal foul and targeting fouls...they are only treating the symptom and not the root cause.

These guys grow up learning how to properly tackle. At some point, they move to the launch style because it's allowed and it's just easier to "hit" than to actually tackle...but if they were to remove that, guys would have to go back to actually making a tackle, which they are taught to do from day one pee-wee.
i don't feel like "my guy" is being singled out at all. My responses would be the same if it had been Browns vs Vikings or Browns vs Seahawks two nights ago. For the most part, guys do what they feel necessary in that split instant of a moment to get a guy down. Yes, as crazy as you might think, guys actually DO wrap up and "properly form tackle" ballcarriers when they feel it's the most advantageous way to get a guy down *GASP* shocking, i know.

lol, so what do you suggest? that there be massive fines? a 15-yard penalty? you think that's going to stop the occasional shredded knee? what will they call the infraction? *tweeeeeet*...."unnecessary roughness, number 21, defense: using his body as a projectile towards the ballcarrier's lower body"

lol get the fuck out of here.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me you’ve never had to tackle a bigger player in the open field without telling me you’ve never had to tackle a player in the open field.
Played football from 6th - 12th grade...I've gone up against my fair share of bigger guys. Always was told, hit and wrap. Nothing is changing here except just not allowing someone to hurtle their body recklessly.

Tell me you don't understand how to properly tackle without telling me you don't know how to properly tackle...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't feel like "my guy" is being singled out at all. My responses would be the same if it had been Browns vs Vikings or Browns vs Seahawks two nights ago. For the most part, guys do what they feel necessary in that split instant of a moment to get a guy down. Yes, as crazy as you might think, guys actually DO wrap up and "properly form tackle" ballcarriers when they feel it's the most advantageous way to get a guy down *GASP* shocking, i know.

lol, so what do you suggest? that there be massive fines? a 15-yard penalty? you think that's going to stop the occasional shredded knee? what will they call the infraction? *tweeeeeet*...."unnecessary roughness, number 21, defense: using his body as a projectile towards the ballcarrier's lower body"

lol get the fuck out of here.
Except you are already getting that with hits to the upper body, head, etc...and tweeet....15 yard, targeting....This would almost remove that issue since guys don't tackle helmets (at least not often)...and if you can't just hurtle your body at someone, chances of getting one the current flags would be greatly diminished.

Your argument doesn't really work. But, keep on telling me how it would ruin the game....

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you are already getting that with hits to the upper body, head, etc...and tweeet....15 yard, targeting....This would almost remove that issue since guys don't tackle helmets (at least not often)...and if you can't just hurtle your body at someone, chances of getting one the current flags would be greatly diminished.

Your argument doesn't really work. But, keep on telling me how it would ruin the game....

says the guy who thinks because he played 6th grade football, he's far more learned on how defensive players in the pros should go about their craft, than the pros themselves.

i actually though you were one of the smarter bengals fans on this site. so much for that idea.