• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Chubb

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
says the guy who thinks because he played 6th grade football, he's far more learned on how defensive players in the pros should go about their craft, than the pros themselves.

i actually though you were one of the smarter bengals fans on this site. so much for that idea.
I never said I knew anything because of 6th grade ball...guy said I never played. Pointed out I did. Also coached some. So, I answered his question...yes, I've had to tackle guys bigger than me.

But, here you are trying to make it personal. Typical ... can't get your way, so let's just try and talk down to someone, make them feel less than, curse at them and then make fun of them.

Your replies say more about you than they do about me....

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's be honest: it's because we all like and admire nick chubb as a player and person, that it's causing some of us (the softer-brained among us) to allow what happened to him, to make them a prisoner of the moment and overreact emotionally. had it been some no-name backup rb or someone who isn't an all-pro, nobody would bat an eye, and we certainly wouldn't have this endless thread with these einsteins trying to rationalize these ridiculous standards on "how to make the game safer"

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me you’ve never had to tackle a bigger player in the open field without telling me you’ve never had to tackle a player in the open field.

yep

tackle a bigger player low and head to side to avoid taking a knee to the dome

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
says the guy who thinks because he played 6th grade football, he's far more learned on how defensive players in the pros should go about their craft, than the pros themselves.

i actually though you were one of the smarter bengals fans on this site. so much for that idea.
From a guy that played college football? Pro football yourself? If you are going to diminish his thoughts because he didn't play above high school, then you have to of done it yourself, otherwise you are the pot calling the kettle black and you just invalidated your own response.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a guy that played college football? Pro football yourself? If you are going to diminish his thoughts because he didn't play above high school, then you have to of done it yourself, otherwise you are the pot calling the kettle black and you just invalidated your own response.

you know what? you're right, that wasn't kosher of me. I apologize for that, @Cincyfan78. neither your lack of experience, nor mine, with actually playing this game at the professional level has any bearing on the discussion at hand.

That said, I'd be more than willing to bet my 401k that if you took a survey of a random sampling of NFL players (BOTH offensive and defensive players), the great majority would be aghast at this idea being floated around in this thread, that of further obstruction of defensive player technique/approach.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know what? you're right, that wasn't kosher of me. I apologize for that, @Cincyfan78. neither your lack of experience, nor mine, with actually playing this game at the professional level has any bearing on the discussion at hand.

That said, I'd be more than willing to bet my 401k that if you took a survey of a random sampling of NFL players (BOTH offensive and defensive players), the great majority would be aghast at this idea being floated around in this thread, that of further obstruction of defensive player technique/approach.
All good.

I'd agree with you. I don't think the players would like it.

But, I'll point out this has very little to do with Chubb for me. I've been saying this since they introduced targeting and personal foul hits for "hard hits". The flags on those plays treat a symptom, and not the root cause which, IMO, is a lack of true tackling. This injury just happens to coincide. I think it is at least less likely to sustain an injury of this type if players can't just dive at someone...but I'll digress on that for a moment.

Now, of course there are still wrap-up tackles...I'm not saying that those don't exist or even that they aren't the majority of tackles.

But if you could remove targeting/personal foul hits simply by saying that if a defenders attempts to wrap tackle/hit...he won't be flagged...I'd bet there would be at least a little momentum for that. You could get back to having hard hits and worrying less about getting flagged for them. The safety part of it would be an added bonus.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's be honest: it's because we all like and admire nick chubb as a player and person, that it's causing some of us (the softer-brained among us) to allow what happened to him, to make them a prisoner of the moment and overreact emotionally. had it been some no-name backup rb or someone who isn't an all-pro, nobody would bat an eye, and we certainly wouldn't have this endless thread with these einsteins trying to rationalize these ridiculous standards on "how to make the game safer"
The discourse always changes depending on who gets hurt. If some 4th string safety for the Dolphins had the same concussion issues Tua had last year no one would really care that the Dolphins rushed him back as quickly as they did the first time. But because it’s a young up and coming QB the reaction is vastly different.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 0.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played football from 6th - 12th grade...I've gone up against my fair share of bigger guys. Always was told, hit and wrap. Nothing is changing here except just not allowing someone to hurtle their body recklessly.
You never had to leave your feet to try and make a tackle? Ideally you don’t want to but if you need to stop a man in the open field that’s what you do. It’s so prevalent and it’s become such a part of the fabric of the game that we offensive guys adjusting with the hurdle. 99 mph through a ball carrier’s legs gets the job done. This is a play that if you watch one half of football on a fall weekend you will see occur a dozen times in that one half. It just so happens that at this time he was planted because he’s trying to break another tackle. If Fitzpatrick hesitates and Chubb breaks that tackle he’s justly maligned by his coaches and teammates as well as Steelers fans for not making a play when he could have.
Tell me you don't understand how to properly tackle without telling me you don't know how to properly tackle...
His technique there is absolutely sound. He gets his head and shoulders to the upfield side of the ball carrier. He ensures that Chubb can’t finish the run or break a tackle. He completely stops his forward momentum by upending his leverage which exists in his legs. If he’s solo in the open field and he does that without a wrap you’re right, that’s a tackle that can be easily broken by a back with great balance.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, the brutality and arbitrary gut punches like these (ARod, Chubb and it's week 2) are a big reason I can't get super into football. It's a bummer and it happens every year to somebody great. Sure other sports have injuries but not like the NFL, that's captain obvious level. And that takes something away from my enjoyment that the other 2 sports don't have.

I only have time to follow 2 anyway LOL

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, the brutality and arbitrary gut punches like these (ARod, Chubb and it's week 2) are a big reason I can't get super into football. It's a bummer and it happens every year to somebody great. Sure other sports have injuries but not like the NFL, that's captain obvious level. And that takes something away from my enjoyment that the other 2 sports don't have.

I only have time to follow 2 anyway LOL
There might be more injuries in football as a whole. But as a Tigers fan, starting pitchers are always in the crosshairs of a season ending injury.

And starting pitchers in general. I’m not sure there is a position in sports that sees more guys go down with soft tissue injuries.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There might be more injuries in football as a whole. But as a Tigers fan, starting pitchers are always in the crosshairs of a season ending injury.

And starting pitchers in general. I’m not sure there is a position in sports that sees more guys go down with soft tissue injuries.
It's bizarre how it's literally expected that you WILL have TJ surgery at some point in your career. Like bionics or something.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pitchers should start tossing the ball underhanded.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitchers should start tossing the ball underhanded.
Really don’t know why nobody does it. There is no rule against it, so long as it isn’t deceptive.

You can throw that way all damn day. And ain’t nobody gonna touch a rise ball.

Shoulders and elbows much prefer that motion. You lose velocity but avoid wear and tear.

The best starter ever (imo) didn’t pitch overhand or even three quarter. And in doing so was chest up after the delivery. Instead of his weight out over his feet where you aren’t in a position to move.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's been extra ridiculous lately with Detroit but yea...agree with you on that.

Detroits pitching injuries have been like losing the entire defensive backfield or something lol

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his explanation is spot-on and it is the same thing I have been saying about it. It was a clean hit against a big, powerful runner. It's unfortunate his leg got locked under him and an injury occurred. It's football.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don,t think it was a dirty hit.football is just a very violent game and injuries are just part of the game unfortunatley